• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2018 Travel Plans?

Italy again this year, but this time we are going to Paris first. We weren't planning to travel to Europe again this year, but when we found amazingly cheap tickets from Orange County - Paris, then Rome - LAX ($528 RT!) how could we not go! We are leaving Sept. 29 and spending 4 days in an apartment in Vincennes, just outside Paris. Then, taking the TGV train from Paris to Torino, where we'll spend 2 days. Pick up rental car and drive to the Langhe in Piemonte for 3 days, then 5 days at our friends' plance near Bagni di Lucca (Toscana) and finally 4 days in Rome before returning home Oct. 20th. Looking forward to being there in the fall again!

Went to Australia for two weeks at the end of January and into the first week of February. Spent a couple of days in Sydney and Melbourne but spent the bulk of the time driving the Great Ocean Road and a couple of days in the Grampians, a day in Ballarat and back to Melbourne before flying back out.

Just booked two weeks at the end of April and into May, to be split between Malta and western Sicily.

Have a week and a half for Singapore and Bali in mid June.

May or may not look at northern Italy in August or September, depending on whether I could use miles for the trip.

Just saw this thread: Japan & South Korea last summer, moved to a new city, Nassau for the Kelly & Ryan tv show last Feb., Oxford, London, South ampton, St. Peter's Port, N. France & N. spain this spring, Carribean in the fall and South America around the Horn next winter.
Are people posting on the GTG threads anymore?

Everything is set for me until end of July. Basically, Germany in April and May, Budapest in June, Italy in July, and maybe Germany again for the trip to Berchtesgaden National Park.

We are returning ot the UK for four weeks in mid-May. Usually we spend a week in several different cities in a self-catering cottage as we will do this time. We are returning (for the third year in a row) for a week in Craster, Northumberland. That will be followed by a week each in Whitney, North Yorshire (again, a repeat from last year) and a week in a lighthouse cottage in Cromer, Norfolkshire. From there we go on to three nights in a B&B in Oxford which is a great place to stay since it is only an hour from Heathrow and the return flight back to the USA. For rentals we normally use Coastal Retreats and Rural Retreats for booking although this time we used TripAdvisor for our self catered condo in Whitby.

So far since Jan 1 a week kayaking in Feb. in the Andaman Sea. Then a long weekend in Luang Prabang and 15 days in Bangkok over 4 months.
Balance of the year June to August USA. Sept to Nov 10 Italy, then 10 days in December at the new
20180427_110438.jpg

An update - we leave on the May/June trip described in #65 in two weeks. Since that post, we have booked Christmas and New Year's (12 days) in Dingle, Co. Kerry, Ireland (which is our home away from home). Hopefully by then I will officially have dual citizenship as I submitted by application for Irish citizenship based on my grandparent's Irish birth. And we will return to Dingle again for six weeks from end of April 2019 through early June 2019. This fall we are doing a five week USA trip buffeted on each end by a week in Depoe Bay, OR - in between a road trip east to Glacier Bay, MT. a week in Coeur D'Alane, ID, and a week in Seattle, WA.

Hello! How did you like Malta?

Liked it a lot. Rabat is where Game of Thrones filmed a lot of their scenes. Beautiful coastal landscapes and old architecture.

I went in April because it’s one of the driest places in Europe. I don’t know how warm the ocean is for swimming but there were a lot of people sunbathing by the water, especially the famous Blue Lagoon.

Would highly recommend one of those tours that take you on a boat and drop you off on Gozo, to a mini bus here and then pick you up and drop you off at the smaller island where the Blue Lagoon is.

Also a good time to pair it with a visit to Sicily, which is what I did. Short flight and there are many flights per day. Did get some rain in Sicily but good amount of sun there too this past April.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina