• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A week in Normandy or Brittany in June

I hope you will get a chance to sample some of the local Calvados that are not exported or sold except in the village of origin. If a strong digestive is not for you, look for Pommeau (low alc - lots of apple flavor).

Food and wine / spirits are so much part of the local experience for me.

PS - I think you should do a courtesy taste on the oysters.

We don't drink much but I will look for the Pommeau and try that. I haven't heard of it before. I remember drinking a Calvados when we were in Normandy a few years ago.

There is no chance that I will try oysters! I've been a vegetarian for 35+ years, but before that I never ate seafood. I'm not even sure that oysters are non-vegetarian (they don't have a face do they? I don't eat anything with a face), but - - - yuck!

I am looking forward to coffee and croissant in a café! And vegetarian savoury crepes (galettes).

well I guess a courtesy taste is not in your future ;)

Here is a very interesting podcast on Calvados and Rum
Mostly about Calvados, but it talks about the history of Normandie, the fruits (apples & pears), and about the cider. I think Pommeau falls some where between the Cider and Calvados.

have a great trip

Yum yum
I checked no eyes
WP_20170610_004.jpg

Last edited:
There is no chance that I will try oysters! I've been a vegetarian for 35+ years, but before that I never ate seafood. I'm not even sure that oysters are non-vegetarian (they don't have a face do they? I don't eat anything with a face), but - - - yuck!

I'm allergic to seafood (my throat swells ) and fish usually makes me barf (sorry for that description), so I empathize.

That said, I'm looking forward to your posts about that area!

Enjoy your trip!

Several years ago we spent a week with friends here near Morlaix, in the Finistère department of Brittany -- http://www.coat-amour.fr/gite-de-lecurie/#!prettyPhoto[Ecurie]/1/. There is also a 1BR cottage on the beautiful grounds -- http://www.coat-amour.fr/la-maison-du-jardinier/#. It's a great location for seeing the northern coast of Brittany, which is the wildest and loveliest. Also a good location for seeing several of Brittany's famous calvaires. You could take the ferry to Roscoff from Plymouth and avoid the 4-hour drive from Cherbourg to Morlaix. Of course then you'd have the drive to Plymouth! BTW, our cottage was spotless and comfortable.

A year later and I am looking at this again. Last summer we went to St Malo and Cancale. This summer we will take the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry, spend a week near Carnac (I want to see the standing stones), then, I think, a week in Morlaix and this place recommended by @Ann .

If you see this post Ann, can you easily walk to shops, cafes and restaurants from this house?

Well, it depends on your definition of "easily," Pauline. I would say it would be about a twenty-minute walk to the area where the Morlaix market is held, near the Viaduct, although the web site says ten minutes to the center. I remember it being about a five-minute drive. I would check with the owner to be sure. It's a lovely area of Brittany!
1515616852553.png

Thanks. I have booked a two week trip at the end of June. I used AirBnb for the first time. The Morlaix house was cheaper on Airbnb than on their website. We are doing mid-week arrivals because neither of these rentals needed Saturday to Saturday in June. This gives us a cheaper rate on the ferry and we don't have to drive home at night on a Saturday night (ferry arrives at 9pm and it is a 2 hour drive home).

We drive to Plymouth, overnight ferry to Roscoff. Then 3 hour drive to the Carnac area where we spend a week in La Trinite sul Mer.

After that 6 nights in Morlaix and the ferry from Roscoff (30 mins from Morlaix) back to Plymouth. 6 nights instead of 7 because of the ferry schedule. We can get an earlier ferry that arrives at 8pm, so are driving home in daylight mostly.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina