• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Virgin vs. British Airways

LindaG

10+ Posts
It has been many years since I've flown to England as I usually go to Italy. But I am finally planning a trip to Oxford in this spring (late May). I am looking at airfares which are amazingly low for coach. Does anyone have any experience on whether Virgin or British Airways is better for any reason? I've flown both but so long ago I don't remember any pros or cons. Apparently, advance seat choice costs on BA but you don't have a choice on Virgin. Checked bags cost the same. Any thoughts, experiences (good or bad)?

Thanks, Linda

We've been flying British Airways for years and are happy with their service. I like choosing seats ahead of time and if you book via the website, instead of the app on your iPad, you can choose seats before purchase. But I don't like how much it costs to book seats! Sometimes £20+ per seat.

We collect miles with BA and I use them for flights within Europe. When trying to use them for non-European flights it seems like you pay so much in taxes that you don't save much. I wonder if that will change with Brexit - will we be paying more taxes for flying to Europe?

My main complaint is that for flights to Europe from the UK, the seats configuration is 3 - 3 and flights are frequently full. The only way to get just 2 seats in a row is to book Business (there are only two classes of service on UK to Europe flights), which gets you a row of 3 but with a table over the middle seat, and at the front of the plane.

When flying long-haul you have 4 classes of service. On recent flights to Israel, which is 4.5 hours for us, similar to flying to New York, we go for Premium Economy. From the US to the UK we always tried for Business Class (upgrading with miles) because of the overnight flight.

I have heard good things about Virgin but have never flown them.

A big part of what BA charges on long-haul awards isn't taxes: it's a "carrier surcharge," an amount that BA chooses to charge even on awards, formerly called a "fuel surcharge" but it wasn't reduced with declines in the price of fuel. American is a partner and you can search their site for London Heathrow-New York JFK, operated by both airlines non-stop. For a random date, on a one-way on AA, the money price on a Main Cabin Award is $178, all taxes; if the flight is operated on BA, the charge is $326.

We fly Virgin Atlantic and are always pleased with it. The seat classes have changed - economy delight offers a cooked meal and extra legroom. Premium offers a better leather seat, China crockery instead of plastic food tray etc. You pick your seats when you book online and process of booking on website is very straightforward.

For a non-status solo flyer, I wouldn't put a first-timer off the Virgin option. For a status holding couple, BA holds the edge. UC or Club World have very different fan clubs! PE and WT+ the same. Don't forget BA also have an option out of SJC.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina