• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice Suggestions for May 12/13, 2019

Panther

10+ Posts
Hi All,

We're going to be over-nighting in Venice May 12/13th, 2019 on the Cruise Ship and would Love to hear some
suggestions for places to have a nice dinner and also any extra info for things / places to see besides
the Major Tourist sites.

Thanks and Take Care,

Craig

Get away from St. Marks Square, and just wander. Also, fun to get on a Vaporetto, and cruise the Grand Canal. East way to see a lot of territory on the Canal itself.

2 days is not a lot of time but it is what you have. Can you say a bit more about your interests? Art (classical, modern, ...), architecture, history, etc. It will help to provide suggestions for a short stay. If you think you may be taking the vaporetto often consider buying a 2 day pass on Venezia Unica ahead of time - the site also has a lot of good information on things to see. For a restaurant suggestion, what are you looking for? Fine dining, very causal, price range, types of food? Any more information on your interests will help you get better advice.

Hi Gail,

Thanks very much for your reply, and link to the Vaporetta Site.

I'm really into photography, and seeing somewhat Hidden Gems of the area. We of course having never been want to see the sites that make it such a great Destination, so those will be covered in a tour to make sure we see them. I know most here are weary of Tourists in the City they Love but I'm sure they were Tourists at one time or another. We're hoping to have dinner and lunch at some of the Restaurants that give a taste of the local cuisine, or just very good Italian Food, after being on the Ship for 23 Nights before arriving ;-)
Maybe something for lunch in a nice sit down restaurant, and something in the Evening that you'd
go to for a special occasion but don't have to dress up with Coat and Tie.

Thanks again, Take Care,

Craig

Check out Casa Tre Oci closer to your travel dates. It often has very interesting photography exhibitions (always with descriptions in both English and Italian). Tre Oci is on the Giudecca so you will need to take the vaporetto to get there - Zitelle stop. For some reason the English version of their site isn't returning good results for me right now but here is their current exhibition (in Italian) FULVIO ROITER. 1948-2007 PHOTOGRAPHS.

If you would like an excellent tour guide I cannot recommend enough Luisella Romeo - a native Venetian. Book early if you want to be sure to enjoy a tour with her - she is highly rated and in demand. She is also a photographer herself and has a special photo tour if you are interested.

Since you are likely to want to see the Doge's Palace consider booking a Secret Itineraries tour ahead of time.

Check out Casa Tre Oci closer to your travel dates. It often has very interesting photography exhibitions (always with descriptions in both English and Italian). Tre Oci is on the Giudecca so you will need to take the vaporetto to get there - Zitelle stop. For some reason the English version of their site isn't returning good results for me right now but here is their current exhibition (in Italian) FULVIO ROITER. 1948-2007 PHOTOGRAPHS.

If you would like an excellent tour guide I cannot recommend enough Luisella Romeo - a native Venetian. Book early if you want to be sure to enjoy a tour with her - she is highly rated and in demand. She is also a photographer herself and has a special photo tour if you are interested.

Since you are likely to want to see the Doge's Palace consider booking a Secret Itineraries tour ahead of time.

Hi Gail,

Thanks so very much, those recommendations are perfect and just what we were looking for especially Luisella. She sounds exactly what we were hoping for to show us Venice, and sounds like one we'll never forget. Also, The Photography Exhibit looks like it will be a very special things to see. I've been shooting for over 55 years, still have the passion and a rabid amateur !!!

The Special Tour of the Doge's Palace looks very interesting. We will have a lot to see and take in and yet still
have time to Slow Down and Enjoy !!!

Thanks again, Take Care,

Craig

Hi Panther,

I also love photography. Venice is a great place to take photos! If you are able to, I would recommend trying to get to (Piazza San Marco (St Mark's Square) early early in the morning. It is amazing before all the people arrive. Also, if you can manage to get on a vaporetto at one of the first stops when it is not full of people, try to get a seat up front where you an take photos without other people blocking the view. The light can be wonderful later in the day.

My favorite place to eat is Trattoria La Zucca. It's not a typical Venetian restaurant but the food there... SO good!! Here's a review.

susan

There is a lovely outdoor place to eat at the base of the Accademia Bridge on the Dorsoduro side, right on the Grand Canal. We usually order pizza there, but they do have other items on the menu. A beautiful spot for a leisurely lunch, watching all the commerce of Venice.

Hi Panther,

I also love photography. Venice is a great place to take photos! If you are able to, I would recommend trying to get to (Piazza San Marco (St Mark's Square) early early in the morning. It is amazing before all the people arrive. Also, if you can manage to get on a vaporetto at one of the first stops when it is not full of people, try to get a seat up front where you an take photos without other people blocking the view. The light can be wonderful later in the day.

My favorite place to eat is Trattoria La Zucca. It's not a typical Venetian restaurant but the food there... SO good!! Here's a review.

susan
Hi Susan,

Thanks so much for the reply and great info. I thought I had responded, and then decided I must have got
sidetracked by the Link to the Wonderful looking food ;-) I do love shooting, and it's always seems to lead to some of the most interesting and beautiful places. Thanks for the Info, We do appreciate it !!!

Take Care,

Craig

There is a lovely outdoor place to eat at the base of the Accademia Bridge on the Dorsoduro side, right on the Grand Canal. We usually order pizza there, but they do have other items on the menu. A beautiful spot for a leisurely lunch, watching all the commerce of Venice.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks so much, Sounds like a great place to have lunch. We'll be there for that day and a half so I'm hoping we have many opportunities to take advantage of all the special places.

My Wife's ears certainly perked up with the Mention of Pizza !!!

Take care,

Craig

Craig, one more suggestion if you have time. One of our favorite things to do is visit Caffe Florian in San Marco, (St, Marks Square) during the evening hours. www.caffeflorian.com/en You can enjoy people watching outside, while enjoying the lovely orchestra. It's very famous, and makes for a perfect, restful respite from the crowds in Venice. We always order a Spritz. Drinks are always served with nibbles. A little tip....they stick the bill under the tray, when the drinks or food is brought to you. That way, you won't have to flag a server down for the bill.

I visited Tre Oci last month. Good show and being on Giudecca is very nice.
I also love the Stanze del Vetro on San Giorgio. It's a free museum of glass works.

Hi Jan, That's good to know about the Photo Exhibit, and Thanks for the recommendation on the Glass Works Museum !!!

Craig, one more suggestion if you have time. One of our favorite things to do is visit Caffe Florian in San Marco, (St, Marks Square) during the evening hours. www.caffeflorian.com/en You can enjoy people watching outside, while enjoying the lovely orchestra. It's very famous, and makes for a perfect, restful respite from the crowds in Venice. We always order a Spritz. Drinks are always served with nibbles. A little tip....they stick the bill under the tray, when the drinks or food is brought to you. That way, you won't have to flag a server down for the bill.

Hi Sharon, That sounds so nice, a great way to end the evening. We've planned to spend the afternoon and evening in Town since we're there over night. Just curious, would this and other places be open on Sunday ??? That's the only downside to our stop is being there Sunday night and then a full day Monday.

Thanks for the Tip, that's nice to know !!!

Take Care,

Craig

Hi Sharon, That sounds so nice, a great way to end the evening. We've planned to spend the afternoon and evening in Town since we're there over night. Just curious, would this and other places be open on Sunday ??? That's the only downside to our stop is being there Sunday night and then a full day Monday.

Thanks for the Tip, that's nice to know !!!

Take Care,

Craig
I believe it's open every day and evening.

I havent read all the comments, so forgive me if mine are irrelevant!
If you're into photography, you're in for a treat!! As mentioned before, I cannot understate the importance of getting up early just to see Piazza San Marco VERY VERY early in the morning (like 6-7 AM), where you'll find 50 people, versus 3,000 in the afternoon!

Since you're going in May, you will have the late-spring light and it's absolutely incredible. Venice itself it (arguably) the most beautiful city in the world, but having it to yourself (well, almost!) in the morning is a great experience. The morning light in Venice is very special and makes everything look sort of surreal. You will love it. How do I know? I flew back from Venice last night! It was my forth visit and I already know I will go back. The number of tourist may be overwhelming at times, but you will always find a pocket where it's quieter. Just grab a gelato and sit somewhere. Enjoy the city.

The first timer in Venice should experience the #1 Vaporetto, going down the Grand Canal, from the train station to Piazza San Marco. Oh and I would strongly suggest doing this once during the day and then again in the evening, after sunset. Since your time there is limited, do it during the day, but make sure you take the "milk run" Vaporetto (it's a 45 minute ride, but it's SO worth it!). For a first timer (especially if you're there for only one or two day), I would suggest avoiding museums, unless you have something specific in mind (San Marco Basilica is the exception!). Don't forget, Venice itself IS a museum; walking around randomly is hugely satisfing! Getting lost, even better!

As for dinner, a couple nights ago, we went back to a favorite that we discovered five years ago and were still blown away this time again: Vineria All'Amarone, in the San Marco area (surprisingly!). And if you like the wine, they'll sell you a bottle. Otherwise, follow the usual advice: go outside the San Marco area (try San Polo), but do comeback to Piazza San Marco in the evening, when the orchestras are going at it!! Do not sit at one of the patios, though. Last week, sitting there for an Aperol Spritz would have cost 18 Euros! Those can be ordered for less than 5 Euros almost everywhere in Italy!

Enjoy! Venice is unique. NOTHING compares to it.

Hi Christian,

Thanks so very much for the detailed info, I can tell you're smitten with Venice, with good reason.

I really appreciate the recommendations, and have them written down as well as all the other wonderful
suggestions we've received.

I'm very excited to see and take in Venice, I can tell by your and all the helpful Posters, how Special it Is.

Thanks so Much, Take Care,

Craig

I've not seen any posts from her on Sloweurope, but Nan McElroy (did post on slowtrav) expat US, lives in Venice and has a lot of things going on that she does. Her Blog/website is Living Venice . There is lots of practical info on visiting Venice.
I took my wife to one of her wine tastings for her birthday. Had a great time. We ended up spending several days with her visiting wineries in the Veneto.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina