• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel Insurance

Jan55612

100+ Posts
Last year in early March before we departed Barcelona for the US, we arranged for an apartment for January through March of 2021. We also purchased travel insurance. Due to COVID, we had to cancel and the trip, but the apartment owner refunded our deposit in full, so I never made a claim. We have now booked an apartment for this winter (December 2021-February 2022) in Barcelona. When I went to the Travel Insured website to look at information prior to purchasing coverage, I found a COVID policy that allowed changing the dates of a policy for a trip cancelled due to COVID. I called Travel Insured today and was able to convert the policy for this winter to one for next winter. The only additional charge was for the extra days because we'll be gone longer in the new trip. Happy surprise! I thought the money I had paid for insurance for this winter was just lost.

Thanks for posting this! We too had purchased travel insurance for a trip we couldn't take due to the pandemic. It had not occurred to me that we might be able to use it for another trip, so now I'll check.

Travel insurance is the most important thing you'll ever buy, but you'll never use it. You don't want to be out hundreds of dollars in bills if something goes wrong. It will be there if you are robbed, your flight is canceled, you become ill or injured, or you are forced to return home. It's comprehensive, and for a few dollars a day, it's one of the best vacation investments you can make.

Its always a good idea to take a look at which credit card you're using. Some of them, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, have quite good coverages when used for air, hotels, etc. However, I've generally taken out separate insurance for times when we're gone for awhile.

My husband got unexpectedly severely ill 5 years ago, about a month before an overseas vacation for us. We had treated ourselves to business class on the plane, and of course had to cancel. After filling out all the paperwork, including attestation from his doctor, we got a full refund from our insurance (TravelInsured, through InsureMyTrip).

Fast forward to today, in May we booked flights to Israel (family wedding) later this month. In early October, United cancelled our flights, with no suitable replacement flights. We received a full refund from the airline, but now I'm having trouble getting a refund from the insurance company (AIG Travel Guard, through United) for my flight insurance (~$300). Three emails and two phone calls later, still waiting for my recompense. I think it will happen; just a lot of hoops to jump through.

Ironically, we rebooked through Lufthansa - and it was cheaper!!

(Update - got an email today that our refund will be credited to our bank account!)
Terry, good to know. Do you think it's harder to get an airfare refund if you buy the insurance at the time you buy your flight? I'm wondering if it's better to get all insurance through travelGuard (or whichever company/InsureMyTrip). Do you get additional medical insurance through your health insurance or is that included in your travel insurance. I have a note to call TravelGuard and also my health coverage (BCBSMA....they have something called GeoBlue/additional coverage/medical evacuation etc). ugh. I don't know the answers.

Last year in early March before we departed Barcelona for the US, we arranged for an apartment for January through March of 2021. We also purchased travel insurance. Due to COVID, we had to cancel and the trip, but the apartment owner refunded our deposit in full, so I never made a claim. We have now booked an apartment for this winter (December 2021-February 2022) in Barcelona. When I went to the Travel Insured website to look at information prior to purchasing coverage, I found a COVID policy that allowed changing the dates of a policy for a trip cancelled due to COVID. I called Travel Insured today and was able to convert the policy for this winter to one for next winter. The only additional charge was for the extra days because we'll be gone longer in the new trip. Happy surprise! I thought the money I had paid for insurance for this winter was just lost.
Jan, so are you not going to Barcelona in December 2021? Which travel insurance company do you have the policy with? Thank you. Mindy

Terry, good to know. Do you think it's harder to get an airfare refund if you buy the insurance at the time you buy your flight? I'm wondering if it's better to get all insurance through travelGuard (or whichever company/InsureMyTrip).
I really don’t know. Our refund five years ago was easy, following the steps they provided. Not sure, but I think it’s always better to buy insurance close to your airline ticket purchase date. Maybe others have more experience with this.

Do you get additional medical insurance through your health insurance or is that included in your travel insurance. I have a note to call TravelGuard and also my health coverage (BCBSMA....they have something called GeoBlue/additional coverage/medical evacuation etc). ugh. I don't know the answers.
Embarrassed to say that I have never bought medical insurance for a trip. I believe, through our credit card, we have some kind of minimal coverage for health emergencies (it’s a Schwab Visa card.) I also believe that the travel insurance includes emergency health coverage (although you have to get an upgraded plan for evacuation.) I’ve never upgraded.

Embarrassed to say that I have never bought medical insurance for a trip. I believe, through our credit card, we have some kind of minimal coverage for health emergencies (it’s a Schwab Visa card.) I also believe that the travel insurance includes emergency health coverage (although you have to get an upgraded plan for evacuation.) I’ve never upgraded.
it's definitely a crap shoot.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina