• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Who loves Lisbon and why?

Jan55612

100+ Posts
Several months ago I posed the question "Who loves Madrid and why?" in advance of a trip we took to Madrid. I loved reading the responses and it helped me plan our time in Madrid. We leave soon for Lisbon and I would love to hear from anyone who would like to share their favorite experiences in Lisbon.

We haven't been to Lisbon, but have been to northern Portugal and we loved it. Friendly people, interesting cities and towns. Very beautiful. Have a great trip!

I spent 3 weeks in Lisbon in 2014 (November) and I loved it! First, its a very beautiful city and there's is so much to see. The people are so friendly too. Jonathan gave me some really great ideas (and tips), especially his recommendation to go to LX Factory to have the most delicious chocolate (Landeau) cake I have ever tasted.

There are these viewing points situated on hills that are fun to visit and just take in scenery. Deinitely take some comfortable walking shoes and be careful on the trams especially Tram 28, because there are some very talented pick pockets. I was warned several times by the locals.

Lisbon also has some nice nearby towns to do a quick day trip (maybe even overnight). I would recommend Sintra. I wished that I had done an overnight there because there were several sites I didn't get a chance to see. I also enjoyed Evora and Ovidos. I did a long day trip (2 nights) to Porto which is north of Lisbon. If you get a chance to visit, definitely take a Winery tour. Fun! I blogged a little about my experiences here. If you get a chance you can visit the National Tile Museum, that was very enjoyable.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks, Pauline, Jonathan, and Kathy! I recently reread your blog, Kathy and I was glad I did because it reminded me of some things I have added to my list and/or Google Map. Jonathan, I recently reread your Lisbon entry also and found it very helpful in planning our trip. I am so looking forward to exploring Lisbon!

Jan
I'm looking forward to your leading the way. Sintra is supposed to be a lovely medieval village just 40 minutes from Lisbon. Highly recommended. Ron has a colleague originally from Lisbon and she is encouraging us to visit.

Thanks, Lisa. We are planning on going to Sintra. We'll give you a report when we meet in Lisbon!

We have been in Lisboa for two weeks. Since we have a month here, we have been taking it very slow. I mean really slow.

We have been to Belem a couple of times. The first time I went to the Jeronimos Monastery, had coffee and Pastel de Belem, and wandered around the park for awhile. Today, we went to the Museu Colecao Berardo. What a fabulous art museum! We will return to this one because we enjoyed it so much. The permanent collection is organized in a very logical (to me, anyway) manner and has work by many of my favorite artists. While we were there we scored tickets at the ticket office for the Pequeno Auditorio for the fado concert by Carolina on Saturday night. I am so excited to be going!!

We have also explored the CAM-Centro de Arte Moderna da Fundacao Calouste Gulbenkian and the Chiado Museum, which is the national museum of contemporary art. Both collections are interesting, but nowhere near as large and encompassing as the Museu Colecao Berardo. CAM did have a temporary exhibit about the Delaunay Circle (Robert and Sonia and other artists).

Additionally, we really enjoyed the Fundacao Arpad Szenes-Vieira Da Silva, which is an excellent small private art museum.

More highlights later. Off the continue my journey in Lisboa.

Well i visited Lisbon like about 6 months back and I loved it.
The people here were very friendly, then the guide we hired was actually really helpful and took us to some very beautiful places.
I loved the food here as well.
Overall it was an awesome experience!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina