• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Train Question? Florence-Venice-CT-Rome

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
Hi, my friend is planning a trip with her husband around the time of Sept 13 through Sept 21. They are flying in from Barcelona to Florence. They want to use trains to move around. Florence to CT, then to Venice, then Rome. She asked me if she needs to reserve her seats before hand or can she buy it the day of travel? For some reason I can't remember if I bought my tickets ahead of time or day of my travel last time I was in Italy. I think I bought them the day of but not positive.

I want to say it depends on the train they need to take? I offered to post her question here on the forum to see if anyone would know. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

I used the train in my last 2 trips-Rome-Florence/Rome-Florence-Venice. I booked online and was glad I did. Very full both times. Got a good rate booking ahead, as well. If they know their plan book online soon.

Hi Chiaro, thanks so much for your comments and reply. I'll text my friend. She's currently working on lodgings right now but wanted some train info to figure things out. Much appreciation.

If she could change her flights, it might be better to fly into either Venice or Rome to avoid too much backtracking. To go to Cinque Terra they will train from Florence and back. Then either to Rome or Venice and back through Florence to get to Venice or Rome (if that makes sense). Or fly into Pisa, see CT and then the other cities might work.

Reservations would make sense for the Venice/Florence/Rome fast trains - easily done online.

It's a good idea to price different routes for train, as it can vary. My Rome to Venice was cheaper then my Rome to Florence ticket. Train is a good way to go if traveling with one suitcase each.

Hi GailS, thanks so much for your comments and recommendations. When she first texted me her cities, I thought the same thing. It seems like a bit of backtracking. I'm going to send her a link to this thread so she can read your suggestion about possibly flying into Pisa. Maybe she hasn't bought their airline tickets yet.

Hi Chiaro, I think checking prices on different routes is a great suggestion to see all of the possible options available. I will post this link on a text message to her so she can read all of your wonderful tips and recommendations. I completely agree with the one suitcase recommendation and packing light. She and I traveled together in 2005 (her first time to Europe & only my second). We went with 31 inch suitcases each and as a result we missed our train connection in La Spezia because we couldn't carry our suitcases fast enough up the stairs. It is one of the funniest travel stories in my life. We roll over laughing every time we remember it.

Thanks so much Chiaro & Gail for your replies and recommendations. Much appreciated.

I found quite a difference in prices as it got closer to travel-more expensive. Also, the trains did not have empty seats. Popular routes-Rome-Florence-Venice.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina