• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Airlines that fly Italy to UK

italian excursion

100+ Posts
Those of you who travel between Italy and Great Britain, please clue me in on the best airlines for domestic flights. I had a bad experience with Ryan Air a couple of years ago and flew on Meridian once, years ago but there must be others. Need to get my next trip planned and I want to visit Pauline & Steve!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

So do you mean an airline flying between Italy and Great Britain? As I understand the term, "domestic" would be within one country or the other, and perhaps the title should be changed.

I'll change the title. We fly British Airways from Heathrow or Gatwick to France and Italy. EasyJet flys from Gatwick and other airports. There are other airlines like Monarch and Flybe that fly from the UK to Europe.

@italian excursion If you fly into Gatwick you can take a train to Dorchester (closest train station to Bridport). Closest airport is Exeter but there are not many flights. Southampton is closer and the train goes from there.

BA certainly do a few routes, to Heathrow and Gatwick (which aren't ideal for us, but should be good for you)

Ryanair do lots, mainly to Stansted (which is not too convenient or you, but convenient for us). It pains me to say this but Ryanair have improved a little in recent years. Gone is the irritating landing advert, and they aren't as aggressive with customers as they were. They even stopped checking cabin bag sizes, though as so many were abusing this leeway, I'm actually supportive of them picking out the worst excesses and forcing them to pay to put bags in the hold. As for hold luggage, at least at the Italian side, they are now much more relaxed about hold luggage weights. I'd expected to have to shuffle some weight between hold and carry on, but they waved it through with a smile.

Easyjet are similar to Ryanair, but never quite as nasty. They mostly base out of Luton, which isn't great for us, and not really ideal for you.

Definitely worth checking local airport sites to see what flights go there. I checked Southampton and they are showing a twice weekly flight Verona - Southampton in summer. http://www.southamptonairport.com/destinations/italy/verona/

Southampton is very convenient for Dorset, just one county across

Bournemouth, even more convenient and it shows Torino, Napoli and Verona.
http://www.bournemouthairport.com/destinations-and-guides/a-z-list-of-destinations/

Even if this costs a bit more, there is less pain flying into a smaller provincial airport, than the likes of Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester which are all very busy / hectic.

OK, folks, lots of information for me to digest. Thank you! Now I just need to sort through it all. I'm still debating if I want to have GB as the first leg or at the end of my trip. And I'll need some suggestions for a B & B in Bridport, Pauline. I'm thinking about 4 days in your village.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

I flew from Milan Malpensa in March. I had thought about a cheaper airline, but since I had to check a bag, BA was about the same price. It was a good experience.

Last edited:
I'm still debating if I want to have GB as the first leg or at the end of my trip.
If this would be a transatlantic open-jaw flight booking, it's often preferable to have the arrival rather than the return departure be in GB because of the departure taxes. This is especially the case with premium classes booked with miles; if it's a paid trip, you should get quoted inclusive fares and see how the options compare.

Very justified anger at the disrespectful way in which Ryanair is cancelling flights at short notice due to mismanagement of staff holiday scheduling and, rather grotesquely, is trying to make its timekeeping stats look better.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41304456

Anyone flying Ryanair in the next 6 weeks is at risk of cancellation, but hopefully the company will be pressured into earlier advice to customers.

... and this after they'd been slowly rebuilding their reputation, badly tainted by previous poor treatment of customers.

and Ryanair have now published the cancelled flights up to end of October (on their website)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina