• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tuscany Tuscany, Pienza - Cretaiole, apartments on a farm

Pauline

Forums Admin
Agriturismo Cretaiole, six apartments on a family run farm near Pienza in the Val d'Orcia. Owned by Isabella Moricciani who also offers the villa Casa Moricciani and two apartments in Le Casine di Castello, both in nearby Castelmuzio.
http://www.cretaiole.it/

These reviews were collected on the Slow Europe website and have been copied here. There are many very enthusiastic reviews!

Reviewed by: John D (1 review)
Reviewed on: July 4, 2016
Date of Stay: spring
Vacation Rental Name: Agriturismo Cretaiole
Cretaiole is the only way to experience Tuscany. It is such an authentic experience and the Moricciani family truly makes you feel like a part of their family. Staying at the farmhouse is an experience in itself- from making breakfast inside your Tuscan apartment with fresh vegetables picked from the garden, to evenings with Luciano, the heart and soul of this agriturismo, you will not forget your time at Cretaiole. The family makes you feel at home from the moment you arrive. The Dolce Vita package provides a bountiful supply of meats, cheeses, eggs, olive oil, and more- all made on the family farm. Carlotta and Isabella will help you plan amazing daily activities for your entire stay. We would not have had the same experience in Tuscany without their guidance. They offer tours of their farm, a pasta making class with a Tuscan feast afterwards (you cannot miss this!), and they will plan tours in the surrounding hill towns for you. At night, Luciano will invite you into the veranda to drink the homemade Grappa and dance to Frank Sinatra- an unforgettable experience. We could not have asked for a better trip. We will be back!

Reviewed by: GM (1 review)
Reviewed on: January 8, 2016
Date of Stay: fall
Vacation Rental Name: Cretaiole Farmhouse
My wife and I spent a wonderful November week at Cretaiole, thanks to the peerless hospitality of the famiglia Moricciani and Carlotta. A stay at Cretaiole is a window on 2,000 years of history in Tuscany’s Val D’Orcia, a sense of place like no other, and a lesson in the art of living imaginatively and well. From the farmhouse and its earthly gifts right on the kitchen table to the vineyards and olive groves, to the ancient pilgrimage route, to medieval Pienza and its food and fancy, to the mysteries of the Abbey of Sant’ Antimo, to all the surrounding hill towns, every step is rich in wonder and adventure—and wine.
This was our third stay, a special Thanksgiving week created by the Moricciani’s for previous guests, a chance to meet and swap stories. As always, Isabella offered boundless possibilities—from hikes to cooking classes to truffle hunts to guided and unguided tours and so much more—to be enjoyed with other guests or solo. Isabella also provides a Val D’Orcia (and farther afield) traveler’s bible, with maps, directions, pictures, and insights into every secret and not-so-secret area haunt. And she’s happy to arrange other adventures if you have them in mind. You can do anything and everything you want—or you can sit back, relish the views and do nothing at all.
As for practicalities, the prices are more than reasonable, there are accommodations to suit most every taste and comfort level, there’s laundry, fireplaces for the cold, kitchens or kitchenettes, a barbecue, a cell phone to borrow, a library for borrowing or exchange, spring water, all the advice you could ever want, and spectacular sunsets (perhaps not so practical, but utterly necessary). And when Luciano comes to your door with fresh ricotta, wine or grappa, by all means welcome him in and celebrate.
You too will sing grazie mille to Isabella, Carlo, Luciano, Lilana, and Carlotta for a visit you’ll never forget and will surely want to repeat.

Reviewed by: RoyT (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 25, 2015
Cretaiole is a gem of an agriturismo that offers its guests an excellent opportunity to experience the Tuscan way of life. Isabella is the perfect host who welcomes you with her insight of the local area as well as providing you with the opportunity to participate in various functions and tours to learn about Val d'Orcia. One week is far too short to experience all this region has to offer, but it provides a perfect incentive to return. Carlotta is the perfect assistant to help in arranging dinners, tours, and answering all your questions about life in Tuscany. Carlo and Luciano provide their guests with a great introduction to their farm as well as sharing their perspective on enjoying life in this beautiful area of Tuscany. Cretaiole offers outstanding accommodations, a superb location, and a genuine feeling of belonging to the Moricciani family.

Reviewed by: Richard (1 review)
Reviewed on: May 30, 2015
Vacation Rental Name: Cretaiole
Our week at Cretaiole was sandwiched between a few days in Rome and a brief stay at Varenna and Milan. We booked this trip ourselves for our 15th wedding anniversary and were really looking forward to our week in Tuscany. Cretaiole and its caring family, Luciano, Carlo, Isabella and Carlotta did not disappoint! We stayed in, La Caciaia, a cozy two bedroom apartment with a full kitchen and sitting area between the bedrooms. If you stay here, we highly recommend the Dolce Vita package. It not only includes some unique experiences during your stay, it also includes some incredible foods and snacks mostly produced directly on the Agriturismo. Our kitchen was stocked with fresh olive oils, breads, pastries, cured meats, fresh eggs, pasta and vegetables, fruit and a bottle of wine produced from their own vineyards. It was enough for us to prepare a number of dinners and breakfasts in our apartment. Each day provided opportunities for experiences that one would never have access to through a travel agent or booking your own activities. The guided tours and hikes across the Tuscany countryside were outstanding. But the dinners were unforgettable. We had a Tuscan chef prepare a traditional 4 course Tuscan dinner for us and two other couples right in our apartment one night. And the next night we were dinner guests in a 16th century home inside a local walled town where Vittorio and Lorenza treated us to another 4 course Tuscan dinner complete with wine to perfectly complement each course. Luciano's hospitality was very touching. Each morning he would be circulating among the apartments with fresh eggs, cheese and meats produced on the farm to ensure the guests had enough to eat. And each evening, there was the invitation to join him in the Veranda for a glass of his homemade Vincento, or Grappa. If you can, try and learn a little Italian before your trip. That's the only regret we had is that we hadn't learned enough Italian to be able to converse comfortably with Luciano and others as much as we would have liked, but the IPad and Google Translation app solved that problem for us. Luciano has so many incredible stories and is so warm, you don't want to miss the opportunity to visit with him. Our stay at Cretaiole was a unique experience whose memories will stay with us for a lifetime. Or more accurately, until our next visit as we will definitely be back for another stay here! Happy travels and Ciao!

Reviewed by: Wittrock (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 13, 2014
Date of Stay: fall 2014
Cretaiole is an education on the real Italy. The family and staff make you feel at home and offer the opportunity to understand the culture and lives of an
Italian family. The services and experiences far exceeded our expectations. We were fortunate to have been there during the grape harvest time and were able to join the family members and help clipping the grapes from the vines. The side excursions Isabella offers are opportunities to do other things such as side
tours to other towns, different wine tastings, water color painting classes and even hunting for Truffles. Or, you can simply rest and relax at the farm. The
Pasta Making evening was one of the most enjoyable events. On a scale of 1 to 100, this is definitely a 100+++ experience.

Reviewed by: MarshaI (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 10, 2014
Date of Stay: fall 2014
Vacation Rental Name: Two Magical Weeks !!
After reading the glowing reviews of this beautiful Agriturismo and the wonderful Moricciani family, my husband and I decided to stay two weeks at Cretaiole (Sept. 20 - Oct. 4, 2014). Our stay here far exceeded our expectations & there is no way to explain all the wonderful, magical features of this family & location. We stayed in Il Pollaio and it was perfect for us! After calling ahead, we were greeted by Carlotta upon arrival & showed to our room and all around the farmhouse areas. It was all lovely, clean, comfortable & homey. Fresh flowers, wine, olive oil, fruits, vegetables, breads, cheeses, cured meats, eggs, bacon, cereal, cookies, pastries, juices & more were in our room. It was all delicious & the outside garden to pick from was wonderful !! The large queen bed (which felt bigger) was so very comfortable, too! We were tired from a few whirlwind days in Rome & spent the first afternoon (& several more) relaxing with a glass of wine in the huge yard overlooking Pienza.
Isabella & Carlotta think of everything you could possibly need for your stay in the Val d'Orcia - a huge binder book filled with GPS coordinances & directions to towns, sites, restaurant recommendations, etc. Every Sunday morning there is a Welcome Orientation where Isabella & Carlotta go over the large activities booklet & they provide so many helpful tips on driving, parking & visiting the areas. These two amazing ladies are a wealth of information & are there to assist you in anything you could possibly need. We were provided a local cell phone to use while there in case we needed to reach Isabella or Carlotta. We often texted Carlotta for her to make dinner reservations, etc. Carlotta is a valuable gem !!
As much as we loved Pienza & the neighboring hillside towns, what made this trip amazing was the warm, friendly Moricciani family & wonderful Carlotta. We walked the vineyards with Luciano & Carlotta, toured their family farm, and had many warm, happy conversations with them about their family. Pici night was so much fun & the best food we had during our trip - Isabella's Ragu (delicious), Carlo's grilled sausages & ribs (best we've ever had)!!! We so enjoyed hanging out with Carlo while he grilled & seeing how he did things.
We were so fortunate that we were there & got to participate & help with their grape harvest ! It was hard work & you really appreciate all that Luciano & Carlo do to produce their projects. Afterward, the family fed us a huge, several course lunch that was absolutely delicious!
My husband & I were so glad that we stayed two weeks at Cretaiole - we were able to relax, enjoy the beautiful area & feel a part of this wonderful family & their employees.

Reviewed by: Violetne (1 review)
Reviewed on: July 21, 2014
Date of Stay: summer 2014
Cretaiole was fantastic for our family! The farmhouse has everything to make your stay comfortable and the staff, especially Isa and Carlotta, was very helpful and available. The activities offered are great and the variety of it interesting. The la dolce vita package is a great value and came with some of our favorites of the vacation: pasta making class, farm tour, winery visit and my very favorite: Pienza artisans' tour. Other activities offered were also well chosen and you really do not need to do any additional planning since what Cretaiole offers is more than enough for a week's stay. I wish we had stayed another week! Grazie mille!

Reviewed by: MerrittsMom (1 review)
Reviewed on: June 22, 2014
Date of Stay: spring 2014
Vacation Rental Name: Cretaiole/ Casa Moricciani
How can words adequately describe a perfect vacation and adequately thank those that made it so wonderful? Since we returned home, everyone has asked us about our trip to Italy. And our response is always “ it was the best vacation we have ever had.” We have been on some incredible trips over the years to gorgeous places, so everyone wants to know what made this one the best. The answer is that everything about it was wonderful and one of the best experiences of our lives. The scenery was so beautiful that sometimes you had to stop and remind yourself that it was real. The food and wine were amazing whether purchased at the coop or in a local restaurant. The authentic experiences that were arranged for us were something that one could never duplicate on their own. The places we stayed were incredible. We thoroughly enjoyed our week at Cretaiole. It was so charming, relaxing, and comfortable. We loved being part of the countryside and nature, and experiencing a bit of Tuscan farm life. Our week at Casa Moricciani was better than a stay at any 5 star resort. Every detail had been considered and we looked forward each morning to Carlo’s arrival with some new homemade treat. The view was so amazing that you couldn't stop looking at it and pictures just cannot do it justice. Being a part of the life of the charming little town of Castelmuzio was unforgettable. The history, the weather, the art..… But most importantly, it was the Tuscan people and the thousands of large and small acts of kindness which made it so incredibly special. We were overwhelmed by the generosity of every person we met there. We cannot thank the Moricciani family, as well as their extended family, enough for making us feel not just like honored guests, but like members of the family. After 3 weeks, we are usually ready to get back home, but this time we hated to leave. We are already planning a return visit and could easily repeat every single thing and not be disappointed. Grazie Mille to Isa, Carlo, Luciano, Liliana, Carlotta, Laura, and all of the lovely people of Val d’Orcia.

Reviewed by: Leigh Pate (1 review)
Reviewed on: May 19, 2014
Date of Stay: spring 2014
I have to admit, before I arrived at Cretaiole, I knew it was a wonderful and magical place. I had heard about it from a couple of friends that had stayed there a few times. One couple in fact loved their experience at Cretaiole so much, they moved to Pienza! When another friend and I went in April, we wondered why in the world did it take us so long to visit. The rooms at Cretaiole are very clean and beautifully decorated. You truly have the feeling of being at home while you are there. We stayed in the L'Oliviera apartment, which is a one bedroom/one bath. We chose this one for the beautiful and roomy kitchen where we were able to prepare meals with our other friends when we were not going to the wonderful dinners Isabella set up for everyone at some of the places in neighboring towns. We opted for the "Dolce Vita", which includes, several meats, cheese, eggs, milk, toasts, juice, cereal, honey, and of course their wine. We ate breakfast and had many picnics from all the food provided. The L'Oliviera is a beautiful apartment for two friends to stay. The bedroom is a great size...plenty of room for two people to share. I chose to sleep on the sofa in the living area, which makes a wonderful bed, one that is better than any bed I have slept in. If you are the one sleeping in the living room, it is set up, where you can have privacy. The best part is there is a fireplace in there and it is wonderful falling asleep to the crackling fire. There are plenty of apartments to chose from that are larger, but we knew this one would be perfect for us. In each apartment, Isabella has provided a tour book/guide for guests to use while they are there. This book is better than any book you can purchase. There is so much detail on all the things to see and do in the area. All the activities Isabella has set up for the guests are optional, but I suggest you participate in as many as you can, because they are all wonderful. We went to two different dinners in different towns and I am so thankful we did those dinners. I came away from one dinner having learned about the slow food movement in Italy from Roberto. The other was a fabulous wine and food pairing at La Porta with Daria. We also had a winery tour at Nostra Vita with a most gracious, generous and caring family.....a wonderful afternoon, where they shared their wine, cheese, meat, bread and his beautiful artwork. The Romitario, or Hermitage tour of the Etruscan tomb is very interesting and I might add, can only be toured if you are a guest. Plus, the views are breathtaking! The Olive oil tasting with Carlo is fun to participate in, and will open you eyes regarding Olive oil. The Pici making and dinner afterward is not to be missed, as it is a wonderful time to spend with your fellow guest and the Cretaiole "family". I cannot say enough about Isabella, Carlo, Luciano and Carlotta. You can search and search and never find a more dedicated, fun, caring group of people as those four. They dedicate their time to making your vacation the best it can possibly be. They have wonderful personalities and are just truly fun to be around. They truly care about all their guest. Each one of them is willing to provide any assistance you may need. You get a feeling of being part of their family while you are there. You also have a feeling that when you return, they will be glad to see you and happy to have you back. I know I will return soon, and I never plan to stay anywhere else in Tuscany. When you have had the best, you certainly do not want to settle for less. Go to Pienza and stay at Cretaiole. You too will wonder what took you so long to get there.

Reviewed by: MimiB (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 29, 2013
Date of Stay: fall 2013
Vacation Rental Name: La Casa Contadino and Il Pollaio
4 couples travelled to Italy for 2 weeks and Cretaiole was by far our favorite! We all had an amazing experience mainly due to our wonderful hosts...the Moricciani family and Carlotta. Our accommodations were lovely and the setting of the agritourismo was beautiful.
There was never a dull moment because all sorts of activities were planned for us if we chose to participate......tours of neighboring hill towns, spas, wine tasting, Pici-pasta making class, hikes, shopping etc. to name a few.
I highly recommend Cretailoe to anyone who wants to experience and enjoy life in Tuscany ......we will return.
Mimi and Dennis Borchers
Augusta, GA

Reviewed by: RickL (1 review)
Reviewed on: September 24, 2013
Date of Stay: summer
Cretaiole is the perfect place to use as a jumping off point for exploring the Val d’Orcia specifically or more generally venturing out for the first time of the main cities to see what Italy offers beyond Rome, Florence and Venice. The accommodation is fabulous and the location very advantageous, but the real beauty of Cretaiole is the warmth of the Morriciani family and those like Carlotta who help them help you begin to understand the area. There is plenty of activity centered around the agriturismo but never any pressure to jump in—you find yourself wanting to participate just to be able to spend more time with these welcoming and delightful people. Don’t miss Pici Night!!! And there are helpful suggestions for restaurants, hikes, driving routes—anything you might want to do or see, they’ll help you figure it out. In a land of memorable places and wonderful people, Cretaiole and its family stand out for their warmth of spirit.

Reviewed by: MelissaLJ (1 review)
Reviewed on: September 7, 2013
Date of Stay: summer 2013
My husband and I visited Cretaiole for the first time two years ago when we were traveling through Europe for 50 nights while celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. We saw many wonderful and memorable places but none of them felt like a home away from home, until we arrived in Cretaiole. We felt so welcomed and nurtured by the Moricciani Family that when we decided to travel with my mother through Europe for her 60th birthday, Cretaiole was the only destination we wanted to return to for a second time. Having been there twice, I have no doubt in my mind that we will return again and again.
Here are some of the reasons that Cretaiole is the only place we will ever stay when visiting Tuscany. The most impressive feature of staying at Cretaiole, is how sincere the Moricciani family is about making you a part of their family for the week. We truly feel a bond with them and it seems to us that they keep their hearts open to each guest who comes to visit them. They welcomed my mother on this trip like she was an old friend and she felt immediately comfortable, even though it was her first time traveling abroad.
Luciano has spent hours sitting with us, helping us to improve our Italian language skills and our understanding of the culture. His patience makes it possible for even a novice to learn new words and ways. We marvel at his ability to work on the farm all day and still have the energy to invite us each evening for a sip of grappa and the good company of the other guests in the common room. We miss the twinkle in his eye and the warmth of his smile from the moment we depart the property.
Carlo’s good sense of humor and relaxed attitude makes it a delight to interact with him. We have delighted in his culinary skills when he prepares the barbecue at the Pici dinner and enjoyed learning about olive oil from a true expert. We greatly appreciated his wine making skills and enjoyed many bottles during our visit.
Isa’s energy and enthusiasm are unmatched. She has industriously created an itinerary of exciting activities with some staples to look forward to and is always updating and adding new possibilities for your trip. Whether you want to nap in the hammock and gaze out at the view, go wine tasting, see quaint villages, simmer in the hot springs, or sample local gourmet cuisine; there is something for everybody at Cretaiole.
This year we were delighted to meet Carlotta, who helped the family with some of the tours and events. Yet another wonderful addition to the Cretaiole team, Carlotta was immediately warm and affectionate. She offered a culture class which was a unique opportunity to hear the honest opinion of a local about Italian traditions and society.
Aside from the personal touch that each member of the family adds to this encounter, there is the irreplaceable experience of living for a week in an impeccably restored authentic farm house perched on a hill surrounded by the rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside. While the beauty of the surrounding land remains a constant, nature always offers pleasant surprises. During this trip we discovered some sort of Italian lightning bug which glowed beautifully in the evenings, we spotted a fox in the small forest only 3 km down the path, and we got to witness the miracle of birth, as one of the farm house cats produced four adorable kittens. Yet in the midst of all that nature, the interior of the farm house is immaculately clean and delightfully decorated with antique furnishing, while somehow providing every modern convenience.
I could go on extolling the virtues of Cretaiole and the Moricciani family for pages but instead I will conclude by saying each beautiful photo fails to convey the true beauty of the place and each shining review falls short of capturing what a phenomenal experience is provided when you choose to visit Cretaiole.

Reviewed by: Mnbean (1 review)
Reviewed on: July 11, 2013
Vacation Rental Name: Cretaiole Agriturismo
We didn't only rent a room at Cretaiole, we rented the family. Isabella, Carlo, Carlotta and Lucina opened their hearts and home for the perfect Tuscan experience. Isabella's detailed planning gives you the option to explore every possible Tuscan experience. Carlo's farm provides wine, olive oil, prosciutto, and a free-for-the-picking huge vegetable garden. Carlotta's knowledgable guided trips are awesome. Then there's the elder statesman Luciano, always there to offer his hand-made grappa or a dance in the evening.
The rustic farmhouse at Cretaiole is cozy and very comfortable with a well-stocked kitchen. I enjoyed lounging at the edge of the hill where Cretaiole is perched and drinking in the scenery each night along with a glass of wine or two. The pasta making class provided a hands-on cooking experience along with a huge feast, all included in the price of your week's stay.
We went to Siena on a day trip to witness the Palio horse race - what a beautiful medieval experience. Montalcino and Montepulciano are just a short drive away and offer excellent wine, food and shopping. Best of all, at Isabella's insistence, was to just drove to the small surrounding hill towns and savored their culture and beauty.
What a photogenic area, I took over 1000 pictures in a week. The food is fabulous every where we went, as well as the wine, even the table wines.
For a true Tuscan, laid back, relaxing vacation; I highly recommend Certiaole. This place is wonderful and comes with a personal touch that I don't think you'll find at most other Agriturismo's!

Reviewed by: Kathy L. (1 review)
Reviewed on: April 17, 2013
Date of Stay: spring 2013
Vacation Rental Name: La Cantina at Cretaiole
My daughter (age 11) and I spent nearly a week at Cretaiole agritruismo (near pienza) in end March 2013. It was one of the best experiences of our lives (and I have travelled a ton). The place is special: charming, stunning, cozy, welcoming, and beautiful. The views are amazing, and taking walks in the surrounding area was exhilirating. Isabella, Carlo, Luciano, Carlotta and the whole family were so welcoming and kind, they made us feel right at home. Their advice on local outings was invaluable (as was Isabella's masterpiece binder) - We discovered many amazing places we would never have found on our own or even with a good guidebook (many were off the map!). We also loved visiting their working farm, (san gregorio) and Sandra's organic sheep farm. From the 11-year-old perspective, you cant beat a farm vacation with baby bunnies, baby kitties, easter with wonderful Luciano (her nonno tuscano), a chance to make pici pasta, playing soccer on the lawn with other visiting kids, and such nice people in such a wonderful place. What more could we ask for? Wish we had stayed longer! We *definitely* plan to return, hopefully many times! One logistical tip: we took train from Rome to Chiusi, then rented car (from Eurocar) for the Cretaiole week, them returned car to Chiusi for train to Florence. This worked very well and we avoided driving in Rome or Florence ... Just check to make sure that the rental car place is open (watch holidays and hours) when you need it... Will do it again, hopefully soon!

Reviewed by: travelbug (1 review)
Reviewed on: April 17, 2013
Vacation Rental Name: La Cretaoile
We are a family of 4 with 2 children, ages 10 and 7. We travel throughout Europe frequently and I often feel that I am a stay-at-home-mom turned travel agent. Most of my planning revolves around finding the perfect, family friendly place to stay. Too often, we have been disappointed either about the dwelling or the service. With Cretaiole, we hit the jackpot! We do not have a single complaint about the apartment or the service. On the other hand, our praises seem limitless.
From the start, Isabella, was the most amazing virtual host. She is organized, quick to respond and is acutely aware of the needs of her guests. Upon confirming our reservation, she emailed a plethora of information. After reading the information, all my questions had been answered and so much of my vacanza Toscana planning seemed less daunting. Honestly, Isabella had me at hello. After my first interaction with Isabella, I was certain that Cretaiole was going to be a memorable experience.
Cretaiole truly felt like a home-away-from-home! It is expertly decorated and not a single comfort has been forgotten. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by warmth, flowers and wine. There was more than enough room for a family of four. And, very important for us, the children were able to have a separate space. The apartment is outfitted with a full kitchen, stone fireplace, luxurious towels and linens, the family's wine and olive oil, a cell phone if you wish, and necessities stocked in the refrigerator and pantry. There is also a washing machine just outside of the apartments. Isabella has also prepared a travel binder that proved indispensable when traveling throughout the Val d'Orcia, finding restaurants and local actvities.
Additionally, the veranda is a beautiful communal space with a lending library, CDs, a guitar, seating for chatting or internet use and holds the activities hosted buy the Moricciani family.
One is able to make daytrips to Pisa, Siena, Florence and the like, but we chose to stay in and enjoy the charming hill-towns of the Val d'Orcia. Creatoile was the perfect base from which to make our short trips. We also enjoyed the activties offered by the family, such as the olive oil tasting, pici making, a tour of the family farm, etc... My sons, 10 and 7, will forever remember making and eating their own pici, running after the family''s dog, Luna, cuddling the kittens at the farm, bathing in the natural hot springs surrounded by stunning calcium deposits, and biking through the countryside.
I am not sure that the delicious food, or the breathtaking vistas, or quaint, old towns, can compare to the people we met during this trip. We fell in love with Isabella, Carlos, Carlotta, and of course, signore Luciano! We drove way feeling that we had left family behind that we just knew we'd have to visit again. We are sure to remember the beauty of the rollling hills, stone farmhouses and many peaceful walks, but our most treasured memories are of Carlotta's laugh, Isabella's sense of humor, conversations with Carlo in a unique mixture of Italian, Spanish and English (whatever we could cobble together!) and Luciano's late night knock for chatting over grappa and hen's eggs delivery.
We did not tour La Toscana, we experienced it! Mille Grazie familia Moricciani!
For anyone considering Pienza, try Cretaiole and you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed by: MaryLouise62 (1 review)
Reviewed on: August 12, 2013
Jack and I stayed at Cretaiole near Pienza in Tuscany which is a agriturismo {farmhouse}. We loved every detail of our stay there with Issabella and Carlo and Family who brought Italy to life for us. Every possible kind of activity is offered yet one can choose one's own way. I suggest taking the advice of the many opportunities Issabella and Carlotta have for an intimate view of the people and area that can not be found otherwise. Many guests we met come back and certainly once you have experienced this blend of past and present, visitor becomes family, you will want to also. Who writes a thank you note to a B&B/hotel....I do and hope they will take my offer to visit us here in the US.

Reviewed by: KimH (1 review)
Reviewed on: April 14, 2013
My family and I stayed at Cretaiole for just over a week this March. We found it through a general Google search about traveling in Italy with children (we have a 7-year-old). We had considered arranging a family-friendly group tour of Italy, but are so happy we opted for Cretaiole instead. It was a perfect place from which to explore Tuscany (Florence, Siena, Montepulciano, Pienza, etc.) and to relax in the beautiful countryside. The accommodations were beautiful and the Moricciani family -- Isabella, Carlo, and Luciano -- made our visit easy and comfortable. They helped us plan our day trips, provided fun (and free!) activities at the farmhouse, and fed us an amazing dinner after teaching us how to make pici. Carlotta, a new member of the staff, was especially helpful and welcoming. And our son loved it -- he could play outside with the cats or other children staying at Cretaiole. It was a perfect solution for us!

Reviewed by: Karri (1 review)
Reviewed on: December 29, 2012
Date of Stay: 2012
I agree with all the reviews below PLUS more! You can't describe the experience and the "belonging" you feel when you meet the Moricciani family at Cretaiole. My husband doesn't like to return to places we have already been, but we have been here twice and are already planning our return. You aren't on vacation, you are part of Tuscany when you are there. And Isabella and Carlo and Luciano treat you as one of their own. Don't miss it!
There is so much to see within just 20 or 30 miles or you never have to leave the farm and you will be perfectly satisfied. Don't miss pasta night or the opportunity to drink homemade wine and grappa and dance the night away on the veranda. Truly an unforgettable experience. If you have ever even considered a trip to Tuscany, you MUST go here. I am getting a little sad that we keep recommending Cretaiole because we want to be selfish and keep it to ourselves, but this is just too good of a secret to keep! Ciao!

Reviewed by: Nikolaev (1 reviews)
Reviewed on: December 4, 2012
Date of Stay: summer 2012
It was just perfect and I can not wait till the next summer to be there again. Farm is very nice! I have never met in the world such hospitable people!

Reviewed by: MitchellS (1 review)
Reviewed on: July 24, 2012
Exceptional. Charming. Relaxing. Comfortable. Homey. Wonderful. Personalized. Familial. Awesome. Unique.
How many disparate words can convey the range of characteristics and descriptions that one can give to Cretaiole? An experience like no other. Everything is provided, and what isn't you don't really need. Isabella and her family will cater to your needs with effortless efficiency. For the duration of your stay, you are truly amongst family and kindred spirits, wanting no more than for each day to be as good as the one you just had. You will hanker for more, and take comfort knowing that you will again return.
Go, enjoy, and experience part of Tuscany. One of the best places you can hope to visit. You will never forget it.

Reviewed by: KarlP (1 review)
Reviewed on: June 10, 2012
Reviewer is affiliated with this company.
My wife and I stayed with another couple, and were tempted to apply for Italian citizenship so that we could stay indefinitely.
The farm and its grounds and vistas was extraordinary. The family who owned and maintained the farm made us feel part of their family. Every want was taken care of and every question answered. We were guided through every aspect of our stay, which leads to our one complaint....We needed more time to soak it all in. Speaking for the four of us, we also gained an appreciation of what are the important values in life on this crazy planet.
I advise anyone who is tempted to do it ASAP.

Reviewed by: Alicesara (1 review)
Reviewed on: April 23, 2012
Vacation Rental Name: Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani
Our family (my husband, mother-in-law and father-in-law) had a WONDERFUL time at Cretaiole with Isabella, Carlo, Luciano and meeting other guests in the villa. Everything GREATLY exceeded our expectations and we truly hope to return to Cretaiole again in the future. Isabella was very accommodating with our unique travel schedule and welcomed us with vino, smiles and loads of useful information upon our arrival. We scrapped our initial plans and took her advice to enjoy the surrounding area and take in the local lifestyle... which was very easy to do with the absolutely charming, clean, spacious, impressive accommodations, plentiful drinks offered by Luciano, stunning vistas and personal care provided by the Moricciani family. We're gladly spreading the word to our friends and family about how wonderful our stay at Cretaiole was. My husband and I have done A LOT of traveling and we honestly say that our time spent at Cretaiole and the surrounding area was one of the most memorable and fun vacations we've ever had. If you want to enjoy a vacation that is relaxing, fun, filled with authentic Tuscan experiences and culture... Agriturismo Cretaiole is the answer! Whether you want a romantic experience or a family-friendly one... Isabella and her family know just how to strike the right balance for all their guests. Happy travels and Buon viaggio!

Reviewed by: Margo McKnight (1 review)
Reviewed on: March 31, 2012
Vacation Rental Name: Il Pollaio
Magical Spot! My husband and I had a wonderful 4 day visit in March 1012 with Isabella, Carlo and Luciano. The location is spectacular, the farm house is beautiful, the beds were the best we had in Italy and the welcome from the Moriccianis was exceptional! From Isabella's detailed day trips taking us on dirt roads to tiny villages, to Carlo's delicious wine and olive oil, to Luciano's grappa, it was a marvelous experience. Isabella was available to help us whenever we needed it and all three were welcoming and hospitable. I would recommend Cretaiole to anyone - I certainly want to go back!

Reviewed by: Hchaney (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 22, 2011
Date of Stay: fall 2011
This is the way to do Tuscany!!! You cannot go wrong by being part of the warm Moricciani family for a week. Isababella is charming, smart and extremely concerned about creating a superior experience for her guests. She has attended to every detail of your trip, from the directions complete with pictures to the organized activities that you can join if you wish. Do not miss the pici making/eating dinner! I feel very fortunate that we found Cretaiole and had the opportunity to learn so much about the customs and history of the area.

Reviewed by: Susan G. (1 review)
Reviewed on: July 19, 2011
Date of Stay: summer 2010
Vacation Rental Name: Cretaiole Agriturismo
There are many reviews of the wonderful times people have had at Cretaiole. So I won’t repeat much of what has been mentioned already. Traveling alone on my first trip to Italy for my 65th birthday, I was a bit apprehensive, but I needn’t have been.
Il Pollaio, my apartment and home for three weeks, provided all I needed for comfort and joy. Each morning I woke to sunshine streaming in to welcome me to a new day. The memories are many, but those that remain the strongest are:
I never locked my apartment door; it felt extremely safe and home-like at Cretaiole. Walking alone at night in Pienza felt very peaceful, too.
Isabella is a gem. She was very concerned when I became ill with bronchitis. She arranged visits to the doctor in Pienza and translated my medications & instructions (the doctor didn’t speak English). She also helped track down my luggage the airlines lost and was extremely helpful in many other ways.
Nighttime socializing with Luciano and other guests with his homemade grappa and vin santo in the veranda felt like spending time with friends. Love the twinkle in that man’s eyes!
The Hermitage tour and Isa’s telling of how Luciano and his son, Carlo, created Cretaiole is not to be missed.
Location! Fabulous view of Pienza, just a short drive away, and near many intriguing hill-top towns.
Tuscan food and wine are a food lover’s dream. Particularly the tomatoes and salad makings from the Cretaiole garden; Luciano’s gifts of fresh eggs and ricotta; Carlo’s cooking their homemade sausage and ribs over a log fire for the Pici dinner; and the Moriciani family wine and olive oil (my only regret was not leaving enough space in my luggage to bring some home). Three weeks wasn’t enough to sample all the fabulous food and wine the area has to offer.
I enjoyed my time at Cretaiole so much, I made a return two-week reservation in the same apartment for September 2012. This time my husband will be joining me on what feels like a return to my Italian home.

Reviewed by: sharon koppel (1 review)
Reviewed on: June 29, 2011
Our visit to Cretaiole in May 2011 was awesome and exceeded all our expectations! The apartment was immaculate and well furnished. We easily made breakfast, snacks and one dinner with food from both the farm and the COOP in town. The property of the farm itself was unbelievable in beauty. It was an oasis to return to each afternoon after exploring Tuscany. It was a true experience of Tuscany! But the real charm of this place was Isabella and her family = her father in law Luciano who bought Cretaiole years ago and her husband Carlo. Isabella shared Tuscany with you in the most personal way so you felt after a week that you had a small understanding of what this remarkable part of Italy was like. There were well organized travel notebooks in all apartments to guide your explorations. There were many activities, some free and some a small charge, available to guests every week. Freebies includes a nature walk; guided tour of Etruscian ruins; pici (pasta) making and an Italian dinner; tour of a working Tuscan farm with wine, cheese, and meat tasting; tour of Siena; and olive oil tasting class. Isabella encouraged all of us to explore Tuscany the week we were at Cretaiole which we did!. Almost all the guests spent at least one day just hanging out at Cretaiole with the lovely yard with relaxing chairs (plenty for everyone=there were about 16 people at the agritourismo for the week), absorbing the views of Tuscan rolling hills, walking the 3 km trail across the hillside into Pienza, a wonderful Tuscan town, walking the vineyards, olive grove, and vegetable garden; or hiking to the ruins of a small chapel. You can do as much as you want with the other guests or do your own thing. From the organized activity list, We also did a tour and dinner at a local monastery, a tour and tasting at a local vineyard. We explored everyday, taking in local markets, hill towns, lots of Italian food and lots of gelato, everyday gelato! The week was leisurely yet full of fun and exploration because we didn’t go far each day but took the time to walk and absorb. This was our first trip to Italy and we chose not to do the tourist hot spots in the cities but rather to experience Tuscany from a homebase at Cretaiole. It was the perfect decision!!! Isabella and her family are wonderful and give you an experience of a lifetime in a place you will never forget.

Reviewed by: DanaM (1 review)
Reviewed on: January 1, 2011
Cretaiole is nestled in the countryside just outside Pienza and provided a memorable and magical experience for our family. Everything about the property was perfect - the expansive grounds for relaxing, walking, playing and massage in the olive garden(!) and the proximity to many wonderful towns and destinations. While we stayed in our own apartment, we felt a sense of community with the Moricciani family and the other travelers. We enjoyed visiting over morning coffee in the courtyard and sharing several of the Cretaiole arranged events (pasta making, followed by dinner is a must!). Our one bedroom apartment was comfortable, appointed with everything we needed and provided breathtaking views of the country side from all windows. But the real highlight of Cretaiole is Isabella. Her warmth, hospitality, terrific English and depth of knowledge of the region helped create a truly wonderful vacation. We look forward to returning one day!

Reviewed by: Felicia (1 review)
Reviewed on: November 23, 2010
Date of Stay: fall 2010
Vacation Rental Name: La Casa del Contadino
We had high hopes Cretaiole would be a wonderful place to vacation while experiencing the true Tuscan culture with our two grown children and their spouses, and it not only lived up to our expectations, but exceeded them. It was the perfect place to have quiet family time together and at the same time, there were more opportunities for activities than we had time to take advantage of in one week. We stayed in the beautiful 3 bedroom apartment, which was roomy and tastefully decorated. We are grateful to Isabella for sharing her vast knowledge of the history of the area and traditions of her family. She made our stay easier by recommending wonderful places to eat, as well as making reservations for us. Although the local restaurants were fabulous, the highlights were the two dinners we had at Cretaiole with the other guests, and the delicious lunch following the grape harvest we were lucky enough to experience. Also, making our own lunch with fresh tomatoes, basil and arugula from the garden was a marvelous treat. Having Isabella teach us how to make pici and being treated to the delicious sausages Carlos grilled were another highlight of the trip. The very best was Luciano, who seemed genuinely pleased when we would join him for a late night glass of his homemade grappa! The Moricciani family's warm hospitality made the stay special and contributed to making our vacation a unique Tuscan experience our family will never forget.

Reviewed by: stephen swedish (1 review)
Reviewed on: November 18, 2010
Vacation Rental Name: agriturismo cretaiole
We do not usually write reviews of travel accommodations but in this case we want the world to know about agriturismo Cretaiole near Pienza in Tuscany. We have traveled around the world but have never had the experience that we had with the Morriciani family at Cretaiole. Isabella, Carlo, and Luciano have created magic here. The loving care and friendly personalities of each made our stay so very special. From the attention to detail and organizational genius of Isabella to the way Carlo prepares the meat for our feasts to the late-night and much-anticipated grappa and vin santo sessions, we just cannot say enough. Being at Cretaiole is like coming home! And, we have committed to visiting the Morriciani family twice a year EVERY year from now on. A special place in a the most beautiful part of the world!

Reviewed by: RonB (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 26, 2010
What a wonderful experience for my wife, her sister, and me! Grazie mille, Cretaiole for making our stay so memorable! Learned many new things about Italy, Tuscany, and Val d'Orcia! Be sure to check out the Cretaiole garden and the wine, cheese, eggs, sauce, meats, . . . from Luciano! Don't miss the hike down the back road from Cretaiole to visit the country church so often photographed and painted of "Tuscany" -- or, as Isa pointed out, of the unique landscape of Val d'Orcia! Our visit to the American Military Cemetary, just south of Florence, where many of my father's comrades-in-arms are buried, was a moving, special time for me. The side trips to Montepulciano and Montalcino, then north to Chianti Classico area, were a 'dream come true' to this lover of Sangiovese-based wines -- Brunello, Vino Nobile, Chianti Classico, Rosso, Super Tuscans! The visit to the Hermitage/Estruscan site, on property owned by the family, was an unexpected treat! And the visit to the organic farm to visit their operation and taste their successes was wonderful! But, in the final analysis, the hospitality, helpfulness, responsiveness, and willingness to go the extra mile from Isa, Carlo, and Luciana, and the rest of the family, made our stay one we will always cherish! Grazie mille!

Reviewed by: mmcroberts (1 review)
Reviewed on: October 16, 2010
I highly recommend Agriturismo Cretaiole. My girlfriends and I were there in September 2010, and I could not have been more pleased with the experience. I've already made my reservation for my next visit to Cretaiole! It's more than a vacation - it is comfortable immersion in to the Tuscan way of life: slow paced and always appreciative of the land, bounty and tradition of the region. The Moricciani family, headed by Luciano, cater to their guests' every need. If you want to live the Tuscan life and learn the language, the customs, the food, the vino - then Cretaiole is the right place.
Luciano's daughter in law, Isabella, is a gracious host and speaks fluent English so you are never lost. Though you will learn some Italian fairly quickly! She plans a variety of activities throughout the week that are unique and not easily accessed by non guests, so you feel truly special. A MUST do is the weekly Family Night, where Isa and all the guests make Pici pasta, her husband Carlo grills the meat, and Luciano pours the vino rosso. Another must do activity is the visit to the family farm just down the road and the nightly visits from Luciano when he shares his tasty vino, vin santo and grappa.
At Cretaiole, guests get to know each other as much as you wish. It's perfect for single travelers that might want to visit with others occasionally. Accommodations are super clean and comfortable, but not fancy. For us technology obsessed Americanos, there is wireless internet in the sun room. The grounds are simple, but breathtaking with views over the valley to Pienza and an impressive and large, "help yourself" garden. Years ago I stayed in a villa in Tuscany and the villa option just does not compare to a farmhouse stay. My advice: spend a week at Cretaiole and enjoy the Tuscan life. Try to bring it back with you to the states. Slow down and appreciate the simple things.

Reviewed by: Tori8x10 (1 review)
Reviewed on: September 4, 2010
Vacation Rental Name: Le Casine de Castello
Le Casine de Castello is the sister property for Cretaiole and is in the village of Castelmuzio, about 10 minutes from Cretaiole. It is a quaint hilltop village of about 200 residents. There is a grocery store and a little restaurant here and the town of Pienza is a short ( and beautiful )10 minute drive away.
We stayed in "El Nido" which is Italian for "The Nest". It is the bottom unit for this two unit apartment. There was plenty of space for two people and it is decorated with a charming and romantic mix of rustic antiques.
The bathroom was big and had the best shower of all the places we had stayed at on our 33 day tour of Europe. Just bring your own toothbrush and toothpaste as everything else is provided. ( I will say here that I noticed there is no such thing as a washcloth anywhere in Europe... bring your own if you need one)
The bedroom area was so nicely appointed with beautiful linens, plenty of pillows and extra cozy blankets if you needed them.
The kitchen had everything you could need to fix a nice meal. (There is no oven but honestly, why would you want one... you're on vacation!) Isabella has it stocked with coffee, tea and all the olive oil and spices you could need. You can eat inside at a lovely antique farmhouse table or dine outdoors in the lovely private garden.
Isabella Moricciani has put together a full list of activities for her guests that you can pick and choose from but DO NOT miss the "Pici Night" where you learn to make pasta and then everyone has a wonderful dinner together with the fruits of your labors. Make plans, if you can, to partake in dinner at the Monastery too!
The location is central to everything you might want to see and do in the Tuscan region and Isabella has prepared wonderful itineraries for day trips you might want to take.
Do yourselves a become a part of the Moricciani family for a week or more, you are guaranteed a wonderful stay!

Reviewed by: tsquared40 (1 review)
Reviewed on: August 13, 2010
Being in Tuscany, Cretaiole has the views, the location, and the total feel of the region. It is up to the visitor to then embrace the life and culture of Italy and the Tuscany region. This is really quite easy, once you get to know the Moricciani family, the proprietors of Cretaiole.
Never have I been to a place where the customer has been so thoroughly thought of and taken care of. If you are looking for a pool, spa, amusement park, shopping malls, golf, or other items one might normally look for in a vacation, Cretaiole is not for you. But, if you want to taste and feel what it is to be an Italian, to understand their way of life, embrace their culture, then their is no finer place than Cretaiole. It is as wonderful for adults of all ages as it is for kids with plenty of room for them to run and enjoy. The carefuly selected activities that Isabella Moricciani has so wonderfully brought to the visitor are a rare glimpse into the past, present and future of Italy, the Tuscany region, Pienza, the small town that has and is everything that is Italian, and Cretaiole. Many of these activities are only available through Cretaiole - all you need do is to mention Isabella or Cretaiole and a smile comes to the Italian face and you are made welcome and become a friend immediately.
To one and all, never fear for the Moricciani family is always near when you visit Cretaiole and the life and culture of Tuscany.

Reviewed by: Seattlegrandma (1 review)
Reviewed on: April 13, 2010
Date of Stay: spring 2010
Our one week stay at Cretaiole followed a busy week in Rome. As the Grandma, travelling with my 10-year old grandson and his parents, it was the perfect finale to an amazing trip to Italy. Highlights included the Romitorio (ancient Italy - awesome), Isabella's Pici-making class (and feast), an olive oil testing and an Easter Monday feast. Isabella, Carlo and Luciano were the quintessential hosts, always eager to answer questions, and always available. Between our hosts and the incredible views in Tuscany (not to mention the food and wine), I'd highly recommend this as an ideal stop on an Italian holiday.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina