• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2 Nights In Bath - Where To Stay?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Next July we'll take the train from London on a Thursday morning to Bath, where we'll spend 2 nights. Do we want to/can we stay around the train station? If not where's a good location, and can anyone recommend a reasonably priced b&b well-located so that we can maximize our sightseeing?

The train station is a few blocks from the center of Bath. Bath is pretty small, so you are not really limited to that one area.

I like the area near the Circus and the Royal Crescent, above the busy central area. Bathwick would also be good. There are lots of nice residential areas.

So - we've picked a B&B, and it's quite a story! Because I'm spending all our money for FIVE nights in London and Ten nights in the Cotswolds, I was determined to save money with our 2 nights in Bath. I checked out several recommended places online, trying to get the best location at the lowest price. I decided against one of the lower priced rooms, not just because the rooms were drab and plain, but also because it was over a pub. We go to bed early because we get up early, so why risk it?

Cornersway seemed to fit all our requirements - and the rate was 78 pounds - less without breakfast. I had several emails with the owner, Susan, but then for some strange reasons she stopped receiving my emails! I contacted her thru her website and was surprised when my phone rang on Sunday morning and it was Susan! I was able to discuss room choices with her, and re-establish contact via another email account.

Pauline was in Bath a week or so ago and checked out the location for me, gave it 2 thumbs up AND even took pictures for me!, so I'm set for Bath! Thanks Pauline! I'm so relieved to have all this OVER and DONE with! Finding lodging is always stressful for me because I'm cheap, but I still want the most bang for my buck!

I still need to find lodging for our last night in Windsor, which will also need to be at the low end of the spectrum. Like Bath, I'm not expecting to find a lot of budget options!

One cheap option in England is Premier Inn, a chain of newer built hotels. Nothing historic, but I have heard reports that they are well priced and comfortable. I think we will try one someday. We have stayed in many similar places in the US on car trips.

Premier Inns are great, especially for one/two night stands so to speak. Book & prepay on-line for a great rate as well. We used this chain at 4 different locations in both England & Ireland on this last trip. The rooms are a good size, they are clean and have marvelous beds! In each case there was a restaurant attached to the hotel, and in fact if you choose, you can buy a package that includes breakfast & dinner. While not fine dining the meals are substantial and tasty. Plenty of free parking. The staff at each location were very congenial, helpful and engaging. We would definitely use them again and would have no hesitation in recommending Premier Inns.

Well, there aren't any Premier Inns in Windsor, so I'm back to my previous choice, Langton House, who quoted me £107, which include breakfast. We'll arrange for a taxi to take us to the airport the next morning. I think I'd rather stay in Windsor than at an airport hotel, wouldn't you?

'I think I'd rather stay in Windsor than at an airport hotel, wouldn't you? ' Certainly would agree - the airport hotels are useful but busy and bland and there is nothing to do around them in the evening. You can have a wander around Windsor without quite the crowds of the daytime or down to the riverside if it is a nice evening. I drove my daughter to Eton, just over the river, very early in the morning a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely in the early light - and with not a soul about ( except some swans !)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina