• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Northern Italy Train to bus transfer timings trustworthy?

als

Hello! Hoping someone has experience and is willing to give good advice. A train trip from Varenna-Esino to Tirano that I had previously researched had a direct, nonstop route. Now that the schedules have posted for June the route is to Sondrio, and then a bus Sondrio to Tirano. The train arrives in Sondrio at 10:20am and the bus leaves at 10:25am (!) When I map the walking route from train to bus on Google Maps it shows 6 minutes walk. I am nervous to book this, but the ticket pops up as a unit when searching connections from Varenna-Esino to Tirano; same combo at different times all day long. Nothing to worry about? Thanks for any advice!

1684974105555.png

Sorry, no experience whatsoever. But I looked at the timetables and noticed that until the 10th of June this line still travels direct with no need to change in Sondrio. From then on it indeed entails a change in Sondrio. I don't know if this is helpful or not for you.

Last edited:
On the whole I find Italian trains very punctual and buses often so, but obviously subject to the traffic they encounter.

My personal view would be 'nice bonus if the train arrives early', but expecting to miss that connection (and you may be expected to buy your bus ticket from a nearby tabaccheria before boarding the bus

However... if that is a bus laid on by the railway as a substitute service, for a line that's temporarily out of use, then I'd expect it to be 100% a reliable transfer.

Thank you everyone! It is really a guess on my part, but I suspect that this is a situation where this is a substitute service. The bus ticket is included in the timing and price of the transit. Crossing fingers for that!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina