• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2 Weeks In Sussex - Decision Time!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I need to make a final decision regarding our 2 week stay in Sussex next summer. I have it narrowed down to 2 properties, one on the edge of a village near the sea,, the other a barn conversion on a farm slightly more inland.

The prices are the same, so that's not a factor. Both properties have a small outdoor space with table and chairs - neither space is large, or has much of a view, but it's just nice to have outdoor space. The farm cottage has the bedroom on the second floor (or first floor in European terminology.) The village house, in Rottingdean, (https://goo.gl/maps/gff2BzF5GGU2) seems much smaller, but the idea of being within walking distance of a village seems appealing.

The farm property, in Chiddingly (https://goo.gl/maps/zPWbmWwujo42), is 21 miles (38 minutes) from Rottingdean. (I hope this map link works!) Since we'll be venturing out on most days, we wouldn't have to drive as far to Chiddingly, and have the benefit of having built-in neighbors from the 2 adjoining rentals on either side. This property has a sun room as well as a living room.

Here are some details about each property:
Any thoughts, or comments on variables I might not have considered? Thanks for any input, I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide!

Last edited:
Both sound lovely and I can understand why you are finding it difficult to decide.

Something which did strike me was parking at both - especially Figgy Cottage. Is there on site parking or would you have to park a distance away?

Assuming you will be using the car most days access to shops won't be an issue. A lot may depend whether you want to walk to the pub most evenings.....

Parking isn't an issue for either location. Walking to the pub sounds wonderful, but I with the long days of summer I wonder how many evenings we'll even be 'at home', and I know we prefer early-to-bed early-to-rise rather than late nights at the pub, so perhaps being in the village isn't as much of a factor as I previously thought.

Figgy is cute but looks small. Kitchen table with 2 chairs, no sofa, small double bed. The farm cottage is bigger. Kitchen table with 4 chairs, sofa but no other chair in sitting room?, sunroom, two single beds made up as one large bed. Both look to be in historic buildings. Figgy is all on one level with bedroom on ground floor, not 1st.

Figgy is beside the church. Do the bells ring all night?

I would choose Figgy because you can walk into the village, walk to the sea, take a bus to Brighton, walk on coast path to Brighton. It seems like a place where you can spend some time locally, not having to drive out each day.

Airbnb shows Figgy as booked for the end of July and start of August, which I think are your dates. Decision might be made!
I think that's me! they told me I didn't have to worry about a deposit, and are holding it for me - which is why I want to make a final decision ASAP! And yes, I've found the sites - not sure why their own site is so bad! And yes, you're right about the BR being on the ground floor of Figgy Cottage!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina