• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Accommodations What area to stay in London.

CindyP

10+ Posts
Good day everyone.

We are down to the nitty gritty of finding London accommodations. Heavens to Betsy.

We want easy access to the tube obviously and from what I'm reading that just means being close to the circle line. Since that wraps around London it doesn't narrow things down much.

I was thinking that it might be good to be in walking distance of Paddington station since we will need to get to Heathrow early on our departure day. Or should I not take this into consideration? I'm reading mixed opinions on the area. Also looking at South Kensington and Chelsea.

We are leaning towards an apartment so we have kitchen facilities. There are a lot out there for sure.

I initially thought that I could list the sights we want to see in London and try to stay close, but honestly things are scattered so much it's not helping and I don't know if Center city is a realistic option price wise.

Any help narrowing down our search would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty good walkers and should be able to navigate the tube with a little practice.

Thanks one again

Cindy

I'd throw a little caution in on the circle line, as it's historically one of the lines most prone to delays. Its convenience is sometimes outweighed by the time it takes to get anywhere and sometimes annoying waits.

We got lucky a year or two ago, with a good price on a very smart apartment at 9 Hertford St. It was only a single night and was still £200 a night, but way better than other places looked that were £160 a night.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...751be998c5a0b749!8m2!3d51.5057099!4d-0.147773

Currently showing as low as £165 a night through an aggregator called Agroda (it's on the google maps page if you scroll through dates). Whilst that is still a lot per night, at £165 a night I'd snap it up without a thought. Wonderfully spacious and very nicely fitted throughout, and handy for strolls in Hyde Park, Green Park and St James' Park. The only catch is it's a little away from the 'action' but not much.

It's certainly walkable to Paddington (I think it took me 20-25 mins, but it could be done a little faster by walking through the park), but a taxi would be pretty cheap. There is a reception and cleaning, but apart from that you're left to your own.

From what we saw when looking for this, trading down a little in this area doesn't save much, but definitely trades down!

There are cheaper places to be had in other locations, typically more compact than this place - more like an aparthotel. Might be worth identifying a few candidates and then asking specifically on the area. Little that is central is outright bad, but there are areas more pleasant than others.

p.s. as well as the tube, try to work out the bus routes that go near your apartment. These are often a good alternative out of rush hour(s) and if you have a day ticket for the tube, this also includes the buses.

regards
Ian

Ian that apartment is amazing, but for the time we are staying there it's $373. 00 per night, about 291 GPB. Bit high for us.

I'm curious what the opinion on this place is. Hotel Cleveland 39-40 Cleveland square. Ratings aren't bad. Certainly is close to Paddington Station. https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/cl...om1=A,A;homd=1;atlas_src=sr_iw_btn#map_closed

Still looking a lot. Husband has 17 pages of airbnb he's sorting through as I look at booking.com

No wonder people go to travel agents. But you do learn so much about the places you are traveling to by doing all this upfront.

Cindy

Hi Cindy
Yes $373 a night is too much, nice as it is.

For me the studio looks very compact indeed - but not as bad as the single room! We had one like that a while ago, where the kitchenette isn't really feasible for cooking, just putting together salads picnics etc. with perhaps a single item re-heating (via microwave). If not doing too much eating there, it's a small improvement on a hotel room, but the luxury 1 bed apartment looks much more homely / spacious. Quite a bit more money though!

My husband and I have stayed twice in a studio apartment in this area (he actually stayed a few weeks), between the Gloucester Road tube station and the South Kensington tube station. Our favorite hotel in London is on Cromwell Road, other side of the Gloucester Road station. So we know this area well and really like it. Other than the V&A, it's not so near the main tourist sites, but they are an easy tube ride away... or a walk, if you enjoy walking. (We prefer that.) Lots of eating places... just a good vibe. Do you know the street that airbnb is on?

Looks good Cindy - a slightly odd outdoor eating area, but could be nice on a warm day for breakfast etc.
I note the classic British shower over a bath, which I don't mind and it opens up the option for a soak in the bath (or just a foot soak at the end of a long day's walking)

I'll just comment on the area, as you need to decide whether the flat and the price work for you. It's very near where we've stayed (we were a bit further out, on Onslow Gardens), just a few houses off Old Brompton Road. You could take a look on Google street view to get a sense of that block... looked very nice to me. There are shops nearby where you could pick up a few things for breakfast or a meal at the flat... and a big Waitrose at the Gloucester Road station.

Thanks so much Kathy and Ian. I think we are going to try for this one. Seems to fit the bill for us.

I greatly appreciate all your help. Getting opinions from other travelers/natives just helps with peace of mind.

Of course, rentals are always a gamble, but at least you know what the odds are before you start to play!

Cindy

The reviews on airbnb are the main reason I like them more than other agencies. People seem to be pretty honest in their reviews and we try to book places with loads of reviews.

All accommodations are set now. 5 nights in Bath, 6 nights in Chipping Campden and the final 5 nights in London. Whew. It was a whirlwind weekend of reading, searching, questioning and decision making. Thanks to everyone once again.

Next up car rental details and working out transportation from LHR to Bath where we will pick up our car. Still undecided whether to drop off the rental car at LHR or maybe Oxford when we leave Chipping Canpden.

Hey......do you pronounce the p in Campden?

Cindy

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina