• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Advice on using AA miles

Having said all of this… We are going to Italy in April. After following my own instructions for a week or two I threw up my hands in regards to using miles and bought the damn tickets.

:D:D:D
I hear you.

In regards to the taxes and fees, I don't think those are imposed by BA, but rather by the government and the airport. Heathrow is just ridiculous.

No, BA adds its own fees on awards to the government-imposed taxes. Again searching Oct. 13, I'm showing the fees quoted on non-stop London Heathrow-New York JFK flights, , the first line being AA-operated, the second on BA, the columns being Main Cabin, Premium Economy, and Business.
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 9.44.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 9.45.03 PM.png

If you search from elsewhere in Europe to the U.S. connecting at LHR, there's also a difference depending on whether the transatlantic flight is AA- or BA-operated. Part of the government fees are only collected for passengers starting the trip in the U.K., not those connecting.

I'm giving up on this, I go in and get different results. I don't see a new version or old version, just the same version I always get when I log in.

It's every man and/or woman for his or her self. :D

This is such a frustrating topic. All the Milesaver tickets from ORD to CDG require a stop even on First Class. Only coach is nonstop. We will suck it up and go coach.We were trying to use miles for a trip to Greece and we were on
line exactly 330 days before and could not get tickets. I also tried some of the business class consolidators but they made me very nervous and they turned out to be not that much of a bargain.After several days of looking at every option I could think of we bought a ticket through the travel agent that is running the alumni tour. It was 300 dollars more than skybox but I will be sure it is a real ticket.

Strange as it may seem, you should check using the JAL ff program and/or Alaska Air. They may show different availability and they are all part of the Oneworld program so you can book AA flights through those sites.
You could also consider using a service to see if they can find seats for you. Check out Gary Leff's blog ' View from the Wing - I have not used him or a service but others find it quite useful. There is a cost but it might be well worth it if you can get the flights you want. Good luck!

So does the JL site have just JAL flights? I will check to see where they fly. I will also try View from from the Wing. It is worth paying if I can rid of these miles. They are getting less valuable by the day. Has anyone use any of the business consolidators? I have heard some stories but have no idea if they are true.

I don't know how much anyone's thinking of this these days, but from View from the Wing: American Airlines Decommissions Old Award Search Tool & Calendar. In the comments it's mentioned that one can still get the "old" view by doing a multi-city search, and it appears to work also if the two lines in fact represent a round trip, such as in the line for Flight 1 BOS-FCO, and Flight 2 FCO-BOS.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina