• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Where to spend 8 nights on my 4th trip to Spain?

YoPhilly

My husband and I are disembarking from a cruise in Barcelona in early April, and we're flying out of Madrid 9 days later. I've been reading these boards and others, trying to decide what towns to visit in that week. Figure 8 nights. We don't need to build time in Barcelona or Madrid, except for 1 pre-flight night near Madrid airport. We'd leave Barcelona as soon as we disembark; that city is way too hectic for my taste. We're interested in a slow pace, good food, interesting architecture, not into nightlife. I'm open to suggestions. We could fly anywhere from BCN, or take a train, or rent a car. I think the weather in early April should be fairly pleasant.

My husband has only been to Barcelona; I've been to Spain several times. In addition to Barcelona, I've been to Madrid, Avila, Toledo, Segovia, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Salamanca - all beautiful. I did a solo train trip around Andalucia and loved the Moorish architecture of Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada and would go back to any of them in a heartbeat. (I spent 5 nights in Sevilla and was never bored.)

What are your recommendations?

Sevilla, Sevilla, Sevilla. April is perfect weather-wise. We spent a month there in February 3 years ago and loved every day of it. Easy transportion to other Andalusian cities if you want. Quick train ride back to Madrid or convenient flights as well.

Semana Santa is April 10 to 17 in 2022. Travel at this time will be hectic and if you intend to visit Sevilla during this time one would not be amiss in reserving a place now. One can't go wrong with Sevilla!

One can retreat from the hustle of Barcelona quickly by heading towards the French border. Girona has fine restaurants and we enjoy the varied towns of the Alt Emporda. Our visits there in March have been met with settled weather. My one caution is to avoid the town of Roses. A car is necessary to enjoy the area to its fullest. As a bonus one can travel across the border to visit Cathar country in France.

Farther afield, you may wish to consider Valencia. It has interesting architecture, good food and an extensive walkable park system.

We are taken with the Province of Galicia and its cities of Santiago and La Coruna and smaller towns along the Costa del Morte. We have experienced good weather there in April but it is prone to springtime showers. In fact, showers in any season.

For a lower key holiday close to Sevilla (1 hour by train) any of the 3 points on the Sherry Triangle (Jerez, El Puerto, or Sanlucar) provide opportunity for sherry tasting and good seafood. Cadiz is a 15 minute train ride from El Puerto.

The Rioja region provides great opportunities. Laguardia has two famous bodegas designed by international architects and good restaurants. The nearby small city of Logrono is noted for its tapas. A car is a definite asset when visiting this area.

Just a few places to consider in your initial planning.
Buen Camino.
Dennis

My husband and I are disembarking from a cruise in Barcelona in early April, and we're flying out of Madrid 9 days later. I've been reading these boards and others, trying to decide what towns to visit in that week. Figure 8 nights. We don't need to build time in Barcelona or Madrid, except for 1 pre-flight night near Madrid airport. We'd leave Barcelona as soon as we disembark; that city is way too hectic for my taste. We're interested in a slow pace, good food, interesting architecture, not into nightlife. I'm open to suggestions. We could fly anywhere from BCN, or take a train, or rent a car. I think the weather in early April should be fairly pleasant.

My husband has only been to Barcelona; I've been to Spain several times. In addition to Barcelona, I've been to Madrid, Avila, Toledo, Segovia, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Salamanca - all beautiful. I did a solo train trip around Andalucia and loved the Moorish architecture of Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada and would go back to any of them in a heartbeat. (I spent 5 nights in Sevilla and was never bored.)

San Sebastian is a favorite of ours. On our last trip we spent several days across the water in Saint Jean de Luz, France which was delightful. Stayed at Hotel de La Plage which is right on the beach. Also, if you want to stay in the BCN area but not in the city, Girona is lovely for a few days.

D

Did you get to go in April? And on the cruise? If so, where did you go in Spain and did you go into Portugal? We will be disembarking from a transatlantic crossing in Barcelona in September 2023 and need to start planning our days after that too.

Barcelona in September 2023 and need to start planning our days after that too.
We were last there in Sept. - Oct. 2019
Contact me if you'd like more info on Barcelona and other areas in Northern Spain.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina