• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Flights United adds Newark-Naples Summer 2019

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
News release: United Airlines will fly Newark-Naples May 22-Oct. 4, 2019. They're also adding Newark-Prague and San Francisco-Amsterdam flights.

We avoid Newark and O’Hare as much as we can...both are the definition of delays. My nephew is a pilot for United and he avoids Newark when flying personally to the extent he will pay on a competing airline to connect at a different airport.
The last 10 years or so, we make the 2 hour 15 minute drive to Detroit to fly nonstop to most European cities.

We have flown out of Newark for the past two years....and have found it to be convenient and stress-free. Can't say the same for JFK..... :( Will fly out of Newark next May as well....

We drive from Chevy Chase MD in a one way rental which is better (in our opinion) than either connecting somewhere en route or paying the very high price for the United Dulles-Rome non-stop.

Have found Newark to be dirty, the staff to be rude, progress through check-in/TSA and boarding to be slower than at other airports, and the food in both lounges and public access eateries inedible. I'm glad that others have had better luck. My oldest son commutes to NYC several times a month and his employer (KPMG) always routed him through Newark for some reason. He finally decided to forego his frequent flyer miles and started taking the train as to avoid Newark.

Just curious....what airline have you flown from EWR? We have only flown on United for the past two years and have been very satisfied.

United -- ditto for my son on his trips. His are domestic. Mine have been international. Interesting that we would have such different impressions of the same experience ;-) Was once in a local airport in the Caucasus region of Russia where there was no controlled boarding -- everyone just made a run for the ramp and pushed your way onto the plane (where the aisle was partially blocked by a crate of chickens). I found even that airport preferable to Newark since the food and drink while we were waiting for the flight were both cheap and delicious.

Jim...we have only ever connected on United through Newark in the past...from Cleveland. It is probably our CLE-EWR and ERW-CLE flights that are the cause of the delays, but we have firmly decided never to fly through Newark again. The concourse we are assigned to when flying EWR to CLE is so depressing...I am sure it is because we are flying to a small market airport. The European flights leaving from Newark are generally on time, so if you originate in Newark, it works out fine. Now we just make the 2 1/4 drive to Detroit and fly non-stop to Rome, Paris, London, etc.
I just flew Dulles to Florence via Vienna on Austrian Air this past April with our daughter...what a lovely experience! I will fly that airline again any time!

Last edited:
Airports are a necessary evil for travel. However, like Jim I have never had anything but a good experience at Newark. I mostly fly out of terminals B and C. Terminal A leaves a lot to be desired but I would rather fly out of Terminal A than any terminal at JFK. Terminal 4 feels like a shoebox and terminal 1 is dirty and looks old. The worst part about JFK for me is the traffic getting there. 2-1/2 hours is just too much. It's amazing the different experiences different people have at various airports.

We live in Greenwich Village (Manhattan) and Newark is consistently a quicker cab ride in either direction. We've usually had a good experience at the airport (TSA Precheck/GOES). We prefer Newark to JFK.

I live a hop skip jump from Newark and have always found it fine. I hesitated to write this here as I suspect that bad mouthing EWR along with bad mouthing United keeps the fares down on their very convenient flights from EWR to Italy. ;-)

I hadn’t been to Italy in a few years and just bought an incredibly cheap nonstop flight EWR FCO.

Newark is my preferred airport as well but sometimes I just can't stomach the higher fares. My niece is having a destination wedding over New Years and the flight from Newark was more than double what my brother is paying flying out of Dulles. I'm going to make the drive to Dulles because $2,500 more for Newark (for two of us) is way more than I can abide.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina