• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Which "rent from owner" websites do you like best?

I've used VRBO for several trips and happy with the outcome in all cases... London, Alaska and now Italy. Friends have good success with airbnb, particularly in new york city.

Only one was a disappointment. That one (in Rome on Campo dei Fiori) was extremely noisy, a fact which none of the glowing reviews mentioned....

Also, Heidi--that apartment looks fantastic. Just be careful on those stairs.

Jan, I remember your Campo dei Fiori apartment right on the lively & loud Campo ~ when the partiers left in the wee hours, the venders arrived to set-up the food market. Was there ever any quiet time?

My apartment does have some stairs but there is an elevator, and a first for me, a concierge....

A month in Venezia ~ wow!

I think I answered this question in the thread about reviews. Just to summarise, I've used many of the vacation rental sites. Most are owned by 2 companies (TA and VRBO). Many including Airbnb, are not actually owner owned rentals but agencies promoting their rentals. Many of the apartments/flats/houses are cross advertised. I find it irritating when the assumption is that the owner is advertising their home.

Airbnb has rooms and I think those are probably people wanting to share their home. But not all the time. I'm not interested in rooms so don't pay much attention.

I think apartment rentals have become big business and everyone is jumping on board. The sites are becoming unwieldy and there doesn't seem to be much oversight. I used to really like VRBO.

I've also used private management companies such as Nice Pebbles.
It depends on where I'm going and what is available and looks good and trustworthy. I communicate with the owner/manager in advance. I never reserve w/o that contact.
For Oxford, I've used Sabatical Homes altho the site isn't great. It just happens to be where we found our flat.

I don't entirely trust photos esp by management companies. They know how to take a good picture. I read the desc. and look at layout if there is one. Having said that, the photos are lovely to have and look at. I just keep in mind that the actual apt may look a little different.
While researching Oxford, I emailed people who had stayed in several of the flats and asked some questions.

I've never had a bad experience. Some of the places(not many) have been disappointing but not truly bad. Hope my luck continues.

If I can pay with credit card, I'm happy. Paypal next best method. But for this long term rental in Oxford couldn't use either but am still doing it b/c it just seems perfect for us.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina