• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Transatlantic 2021

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Well, this is an off ramp from the Slow Europe norm, as it was for us. Hey when COVID started to wind down at the end of 2021 we jumped at the chance to getaway safely. Honestly, I was the main driver for this trip because I always wanted to cross the Atlantic. My great grandfather, grandfather, father, and son had all made “the crossing” so I wanted to experience being on the water 1500 miles from anywhere.

So, if you ever thought about a repositioning cruise, I hope our adventures will answer some of your questions or concerns. The crew/passenger ratio was almost 1 to 1 and there were a ton of benefits that along with a ticket at a slashed in price was hard to pass up. We are not cruisers, but honestly we had a lot of fun.

Bon Voyage - Transatlantic 2021

Sorry for being so slow to upload.
BTW - What a great way to return home after an extended visit to Europe.

Lovely photography, Colo, you have a good eye and the photos really help to transmit your experiences.

Nice to hear, as well, that the cruise operators were professional in their service (if I understood correctly). Good service is not a given these days, in any realm - so encouraging to hear that such a complex operation can be carried out to the customers' satisfaction.

Joe - Thank You - I have always admired your posted photos so this coming from you means a lot.
This was the first trip I did not take my primary camera and lens. I took a Canon G7X Mk II and an older G15 as the back up. G7 as the primary to take the picture and the G15 set to automatic to be sure I did not miss or mess up the picture. So much lighter.

We are headed to Normandy in a couple weeks and I think I am going to use the same strategy. We will be on the move, and the old camera bag gets heavier every year. ;)

This was the first trip I did not take my primary camera and lens......... We will be on the move, and the old camera bag gets heavier every year. ;)

Couldn't agree with you more - having a small camera while traveling is quite liberating, in more ways than one.
BTW, you and other members here should try and post more on the "Slow Moments" thread here - I think everyone likes to see photos from all over, especially if they're from travels, but even if they're just from whatever is "home". One person's home is another's "want to see" destination. Photos are so easy to connect to, and adding a couple of sentences is also so much easier than writing a trip report - the latter is something I find impossible to do.
Your fantastic photo of the Statue of Liberty is especially apt in these days of increasing amounts of refugees. Especially as the way you took it, it looks like we are gazing straight into her eyes. Nothing special perhaps for New Yorkers, but quite dramatic for us other creatures.

photo of the Statue of Liberty is especially apt in these days of increasing amounts of refugees
Nothing could be truer! Many think of Charlie Chaplin as the silent funny man, but in reality he had a whole lot to say, "We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost…" C. Chaplin

In my photos, I usually try to see a place through the eyes of the people for they tell me much more than beauty that God surrounds width. I do take scenery shots, but much prefer people.

HaveNotGirls1170.jpg

C-SXMGirl.jpg

Nothing could be truer! Many think of Charlie Chaplin as the silent funny man, but in reality he had a whole lot to say, "We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost…" C. Chaplin
Those are beautiful words, I haven't heard these Chaplin quotes before. No doubt that Chaplin knew a thing or two about humanity.

Not all are aware that the popular song "Smile" ("Smile, when you're heart is aching...."), was basically composed by Chaplin. But the actual story is a bit more involved, and quite interesting.
My favorite rendition of this song is by Rickie Lee Jones . Not many people know it....

Thanks Joe for sharing! I have never heard Rickie Lee's version of the song. Background stories I always find interesting.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina