• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Train - Amalfi Coast to Florence

Ana3

10+ Posts
We are staying in Minori on the Amalfi Coast in September and then leaving for Florence. Is it more convenient to travel to Salerno and take the train from Salerno-Florence, or, travel to Naples and take the train from Naples-Florence? We are not fans of the bus so we would rely on the ferry or other options. Appreciate your thoughts!

I'd very much be comparing the specific timings on trenitalia.com to see which worked best for when I wanted to travel. That said, if it's reasonably close on overall timing, then I'd absolutely choose Salerno because:
- Salerno is a much smaller station, so less stressful
- The port isn't stressful either, and is very much walkable from there to the train station (and not an unpleasant walk from memory)
- You'll probably see Napoli - Minori on the arrival journey, so seeing the coast to the south offers something different.

I'd very much be comparing the specific timings on trenitalia.com to see which worked best for when I wanted to travel. That said, if it's reasonably close on overall timing, then I'd absolutely choose Salerno because:
- Salerno is a much smaller station, so less stressful
- The port isn't stressful either, and is very much walkable from there to the train station (and not an unpleasant walk from memory)
- You'll probably see Napoli - Minori on the arrival journey, so seeing the coast to the south offers something different.
Sounds like Salerno it is then! Thank you! I've checked the Trenitalia website and it looks straight forward and easy seat selection with Business Class option. However, with Italo’s Club Executive (September schedule isn’t posted yet) the seat selection has limited seats available that are across each other with table in between. I’m not sure if I’m reading the seat map correctly. Just wondering if you have any thoughts between the two companies and their offerings?

I don't as I've never caught an Italo train before, but others here have, so you should get some insight from them.

I've always liked Trenitalia, and the upgrade to 1st class often still comes in at a modest price (compared to the :oops:o_O:oops:o_Oo_O pricing of 1st class tickets in the UK).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina