• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Advice for Corsica needed

Pauline

Forums Admin
We are planning a trip for the first three weeks of September and have various ideas. I had thought about the Lot and the southern Languedoc (to be in France, to explore more of that area). Then Steve mentioned Switzerland (for hiking). We have traveled there many times, hiked every valley in the Bernese Oberland, but have not been there since 2007. I was thinking Greece (to go swimming and to see some things).

Today we were out walking with Kevin and he recommended Corsica - swimming and hiking and a great place, and it is France. We have not been there. I know Marta has recommended it to me.

I am going to start going through my list of vacation rental resources for Corsica (I don't have many), but any advice would be appreciated. Kevin recommended the west coast from Ajaccio to Piana and up to Calvi (my internet connection is so lame here that I can't get Google Maps started, so those town names may be wrong).

Corsica is gorgeous, literally a mountain in the sea, with long wild beaches, granite villages, rugged walks and nature in spades. The roads are incredibly scenic but the scariest I've ever been on—so expect to spend a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd gear—and the GR20 path over the mountains is the toughest trail in Europe.

But it does have four airports so you can get pretty close to your destination. The west coast is indeed nice, but so too is the south and far southeast (around Sartène, Bonifacio and Porto Vecchio). One of the best sites for holiday homes is http://www.corsica.co.uk.

We stayed in Calvi which is pretty touristy but the beach is great. We stayed about a mile out of town and loved that area of the beach. Sandy shallow lovely swimming. You can catch the ferry from Nice. There are ferries to several cities. We flew back to Amsterdam from Calvi. Also at the time Club Med cruises docked there. It probably isn't the best place to stay because of the tourism but we were off season late June.

Check out Doug Phillips trip report and blog. He went in October.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina