• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Israel

Pauline

Forums Admin
My thoughts are with the Israeli members of this forum and everyone connected to Israel. I feel connected to Israel because of the wonderful five trips we did there. I’ve been reading about it all in the NYTimes and other news sources and listening to the analysis on Pod Save the World. The Promised Podcast from Tel Aviv, which Marian got me listening too, is broadcasting about it all too.

So many horrible things have gone on this year - war in Israel and Ukraine, fires in Hawaii and northern Canada, earthquakes in Morocco and Afghanistan. These are just the things I remember. Difficult times.

I just saw this thread in the Italy forum which brings up the question of how the Israel situation may affect other nearby countries.

My thoughts are with the Israeli members of this forum and everyone connected to Israel. I feel connected to Israel because of the wonderful five trips we did there. I’ve been reading about it all in the NYTimes and other news sources and listening to the analysis on Pod Save the World. The Promised Podcast from Tel Aviv, which Marian got me listening too, is broadcasting about it all too.

So many horrible things have gone on this year - war in Israel and Ukraine, fires in Hawaii and northern Canada, earthquakes in Morocco and Afghanistan. These are just the things I remember. Difficult times.
Hi Pauline. I haven’t checked in here in months, as I’m not really traveling. Hope the condition you’ve been suffering has eased a bit and you are getting around better.
The situation in Israel since the Hamas terrorists invasion on October 7 is mostly all that’s on my mind. And the awful recrudescence of antisemitism here in the US and elsewhere. I’m glad you are following the Promised Podcast, which I think is pretty good even if Noah is sometimes a bit long winded.
Periodicals…. I can’t read or listen to any news source that refuses to refer to the Hamas invaders as terrorists.
I’ve been listening to two other podcasts for nearly a year now: “For Heaven’s Sake” and “The Identity Crisis”. Both are from The Hartman Institute, The former has the great writer Yossi Klein Halevi in conversation with the head of the Hartman Institute.
Like everyone Jewish I know, I’m only a few degrees removed from someone who either has had someone very close called up to active duty in Israel, or horribly murdered, or taken hostage. About 240 hostages, which the International Red Cross, to its great shame, has not yet visited. Lots of internal displacement too, from the unsafe north and south to the center, including my cousin’s wife and baby.
I hope someday the situation will be safe enough for normal tourists to return. There's a long haul ahead, but it will happen.

Hi Marian, good to hear from you. I’ve had a bad year but am doing much better the last month and almost feeling my old self! Treatment plan ends soon so maybe I am getting through it.

I have been consumed with the Israel news too. I had hoped hostages would be released today, but now they are saying Friday. Promised Podcast has helped me keep up to date. I’ll check out the others you mentioned.

Thomas Friedman had an excellent column in the NYTimes yesterday about the rescuers on Oct 7. His columns all through this have been good.

Noam Bardin who founded the GPS app Waze and the social media app Post moved back to Israel after Oct 7 and has been posting on Post regularly.
Check out "Noam Bardin" on Post at https://post.news/@/noam

Also LifesaFeast on Instagram is posting updates from her brother who lives in Israel.

Here is hoping we both get back to Jerusalem sometime soon.

I do wonder when they will be able to open for tourism. It seems like many of the hotels and Airbnbs are in use by people who had to flee from towns by the Gaza and Lebanese borders.

I hope that the war will end soon and that peace and stability will return to the region. I look forward to the day when we can travel to Israel again without fear and enjoy its wonders.

Many of the kibbutz/moshav use workers from Thailand and when some of them were captured by Hamas, the rest went back to Thailand (I think this is correct). A few years ago we stayed on a moshav in the Negev and they had a lot of Thai farm workers. I read that Malawi is sending workers to Israel now.

I wonder how many Americans have gone to also help with the crops? I had not heard about that.

I would love to go to Israel next year!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina