• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Tree Identification

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
In our recent travels around Salamanca we saw 100s and 100a of trees like pictured below.
Can anyone enlighten me on the type of tree this is. I guessed cork, but that was truly a guess.

Picture provided by google maps - thanks

I’m a local (for four years now), and, yes, they are cork trees. If you see them up close, you will notice some in which the bark has been stripped. The stripped ones will have a year painted on them. That’s the way they know how long it’s been since the cork has been harvested.

If you have an opportunity to see the ‘harvest’, it’s fascinating how quickly each tree is harvested.

Thanks for the information, and yes I would love to see the harvest!
Maybe one day. Retirement cannot come fast enough.

If you see them up close, you will notice some in which the bark has been stripped. The stripped ones will have a year painted on them. That’s the way they know how long it’s been since the cork has been harvested.

*makes a mental note*

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina