• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where to celebrate our 40th? We’re stuck!

Linda Yoder

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
After 15 years of yearly going to Italy I can’t decide where I want to go for our 40th in May! We will be flying out of Rome and meeting up with our family in Greece after so we need to stay south. We have been to Amalfi Coast at least a dozen times but never stayed in Capri so that’s a consideration. Would love to hear some thoughts on that. The other idea is to go back to Puglia. We loved it there a few years ago and there was so much we didn’t get to see. Capri? Puglia? Somewhere else new?

Last edited by a moderator:
For something new, maybe the Campagna coast south of Salerno? Agropoli or Castellabate? Or further south, Maratea in Basilicata. Read Valerie's notes here: https://www.sloweurope.com/daytrip/1917/maratea/

We spent a week in Puglia a few years ago and there is still a lot we would like to see there, so I could see choosing that. We didn't even get to Lecce!

But a 40th anniversary (congrats!!) might deserve something very special, like a great place on Capri. We spent the day there in October and I loved it (we had been once before). I could see staying there for a week.

If you enjoy the South, would Sicily appeal? A world of variety on the island and offshore islands.

There is something to be said for having half the holiday in familiar territory (returning to old favourites) and half elsewhere, so linking that with Pauline's suggestion (or Capri) might work?

In thinking about and researching options all day I’m leaning on Capri because it sounds relaxing. We won’t need a car and we can just rest up and take in the beauty before the chaos...I mean fun of our family arriving.

We love Ischia..( 4 stays)...thermal pools, less tourists, wonderful food and truly old italy. We also have spent time south of Salarno.....visiting the Christopher redentore is very special.....we were there fore our 50 th...happy anniversary’s

Because it's a very special occasion, I'd opt for something that's sort of "blow out" and romantic! Capri could definitely do it, though assuming you'll be doing isles in Greece so maybe mainland Italy?

My first thought was Palazzo Belmonte in Castellabate (still owned by an actual prince). http://www.palazzobelmonte.com/en/il-palazzo/ Or swanky Santa Venere of Maratea https://www.santavenere.it/ if you want to explore new ground.

Or...Capri is dreamy. :)

Have you considered Lake Como? Beautiful, and so relaxing. We always stay at Albergo Milano in Varenna. Nothing fancy, but Room #2 with a large terrace overlooking the lake is very special. Some great restaurants as well. The lake is truly spectacular, and getting around the lake is very easy, using the Ferry system.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina