• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Vacation Rentals in Uzes, Languedoc (Gard)

Pauline

Forums Admin
In the trip reports forum we have been talking about vacation rentals in Uzes, where I am staying right now. I am going to list a few places here that look interesting.

This is where we are staying now - La Tour des Reves. 1bed/1bath. I recommend it, but it is booked now until the end of October.

I googled the woman who manages this apartment and she also manages La Maison du Fort in a village north of here. 2bed/1bath, but second bedroom is a loft. It has availability this summer/fall. 550Euro/week

Previously we stayed in two larger places, when we traveled here twice last year with friends.

This house was fabulous but expensive (3bed/3bath). Large house, great location, wonderful kitchen. The roof terrace is off the master bedroom which is odd and the back garden was overgrown a bit and tables, etc. not set up. Still - a great place.

This house (Maison Laurier) was less expensive, but is 3bed/3bath. Not as fabulous as the place above and smaller. The master bedroom/bathroom are at street level, so you can't really open the windows and the street level rooms were very fragrant because of stored cleaning supplies and the washing machine (and I can't stand fragrances), so we did not use that level. Instead we, and our friend, used the two smaller bedrooms on the next level up. The fragrances wouldn't bother most people. The living room was very comfortable and the kitchen on the 4th floor with two roof terraces was really nice. Good location. But they have raised their prices. It was only 900Euro when we stayed there; now it is 1200.

The people who own Maison Laurier also have a 1bed/1bath apartment in Uzes, near the tourist center. We had a chance to look at it and it is very nice. Not a great view from the windows, but a nice large roof terrace. They also have a very small place attached to Maison Laurier.

I have a few other places suitable for 2 people on my short list and will post them later.

If anyone else knows of good rentals in this area, please post.

Today we visited St Laurent la Vernede where La Maison du Fort is. It is a 15 min drive to Uzes, and Uzes has many parking lots. The village is pretty but small. One restaurant not open all the time, with a short menu. A bakery. And that is it. I liked the area and the village. There are walking trails from the village and from the many nearby villages. Uzes would be my first choice, but any village within 15 mins would be good too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pauline,
Your desc. of Uzes being shut down in October made me rethink going there for our mini vacation from Oxford. But then I reread your review about the apartment you rented in Nimes in March 2013. It looks sweet and simple. I think Nimes has a large university pop which gives it a certain ambienc but also means it's lively year round, non? The apartment seems available for when I'm thinking of going. The only thing I'm concerned about is it requires a 7 day stay. I'm not sure I want to be away that long. Perhaps I can negotiate with the owner.
A question. You mention taking the train from The UK. Do you mean the Euro? I was thinking we would fly into Marseilles and rent a car. I haven't actually looked at a map so there maybe another destination we could fly into.

We stayed at a nice little house in Vers Pont du Gard, just a few km from Uzes, a few years ago. Here is the website, and here is a review I posted on Slow Trav. I love that area too.

We stayed at a nice little house in Vers Pont du Gard, just a few km from Uzes, a few years ago. Here is the website, and here is a review I posted on Slow Trav. I love that area too.
Roz,
It looks wonderful but if Uzes shuts down in October, I imagine a small village does the same. Perhaps not the baker but restaurants and cafes. Don't want to drive everywhere.

You're right, Lisa, I don't think a village that small would be the best choice off season. Also, the bakery and cafe were good, but there really weren't dining options there. It worked for us because we always go out on day trips and have a big lunch, then just a light supper at home.

We haven't stayed in Nimes, but have visited there a few times and think it would be a good base.

I talked with the woman who manages this apartment, Dominique, and she said Uzes is empty from mid-October to mid-April. On the Place aux Herbes only one restaurant stays open because his spot gets sun on the outside tables. Some shops close in February and close an extra day during the week, but they are still open.

Locals who live in the nearby villages (like she and her husband) like it in the winter because parking is easy and Uzes is not crowded. She said it is a zoo here in July and August and she never comes into town (except for work). The Saturday market is too crowded, there is no parking, etc.

We have been here in May twice and late September/early October once. All these times Uzes seems pretty busy - lots of people, but you can always get a table at a cafe. The Saturday market is very crowded but if you go before 11am it is okay. We have seen other people on the hiking trails and in the nearby villages - other travelers are out and about.

I think I would avoid Uzes in July and August. This is similar to Santa Fe, NM where we lived for 20 years. The tourists started arriving at Easter, and by July and August it was too hot, never any parking in the town center, and there were lines for restaurants. By October the locals got the town back. I was always grateful for the tourists because we had wonderful shops, cafes and restaurants for them (and us).

Dominique said they get snow in the winter, but not much.

We were in Vers today and it is a lovely village.

The only thing I'm concerned about is it requires a 7 day stay. I'm not sure I want to be away that long. Perhaps I can negotiate with the owner.
Vacation rentals in Europe are usually by the week, starting Friday or Saturday. In the large cities you can find them by the night (usually a 3 night min), and off season some offer by the night (also called "short breaks"). It is always worth asking if it is possible to rent for less. The apartment was very comfortable - my only complaint was the size of the bed but he was going to replace the small double with a larger European King (similar to US Queen). The terrace was fabulous, as was the location. I would stay there again.

A question. You mention taking the train from The UK. Do you mean the Euro? I was thinking we would fly into Marseilles and rent a car. I haven't actually looked at a map so there maybe another destination we could fly into.
You can book the whole train ride on the Eurostar site. London to either Lille or Paris on the Eurostar, then the French TGV to Nimes. It is better to change in Lille (in northern France, near the border) because if you change in Paris you have to take the metro from one train station to another (Eurostar arrives in Gard du Nord, TGV leaves from another station). It is not usually cheaper than flying though.

We fly Heathrow to Marseilles on British Airways. Easyjet also goes to Marseilles from Gatwick, I think. From Oxford you could take the train to Reading and change to the RailAir bus to Heathrow (we just did this) or change to a train to Gatwick (a friend of ours did this and it worked well).

You could stay in Nimes and not have a car (although that apartment comes with a parking spot in a nearby multi-storey car park). Trains from Nimes go to Avignon, Arles, Montpellier, Aix. I think you can take a train from Marseilles airport to Nimes.

Thanks Pauline,
You're always a fount of info. Fourteen years ago I did a solo trip to France and stayed in Montpellier for a few days. I took the train to Nimes for a day. I remember the big plaza and also lots of fish restaurants. I'd forgotten that was where I went on my day trip until I started reading a little about Nimes. And then, oh yeah, I was there very briefly. I remember liking Montpellier a lot at the time, but think I would prefer Nimes this time round.
I read about a lovely b&b so we may do that or a hotel for a few days. It's hard to know right now as I can hardly believe I'll be in Oxford for 3 months, let alone plan a trip while I'm there. Plus we're going to Loire before....
I think we would fly and rent a car.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina