• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venezia 2018

By mid afternoon, the sun had come out. Took another walk toward Piazza San Marco. Amazingly enough, Venice is less crowded this afternoon - no line into the basilica. The floor was wet in places but looked okay. "No photo" was being enforced by several men.

I continued my walk and stopped to see the Scala del Bovolo. We rented a third floor apartment right across from it in 2007 for six weeks.

fullsizeoutput_1b0.jpeg

The belltower of Chiesa di San Stefano is still leaning

fullsizeoutput_1b2.jpeg

Then to the Zattere to see the sunset

IMG_4247.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1b8.jpeg

I love the way Bellini's painted frame is almost indistinguishable from the architectural framing here - probably my second favourite Bellini (and thus, for me, my second favourite painting in total) in Venice. The one in the Frari's Sacristy is, unsurprisingly, my favourite!

Revisiting the Scuola di San Rocco is still so overwhelming. It's hard to know where to look first.

fullsizeoutput_1ff.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_22b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_205.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_226.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_227.jpeg

IMG_4370.JPG

* * * * * * * * * * * *​

The treasury just opened after being closed for a century. It is up another two flights of stairs.

fullsizeoutput_21f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21b.jpeg

IMG_4351.JPG

fullsizeoutput_223.jpeg

Last edited:
We have walked by the Scuola Grande dei Carmini (off Campo Margherita) numerous times in the past but have never visited until Friday. There was only another couple visiting while we were there.

It is known for its Tiepolo ceiling
fullsizeoutput_24c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_253.jpeg

A number of monochrome paintings
fullsizeoutput_234.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_233.jpeg

A small treasury room
fullsizeoutput_23e.jpeg

Plus a lot more.....
fullsizeoutput_240.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_245.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_243.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_242.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_24e.jpeg

Sunday, we decided to just take a walk. Crowd wasn't too bad until we got close to Piazza San Marco where there were waves of tour groups. The line to get into the Doges Palace was very long. But we continued on, all the way to the Sant'Elena.

This, too, is Venice -

fullsizeoutput_257.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_256.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_259.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_258.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_25c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_25d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_25e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_260.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe