• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where to go in late July/early August

devarae

100+ Posts
Hello folks! I hope this topic fits okay in this forum, if not my apologies.

My husband and I are hoping to take a longer vacation this year, budget willing, but our timing is restricted by our job schedules. At the moment it looks like the most likely time is 10-13 days between July 24 and August 15. The place we were originally thinking of going next was Rome, but I think Rome at that time of year will be too hot for us. We were also considering Cornwall but I am worried it might be too crowded then (though I guess that is probably true of a lot of places during the summer!).

If you were going anywhere in Europe at that time of year, where would you go? Are there any particular regions that might have especially good weather (or good prices) at that time of year? Or where the natural beauty or atmosphere are especially appealing at that time of year?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Deva

The Cotswolds!

I was on Kathy and Charley's Cotswolds Experience in 2017, the last week of July/first of August, and it was in the 60s. I needed a jacket, more than not. That's my kind of weather. Yes, a bit of drizzle, but only one day with a lot of rain.

I also spent 4 days in London before joining them. It was crowded around the usual high-interest sites, but was wonderful in my Chelsea neighborhood.

Thanks Cameron! That is a great idea! I am glad to hear the Cotswolds were so enjoyable at that time of year! We have been once before but we loved it so much we have talked about going back. Last time we were there the first week of September and it was pretty much ideal-- great weather and not too crowded. I imagine in late July it might be slightly more crowded but maybe not too bad if we stay away from the most famous villages (which we mostly saw on our last visit in any case).

Or perhaps we might venture a bit further west into Wales... I just need to decide if we are up for driving, eep! Last time we used hired cars and the bus system (and hiking), after our harrowing experience driving in Ireland (the narrow roads really made me anxious, much more than driving on the "wrong" side).

If you want to stay in England, also think about Yorkshire and Northumberland. We took a 2 week family trip a couple of years ago. Yorkshire, unlike the nearby Lake District, doesn't seem to get as many visitors. We loved the small villages, old abbey ruins, castles, gardens, and friendly people. Northumberland had dramatic scenery, the ocean, and fabulous castles.

The weather was very pleasant. We had some rain and the day we wanted to go on a boat excursion to see the puffins, it was too windy and they cancelled the boats. It is best to drive in the area as the buses are few and far between. The roads are narrow but felt easier to drive than other areas of the UK that we've been to.

I enjoyed Yorkshire so much that I am returning this summer to walk the Dales Way with a friend.

Of course, I agree with Cameron's comments about the Cotswolds in July/August. We've been there at that time of year many years and the weather is usually very pleasant. A few years it has been in the 80's with not one drop of rain. But you could also need a jacket. In the UK, I think you should definitely expect the unexpected and "go with the flow" rain or shine.

I wouldn't go to Cornwall in July or August. It's prime time for family holidays and this is a popular destination. It will be crowded and the driving will be slow.

We've also done several long distance walks in other parts of the UK in late July/early August... the Cotswold Way in 2013, the Coast-to-Coast walk (beginning in the Lake District to the east coast of Yorkshire) in 2014, and Offa's Dyke from south to north on the border of Wales and England in 2016. These are all beautiful areas and we didn't find many crowds as we passed through various towns and villages. Some days we walked in t-shirts and other days in fleece jackets (or raincoats)... it is what it is!

Unless we're on our walks, we always prefer to have a car in rural UK... you just have so much more flexibility in terms of going where you want to go when you want to go.

Kathy

We’ve been to Cornwall in July and in August. The weather is best then and it was busy, but not too bad. All the coastal and vacation destinations in the UK are busy in the school holidays, from mid-July to end of August. We live on the Dorset Coast and it gets very busy here during summer hols. It makes it fun. You just have to have a backup if a seaside parking lot is full.

You might also consider the Alps - in France, Italy or Switzerland. Or have a lazy trip and stay at the seaside in France or Italy. The Cilento Coast, south of the Amalfi Coast in Italy is less crowded than other spots.

To escape the heat in summer in Europe I think your options are northern countries (Scandinavia!), mountains or give into it and do seaside. All great choices.

Following as we are figuring out for 2019...

In consideration for us are Scotland and France...Paris, Brittany, Provence/Luberon. (or the USA :p)

I am glad someone else is having this quandary, misstravelbug; I hope you can find a wonderful July/August destination too!

Based on all the suggestions here and my own mulling, at the moment I'm debating between Scottish Highlands, Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Wales, Iceland or maybe Sweden.

I'd love to visit the Alps though I am more of a walker than my husband! But I have been reading the various trip reports on Switzerland with great longing so maybe I should look into that and see if there's other things that might appeal to him there.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina