• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Amalfi Coast in April?

HarveyK

10+ Posts
We are starting to plan a trip for the early part of April, 2019 to the Amalfi Coast, with 2 other couples. Any clues to the weather or hotel with sea view recommendations?

The one time I recall us being there at that time of the year, it picked up mid April (a local said it had been chilly before that week). As long as it stays mostly dry, that should be great for walking and the spring flowers should be out.

In terms of hotels, plenty have great views, so might be worth also giving some thought to which town/village to stay in. If wanting to be energetic and do a good number of day trips, then Sorrento (not technically on the AC) and Amalfi have good connections. If wanting peace, relaxation and the best views, then Ravello would be my recommendation. Positano & Praiano have their fans as well.

Alternatively to getting a hotel for 6, the local Amalfi folk at L'altracostiera act as agents for a number of holiday rentals, including a number of larger places. This can be a great option if you're really happy in each other's company, and would enjoy relaxed 'picnic at home' meals and hitting the markets / food shops, as well as eating out.

Regards
Ian

The cheapest option is to stay in Salerno. The city is 5 kms from Vietri sul Mare (the first city of the Amalfi Coast) and has a wide range of hotels, hostels, B & B, and apartments, all of good quality and excellent prices. From the port you can take a boat available in Salerno that will take you in a short time to the main cities of the Amalfi Coast such as Amalfi, Positano, Mairoi, and even the island of Capri. Being Salerno a less tourist city, you will find the best prices.

Hotels in the main cities of the Amalfi Coast are usually more expensive than in the rest of the area. The main advantage is living the atmosphere of the city, not losing time in transport and being able to enjoy the city without worries of schedules.

The most recommended cities to dominate in the Amalfi Coast are: Amalfi, Positano and Vietri sul Mare.
I recommend sleeping in Amalfi if you don't want to waste time in transport. If there are people with mobility problems in the group. Amalfi is a fairly flat city (in contrast to the others).

Positano is one of the most spectacular cities of the Amalfi Coast. The accommodation is usually quite expensive, but it is the one that offers the best hotels in the whole Amalfitana Coast. Positano is a town practically of stairs. So you go up and down many stairs to get from one place to another in the town, so most of the hostels, B & B and hotels are usually in "uncomfortable" positions.

If you like the beach, choose the cities of Maiori, Minori and Cetara. The first two have spacious beaches and a place to park if you rent a car for the trip.
Cetara is a small fishing village, where you can live the daily life of an ancient and peaceful town.

Last edited:
We are starting to plan a trip for the early part of April, 2019 to the Amalfi Coast, with 2 other couples. Any clues to the weather or hotel with sea view recommendations?
I’d like to recommend Villa La Sirene in Positano. It was nothing fancy but a comfy base to explore the area and, as I recall fairly reasonably priced. I think there are enough rooms to accommodate your party. There is a small kitchen facility in each room and the view, oh the view is to die for. Positano is a one of a kind, kind of place. Despite the crowds and hub bub and hills and stairs. The Amalfi Coast, in particular Positano was our favourite place of a five country trip in late April 2017. We visited Ravello, Praiano, Amalfi and the other towns and while we liked them all, were glad that we stayed in Positano. IMO it is not just a lifestyles of the rich and famous kind of place. There are accommodations and restaurants in all price ranges. The weather was amazing in late April. We kayaked and took the ferry to the surrounding towns every day. Enjoy!

If money is no object, Le Sirenuse in Positano is to die for. Our favorite place to stay on Earth. https://sirenuse.it/en. Ocean view rooms are stunning, breakfast is included on the terrace. I always drink iced tea for breakfast, and after the first time, the waiter brings it without my asking Since I have had both a knee and hip replaced, the hotel sits on the flat part of town, and the taxi/driver can pull right up to the front door. There is an elevator in the hotel. It's an easy walk to the small town, and down to the beach. If you drop down to the front of the big church, there are some easy stairs. to the beach area. The restaurant in the hotel is top notch, although, a bit pricey for dining every night for us

Since you are going in April, prices should be lower. You can write to them and ask for prices for your dates.

If money is no object, Le Sirenuse in Positano is to die for. Our favorite place to stay on Earth. https://sirenuse.it/en. Ocean view rooms are stunning, breakfast is included on the terrace. I always drink iced tea for breakfast, and after the first time, the waiter brings it without my asking Since I have had both a knee and hip replaced, the hotel sits on the flat part of town, and the taxi/driver can pull right up to the front door. There is an elevator in the hotel. It's an easy walk to the small town, and down to the beach. If you drop down to the front of the big church, there are some easy stairs. to the beach area. The restaurant in the hotel is top notch, although, a bit pricey for dining every night for us

Since you are going in April, prices should be lower. You can write to them and ask for prices for your dates.

I agree with Sharon. Le Sireneuse is very beautiful. It wasn’t in our snack bracket. But we went there for an Aperol Spritz. You should at least do a walk through! In terms of pricing and “high season”, we were told anytime after Easter is considered high season.

I agree with Sharon. Le Sireneuse is very beautiful. It wasn’t in our snack bracket. But we went there for an Aperol Spritz. You should at least do a walk through! In terms of pricing and “high season”, we were told anytime after Easter is considered high season.
But if you are there on Easter Day, you will find a beautifully wrapped, large decorated hollow chocolate Easter Egg at your breakfast table on the terrace. Because it would be too hard to try and take it home, I was forced to eat it while there!!!

Not technically the Amalfi Coast, but I visited Sorrento (and some other parts of Italy) in mid- April 2017. The weather was sunny and mild. Temps in the mid-60s to low 70s during the day, and only a little cooler at night. I took a light unlined windbreaker-type jacket and it was perfect for evenings and taking a short cruise along the coast one day. Mid-day a light sweater sufficed.

I enjoyed Sorrento - we stayed for one week and used the town as a base for visiting Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast towns. I also found Sorrento itself to be worth a couple (slow-moving) days, at least.

But if I ever return, I think I'd consider staying in Salerno to be closer to the Greek ruins, and a more direct train route back to Rome. Also, just to be staying someplace different, and I've read good things about Salerno.

We were on the Amalfi Coast last year in April and the weather was perfect every day. We started in villa in Sant'Agata for a week with our family (eight of us), then my wife and I travled to Positano for another week. We stayed at Holiday House Gilda and it was outstanding. If you travel to Salerno make sure you visit the quaint little town of Vietri sul Mare. And if you are a wine lover, arrange a visit to Le Vigne di Raito http://www.levignediraito.com it was a highlght of our week. Alfonso and Patrizia will amaze you with their wine, food and hospitality.

We were based in Sorrento for our visit, but relied on ferries to travel to Capri and Positano. Train to Naples, Pompeii and Rome. We used a private tour (by bus) to visit Paestum, and it was worth it. We were there in May, and the ferries had just begun their routes -- I believe the ferries begin in mid-May, so that option of transportation is likely out for you.

Thanks all. I have decided to tack it on to my annual painting week in Vittorio Veneto, north of Venice. So will be around the Amalfi Coast from Sept. 7 - 12, and heading up to Rome, where we fly back on the 14th.
My wife and 2 other couples will join us, so we booked 3 rooms at the Yacht Club Capo Cervo Suites, on Marina Piccolo in Sorrento. We figured it was best for getting around without a car, as some want to see Pompei, Naples and the Amalfi Coast. I appreciate the tip for the private tour to Paestum. Could let me know which one? Thanks again for all your help

I see you've already planned your travel dates. In September Amalfi Coast hosts the Ravello Festival. Villa Ruffolo, one of the venues, is a stunning location...even if you don't make it to the festival, you should visit the place. Also, when I know the time and the place of my travels, I check rove.me guide for seasonal experiences to make sure I don't miss something special about the place I'm visiting.
When I visited Amalfi Coast, it was only two of us, so we chose this tour where we could pay per person instead of per vehicle charge.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina