• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Information 31 Day Overseas Vacation & Social Security


100+ Posts
This is just informational for any retired folks from the states that may have missed this.

I recently applied for Social Security. They sent me a list of reporting responsibilities, stating failure to report may result in over-payments that must be repaid, including possible monetary penalties.

So I am reading the list and there are common sense things like, "Your citizenship changes", "Beneficiary dies", ...etc... Then I see, "You go outside the U.S.A for 30 consecutive days or longer". That's kind of a shocker

If I am reading this right. if I decided to take a month and a half vacation overseas they cut off my Social Security for that period.


Forums Admin
You can receive US Social Security even if you live overseas. My husband Steve does. They deposit his payments to our U.K. bank. So, I don't think this means they can cut you off. It might be one of those arbitrary requirements that no one follows.


1000+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Here's the SSA publication about being out of the USA. If you are a US citizen, you will continue receiving your benefits. But if you are not a US citizen, there is an additional requirement. The publication is very readable.

Personally, my husband and I are out of the country six months each year. Our benefits continue to be deposited to our American bank with no interruption.
Last edited:

Rome Addict

100+ Posts
We have lived overseas in Thailand for 5 years both of us taking social security. We do have them deposited in a US bank then do interbank transfers. Cheaper than using ATMs. I did get a call from SSI wanting to know my address about a year ago. Turns out their mailings had been returned because they had not included the country. With best guesstimates of 1.4 to 7 million retired expats you'd think they'd have a better system in place.

We haven't spent 90 days in the states in these 5 years.

Rome Addict

100+ Posts
Medicare doesn't cover you overseas. I am a retired federal employee so I get overseas coverage through their plan. Not cheap $500 a month.
There are overseas policies for shorter stays vs living out of country. I have a friend who has a policy that has an annual premium of $2000. It is essentially a businessman's policy. Supposed to cover business trips not long term residency. As long as she covers her small claims it will pay out on big claims. She calls it her heart attack insurance. One major claim and then she is back to the US full time. Obviously she couldn't claim for things like cancer.
Our Chiang Mai expat group has teamed up with a company here. It provides the old time "catastrophic" insurance overseas only. No doctors visits, maintenance drugs, etc. But any claims over $1000 it will cover. Runs about $300 a month. Good news is it does cover you if you are over 70. Has a cap of various amounts. 50k, 100k and premiums reflect that. Won't cover you in Australia, Japan or US.
If you are only traveling for a month or so the auto club has a reasonable priced policy or www.insuremytrip.com is an option.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano

Share this page