• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Umbria Umbria, Todi - Il Gusto del Paese, large villas

Pauline

Forums Admin
Il Gusto del Paese - several large villas near Todi in southern Umbria and apartments in Todi.
http://www.ilgustodelpaese.com/

These reviews were collected on the Slow Europe website and have been copied here.

Reviewed by: BritW (1 review)
Reviewed on: September 13, 2010
Date of Stay: fall 2007
Vacation Rental Name: Il Gusto del Paese
Four couples enjoyed a marvelous vacation at Il Gusto del Paese. The physical facility speaks for itself: the house, grounds, view, and pool are all marvelous. Also, from this location there is easy access to the many cities and villages of central Italy. But what made our vacation such a memorable experience was Susan.
Susan is not only a gourmet cook, she has an extensive knowledge of the Umbria region. She arranged for dinner in a castle, a wine tasting lunch in a local restaurant, and a guided tour of Assisi. In Assisi we were treated to a tour a local home and lunch with the wife of the architect-owner.
On two occasions a local cook came to the villa and prepared dinner for us in the outside, wood-fired, pizza oven.
There can be no better way to experience Umbria than to spend time with Susan at Il Gusto del Paese.

Reviewed by: BBWebb (1 review)
Reviewed on: September 5, 2010
Date of Stay: fall 2007
Vacation Rental Name: Il Gusto Del Paese
I don't speak in terms of perfection often. As the owner of a Special Event Venue, hosting bridal events where meticulousness is paramount, brides requiring the same treatment as Princesses of small countries, I found this same 'over-the-top' service and attention to detail when visiting Susan Evan's Umbrian hideaway, Fondo Le Teglie. She and her team KNOW how to treat their guests. I took my staff on a week holiday and it was as memorable a week as all of us might ever remember. We were greeted with smiles and dinner, graciously introduced to the region and pampered in any way one might desire. The area offer many options for day trips which we enjoyed beyond measure.
Susan's facility is beautifully appointed, not missing any of the details important to a traveler. Her villa renovation barred no cost. I felt as though it were my own Italian county home. The spacious kitchen allows for cooking in-house, a fireplace to snuggle up to and read, large tables inside and out for dining under the stars, outdoor grills and ovens, a landscape found only in great art, a spacious pool, lavender and rosemary grown everywhere and on and on and on. A library and laundry onsite were both valuable assets but most of all, the warmth and hospitality of Susan and her staff. Coming from Georgia, she KNOWS about 'Southern comfort' and doesn't miss a beat!
Being in the business of hospitality, I expect a lot. The value we received, for the price paid, was beyond reasonable. I have referred many friends and colleagues who also rave. Il Gusto Del Paese is CLEARLY one of the best kept secrets in all of Europe. I'd buy a season pass if it were available!! BB Webb, Owner, Carl House

Reviewed by: BVCP (1 review)
Reviewed on: September 1, 2010
Date of Stay: summer 2010
Vacation Rental Name: Fondo Le Teglie
We spent two weeks at Fondo Le Teglie with our two teenaged children in the middle of July, and we couldn't have asked for a better family vacation. Susan was kind enough to provide us with detailed information about the house, maps of the area and brochures of activities nearby weeks before our rental and kept in touch to answer our questions. Once we were there, Susan was only a phone call away in case we needed suggestions or had additional questions.
The house is beautifully renovated and could have held twice as many people easily. All rooms are very spacious and one does not feel that this is a rental property. The beds were comfortable, the bathrooms modern and all windows and doors had screens. The kitchen is very well equipped and there are so many cookbooks that you cannot help but cook a wonderful italian dinner there, using good Umbrian olive oil. There were plenty of opportunities to buy wine in the area, but Susan also has local wines available in the house.
We used the pool daily after we came back from visiting Assisi, Orvieto, Spolleto, Monte Subasio and Todi. There is so much to see; we were able to combine cultural activities with hikes without having to drive much over an hour, which meant there was always enough time for the pool in the late afternoon!
As Susan has a housekeeper come in twice a week, the house is always neat and clean. The gardens are cared for in an unobtrusive manner and the pool is cleaned regularly.
All in all a wonderful stay; away from it all yet close enough to many interesting sights.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina