• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

28 days to go!

nola44

10+ Posts
I've been planning this trip to London, Goodwood for the Festival of Speed and Bath it seems like for-ever! It really has been in the works for about 4 years because it's my nephew's high school graduation present. He knew about it when his sister graduated 4 years ago and her present was a trip to Paris. He chose London.

Our first hotel was booked in September 2014 for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It's a a huge car race my husband wants to see and it was very hard to find a place to sleep. Those tickets came in the mail in October. I also received our tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys in October. Our itinerary is all set (but not in stone!). Some things will be weather dependent (an evening at the Wimbledon Championships and the London Eye) and we're still waiting to hear if we'll have a London Greeter tour of Greenwich.

I'm now down to the last details. Yesterday I purchased trip insurance, pre-booked our tour of Parliament, printed our 2-4-1 vouchers, and pre-booked the British Library Magna Carta Exhibition. I still have to talk to my credit card co. about the car rental, get our travelcard pictures, talk to Verizon about using the phone there, reconfirm our hotel for Goodwood and Cornerways B&B in Bath, and set an arrival time for the apartment in London. We have to order one more Michelin map for driving.

I'm ready to pack and be there already. :)

So, we leave tomorrow! I can't believe June 25 is just about here.

I'll pack up tonight and hope for the best, weather-wise. We don't usually travel in summer so I'm not as sure about my "staples" as I usually am (jeans, long and short-sleeved shirts over the tank tops, sweater, jacket, black comfy walking shoes, scarves, etc. all dark colors). The temps look reasonable but it is England so you never know, right? I found a new messenger bag (cheap on amazon) that might work better than my Bagalini (too small). I've checked and re-checked my to-do list and I think it's all good.

I'll check back in after the trip and post a report and apartment review.

Cheers!

And we leave England on Friday for Switzerland! The weather has turned lovely here. Sunny and mid 60s to low 70s. Your staples sound good for here. Have a great trip!

I just posted the first few days of my trip report in that thread.

Paulette, it was hot while we were in England. July 1st in London was apparently the hottest it had ever been there in July. We were woefully overdressed! Needed more shorts and fewer jeans. Oh well, this was our first and hopefully last high summer trip (the luxury of being childfree) so the staples should work well for next trip (October in France). :)

The first part of July, when we were in Switzerland, was hot but the second half was cold and wet!! You were lucky to get the sunny days. Jeans are too heavy here when it is hot - because it can get humid.

I am enjoying your trip report!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina