• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Vancouver, Canada

Georgia & Zig

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Has anyone any suggestions for places to stay and places to see in Vancouver,Canada? Also, which months are best for visiting that part of Canada?

Hey there from Vancouver Island.
We don't go to Vancouver now as often as we used to, but we have stayed at various hotels and accommodations in Vancouver over the years. It really depends on what your budget is and what you'd like to do, but you can't go far wrong with most of the brand name hotels within walking distance of the harbour, which is one of the jewels of the city.
My overall preference would be the Auberge, which is a small, boutique type hotel and is an easy walk to the harbour. The Pan Pacific is right on the harbour, as is the Westin Bayshore. Various newer hotels with harbour views have popped up over the years, but we haven't stayed in any of them.

The walk around the harbour front from downtown to Stanley Park is fantastic and you could spend a day in Stanley Park alone. The walk continues further west into English Bay and really shouldn't be missed.

Granville Island and the market is well worth seeing and shouldn't be missed.

You could also go to North Vancouver and see the Capilano Suspension Bridge. (Rope bridge).
There's enough for a few days there. How long are you going for?

Hi Johnny!
We will probably be there for 4 or 5 days at the end or before we take an Alaskan Cruise in July or August that leaves from Vancouver.
Perhaps Vancouver Island would be a nice place to stay instead of downtown Vancouver. We would probably need to rent a car. Would that be easier or more difficult then to get to Vancouver Island? There seem to be many places to spend the nights there on the Island. Do you have any recommendations? Also I want to check on Airbnbs there. We are fine with small 2 star motels or hotels also.

Last edited:
Don't miss the UBC Museum of Anthropology!
It's website says it is closed til June, bit hopefully it will be reopened in time for
your visit. A wonderful museum.

Hi Johnny!
We will probably be there for 4 or 5 days at the end or before we take an Alaskan Cruise in July or August that leaves from Vancouver.
Perhaps Vancouver Island would be a nice place to stay instead of downtown Vancouver. We would probably need to rent a car. Would that be easier or more difficult then to get to Vancouver Island? There seem to be many places to spend the nights there on the Island. Do you have any recommendations? Also I want to check on Airbnbs there. We are fine with small 2 star motels or hotels also.
Hey there,
Good to hear from you.
If you'll be on an Alaskan cruise, you will no doubt need to spend at least one night prior to your cruise, to make sure that you are there in time for embarkation, but if you are going to visit the Island after your cruise, you might well be able to travel after the cruise.
I would recommend catching a bus to the ferry at Tsawassen Terminal from the Vancouver Downtown Bus Station (more research needed) and buying a ticket as a foot passenger. OR You can buy a bus ticket that includes the ferry fare and the bus will take you from Downtown Vancouver to Downtown Victoria, or any designated stops on the way. It's cheaper to hire a car in Victoria and travel the Island than it is to hire in Vancouver and pay for the car as well. Some rental locations are cheaper than others.
Victoria is a very pretty city and every time I go there (35km from where I live), I always ay I should do it more often.
It's a bit cheaper downtown Victoria than Vancouver, though not by much, but the further you get from the Capital, the more reasonable it becomes.
The geographical area of Vancouver Island is as big as England (not the UK), but half of it is forest.
Sadly we have seedy areas too, but if you're passing through, just keep on trucking.

Anyone visiting Vancouver must go to the following places.
  1. Stanley Park
  2. Granville Island
  3. Museum of Anthropology

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina