• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

15 Ways to Drink Coffee in Italy

Pauline

Forums Admin
This is an informative graphic about the styles of coffee drinks in Italy:

Benvenuto Limos - 15 Ways Italy Drinks Coffee

My drink in Italy is either Caffe Macchiato or the basic "caffe".

Note: The photo for Caffe Americano is wrong. It doesn't have milk. See posts below - some of these are incorrect, some are missing.

15-ways-italy-drinks-cofee-lrg.jpg

Last edited:
And that 'Caffè Doppio' photo is absurd! Furthermore (a pedant adds), the Caffè Lungo wouldn't really be considered 'long' by anyone from the English-speaking world... And what's that photo of the Caffè Corretto supposed to represent?!

So many mistakes here! And coffee is a very serious business. ;-)

And thinking now: You can't leave out caffè shakerato at this time of year. This is a wonderfully refreshing grown up cousin to caffè freddo.

Last edited:
Here is Judy Witt's article about caffe shakerato. I have never had one, but we are in Tuscany next week and it is forecast to be HOT, so I will try one (or at least a caffe freddo).

Over a Tuscan Stove - Caffe Shakerato
"They take a hot shot of expresso and pour it over a shaker full of ice cubes.
You can get it sweetened ( usually with some simple syrup) or not. They give it several hard shakes --- and voila'."

>> Is the shaking and sweetening the difference between a caffe freddo and a caffe shakerato?

Steve looked it up in Dana's Italian Menu Decoder App (while I was posting to Judy on Facebook):

Caffe freddo - iced. Often a very sweet cold espresso, sometimes poured over a glass of ice. Many now prefer a shakerato (see below).
Caffe shakerato - Espresso with ice and cane sugar, shaken not stirred

Buf, where should I start? :(
Half of those do not exist or are badly described... please please never ask for a Caffè latte (or caffelatte) in Italy, it is a bowl of (usually warm) milk with coffee that people have for breakfast at home (usually with bread and jam or bisquits dipped in it if you're under 12).
Yes, caffé freddo is just plain cold coffee.. regardless of how you prepare it and if it has sugar and/or ice in it
Shakerato is foamy, sugary and iced.

A typical Northern Le Marche twist on "Corretto" is la Moretta

I won't show this to Bryan or there will be no end of comment from the passionate caffe' drinker! ;)

I love me a caffe shakerato this time of year, different from caffe freddo because the vigorous shaking makes it come out frothy. However, down here the caffe freddo is presweetened and put in the freezer so it's more like a coffee slushy (granita) which is very nice on a hot day, too.

Caffe Latte and Latte Macchiato are basically the same thing. And what the hell is that Caffe Medici? Boh! They left off the Marocchino (here they call it 'espressino'), a shot of espresso with cocoa dusted on top of it then topped with a dollop of froth. Of course, none of this matters to any of the old guys who frequent my bar, they wouldn't imagine anything other than a "caffe sporco" - corretto with anise liquor.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina