• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

7 Weeks in SW England/Wales

I agree about the lack of TV, but the location looked about right. If we have a washing machine the week before and the week after I don't think one week would be a problem - still be able to wash stuff out in the sink if needed. It's small but very cute!

For the one in Glamorgen, I agree about the lack of photos! Some places show close-ups of a vase of flowers, or some knick-knack, but all I want are good, representative shots of each and every room - and outdoor space! It's right on the road, but I wouldn't expect a lot of traffic, especially at night. The location was a good compromise, in between Cardiff and the Gower Peninsula. The prices seem to be higher on the peninsula, not surprisingly.

I agree about the lack of TV, but the location looked about right. If we have a washing machine the week before and the week after I don't think one week would be a problem - still be able to wash stuff out in the sink if needed. It's small but very cute!

For the one in Glamorgen, I agree about the lack of photos! Some places show close-ups of a vase of flowers, or some knick-knack, but all I want are good, representative shots of each and every room - and outdoor space! It's right on the road, but I wouldn't expect a lot of traffic, especially at night. The location was a good compromise, in between Cardiff and the Gower Peninsula. The prices seem to be higher on the peninsula, not surprisingly.
True, if you have a washing machine before and after Pembrokeshire, it is not a problem.
Here is another place in Glamorgen that looks cute...nice that you could train into Cardiff rather than drive, if you wanted.
https://www.vrbo.com/6724218ha
Another...
https://www.vrbo.com/8124639ha

Last edited:
If you are in the Cardiff area, don't miss Castell Coch which is everyone's fairy tale dream castle with all its turrets. The inside is Victorian gothic and wonderful.

Thanks Eleanor!

I'm trying to narrow down my choice for Pembrokeshire - yes, I know I have more than a year, but right now I'm really deciding about location - do I want to be on the sea, or in the middle, where everything is equidistant? If the sea, then further south by Tenby, or to the NW, near St David's or Broad Haven?

I have a map, but I don't think I can embed it, can ? I guess I CAN post a link to it? I'll try. HERE'S the map, showing 5 different locations. Right now I don't care as much about the cottages themselves, just the locations.

I can appreciate your problem - Pembrokeshire is big and roads are slow... When we visited we stopped in a tiny settlement near Wolf's Castle in the middle of nowhere. It was convenient for most of the north coast but was still a long drive most days...

We preferred the north coast to the south. St David's is delightful and there is some wonderful walking along the coastal path from there. We thought the best bits were Whitesands Bay around St David's Head and the stretch from Porthgain to Abereiddy. I can't remember when you are planning to hit this part of the country but in May/June the wild flowers are wonderful. Walking along the coastal path feel slike walking through someone's rock garden.

Something else not to miss is a boat trip round Ramsey Island (Ynys Dewi), There are two companies that seem to do trips. This one just takes you round the island, while this company actually lands you on the island, which really is rather special.

The Preseli Mountains are where the blue stones for Stonehenge came from. There are stuffed with prehistoric remains and are easy walking. The views, especially on a clear day are amazing. You can see right the way up the coat of CArdigan Bay to the tip of the Llyn Peninsula in North Wales.

I'd be inclined to discount Broad Haven as the area doesn't have as much to recommend it - I seem to remember we found it a boit boring compared with the rest of Pembrokeshire. It is however closer to Marloes, St Brides and St Anne's Head. But to be honest, I think St avisd's knocks spots off them...

Tenby is a pretty seaside town. Carew and Manorbier Castles are both nice ruined castles.

I'm thinking we'll have more than one day on the west coast - at least on day if not 2 for walking, St David's one day, one day exploring towns like Solva and Newgate. Surely there are castles to see! So that would be at least 4 days not far from a St David's area location. One or two longer drives, to Tenby and somewhere-yet-to-be-discovered would be okay. Does that make sense?

Two ruined castles which spring to mind are Cilgerran which is 35 miles and a good hours drive NW from St Davids or Pembroke Castle about 30 miles to the SW and again about an hour in the car.

Near Cilgerran is Cardigan Castle which has been restored and only opened in 2015. I've not visited it so can't comment what it is like. They also do B&B as well as self catering accommodation....

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina