• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

10 Days in the Countryside

Julie

10+ Posts
We are 2 couples planning on 2 weeks+ in England in mid-late September, with 5 days devoted to London and 10 days beyond. We will have a car. The Roman baths in Bath and Stonehenge are two musts, and then I've been focusing on the Cotswolds for a several day stay. We like to be active, and look forward to walks, and perhaps bicycle riding. Both husbands are architects. Any suggestions on another area for us to explore that would be complementary, yet manageable within our time frame? Any thoughts on doing the London portion the first week or the last? PS - as whippet owners, would love to find a show or lure course event to drop in on!

Hi Julie
I think you've got a nice flow there, from London to Cotswolds to Bath/Stonehenge, so my suggestion tacks nicely onto the start of that - Stratford upon Avon. Lots of historic houses in the centre, plus the more modern revamped threatre, and the river remains a lovely feature. Stratford is on the eastern fringe of the Cotswolds so logistics should be easy, and hiring a car from here (taking the train from London) might be worth looking at (nationalrail.co.uk). Other places locally, but with the other places already inked in, I'm thinking 2 nights should suffice.

If flying any distance, the absolute ideal is countryside/rural where you don't need a car. Jetlag is often easily countered by getting outside and let the light guide your sleeping. If you can get a flight into Birmingham International, then Stratford (or nearby) could serve the purpose rather well. Failing that, if flying into London, then I'd do that first. You'll be on foot so can get over jetlag before getting in a car, the adrenaline of so many famous sites can keep you going, but you might have a little frustration if wide awake at 2am.

Definitely do an internet search for dog shows / events (indeed the NEC in Birmingham might have a massive show if you're lucky - worth a check on the offchance, but this will be a full on multi hall exhibition type event - I could see the appeal of a local one for meeting real people, fellow enthusiasts, in a real setting. I'm not sure when Crufts is on, but that might be worth considering if the dates align. It is the big dog show in the country. At the opposite end of the scale, some villages, towns, areas, regions, counties have 'country shows', often timed for the old harvest festivals. These will have mixed attractions, but might just have enough interest locally to have something of interest.

regards
Ian

Crufts is actually happening this week! I have a friend with whippets and I know how singularly devoted owners are to the breed. You probably don't want to look at other dogs! Try this site http://www.thewhippetclub.com/ and perhaps contact them to find out when racing/coursing might be happening near wherever you are staying. The National Championships used to happen just near me at Moreton in Marsh but I think they have moved venue. (NB I am not self-advertising and trying to 'lure' :) you here as I am already booked mid-late September!). Ian's suggestion of flying into Birmingham is good as the drive to Stratford (about 35 mins) and the Cotswolds from there is easy.

Ian and Felicity have posted since I started to write this. There are so many ideas and way too many for your ten days...

Have you read Artnbarb's thread on Small Towns and Villages in Southern England? There could well be plenty of ideas here.

The Cotswold's is lovely with all the small stone villages and so wonderful old churches. Have a look here for some of them. There are the splendid wool churches like Fairford, Chipping Campden, Burford and Bloxham. There is the lovely old Norman church at Elkstone. Some of the churches have wonderful wall paintings. Good examples are South Leigh, Lower Oddington, South Newington...

There is the magnificent Blenheim Palace - allow yourselves a full day to do this justice as well as smaller stately homes like Kelmscott Manor with its links to William Morris. There is the ruined Minster Lovell with its ghosts.... There is Oxford with all its colleges and Stratford with its Shakespeare connections and black and white timber frame architecture.

I'd also wondered about East Anglia. There is Cambridge with its University colleges and the spectacular Kings College Chapel (unfortunately it was a dull and damp day when I visited and part of it was scaffolded up).

Suffolk
has some wonderful wool churches - possibly even better than those in the Cotswolds. Blythburgh has to be my all time favourite with its angel ceiling. Southwold is pretty good too and this is a lovely small seaside town with brightly coloured beach huts. Lavenham is equally impressive and the village is a really popular too. Walberswick Church must be one of Suffolk’s most dramatic ruins. There is Framlingham with its ruined castle and magnificent church where the Howard family tombs. Stately Homes include Somerleyton, Kentwell, Melford, Ickworth. There is also Flatford Mill with its connectons to the artist John Constable. Visit Aldeburgh and Snape for their connections to Benjamin Britten.

Norwich has the wonderful Norman cathedral, again visited on a dull damp day! There is also Little Walsingham which was once one of the most important pilgrimage shrines in the Middle Ages. There is very little left of the Priory but a new Anglican Shrine church has been built and the pilgrims are still making their way. The Shrine Church is an amazing building and with the chapels and wall paintings is more like a European Catholic church. It also has a small Russian Orthodox chapel and there is a small Russian Orthodox Chapel in the village. Guess what the weather was dull and damp again...

Norfolk is probably even better for Stately Homes include Blickling, Felbrigg, Oxburgh, Peckover House, Holkham and Houghton. The coast with its small villages is also worth exploring - places like Wells next the sea, Sherringham, Cromer...

Another option. London first. Train to Bath for a few nights. Pickup rental car. Drive up to Cotswolds. Stay near Broadway or Chipping Camden or Moreton. There are great walking trails in the Cotswolds. Drive to Salisbury for a couple of nights. See Stonehenge and Avebury from there. Drive to airport.

I have a website about the Cotswolds - cotswolder.com. We lived there for 6 years. There is walking/hiking info on Cotswolder.

You might consider a walking tour in the Cotswolds, walking from town to town. Cotswold Walks is a local company with a great selection of self-guided tours.

Info about Avebury and Stonehenge on this site.

Nice to see someone planning a Cotswolds trip! If @Felicity 's place were available, it would be a good place to stay! Beautiful house, perfect location.

Thank you, Ian, Felicity, Eleanor and Pauline for the wonderful guidance. I have a lot of reading to do, which I thoroughly look forward to doing! I'm sure I will post again as plans develop further!

Goodness Julie, it sounds like I am planning a very similar trip, with the exception of the dog show. Our trip is planned for September 19 through October 5th. I'll be investigating the responses you've received. Thus will be a big help and maybe keep me from asking all the same questions.

Cindy P.

Goodness Julie, it sounds like I am planning a very similar trip, with the exception of the dog show. Our trip is planned for September 19 through October 5th. I'll be investigating the responses you've received. Thus will be a big help and maybe keep me from asking all the same questions.

Cindy P.
That's great, Cindy, let's stay in touch, maybe we'll get to arrange a GTG/meet-up while we're both there?!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina