• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Another Canadian Italy lover

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
Hello:

I am a recently retired teacher and an old time Maine vacationer, who has recently become enthralled with Italy. It is my hope to be able to travel widely, breathe deeply and soak in the cuisine and culture of the countries I visit.... Italy being my Number 1 obsession at this point in time.
Ciao

Welcome - Canadian Italy lovers unite! :) I'm a Nova Scotian who fell in love with Italy about 10 years ago, on my first trip to Europe. I've been back 5 times. My hubby and I dream of buying a tiny property in the south of Italy, so we can spend a few months a year there in our retirement.

Welcome - Canadian Italy lovers unite! :) I'm a Nova Scotian who fell in love with Italy about 10 years ago, on my first trip to Europe. I've been back 5 times. My hubby and I dream of buying a tiny property in the south of Italy, so we can spend a few months a year there in our retirement.
Thank you-do you have a favourite spot? It's so hard to narrow down where to visit.

Oh tough question! I seem to fall in love with every region I visit. But most recently down south. We spent a month there a couple years ago and I want to go back for more. I love Naples in all its chaotic, gritty, messy glory. Further south, the region of Basilicata is stunning. I definitely want to spend more time there. We spent three weeks there, and split our time between these three places:
* Maratea - on the coast (about 200 kms south of Naples) is also amazing. Mountains above, beach below...fun, curvy coastal ride to drive along.
* Matera. Oh my gosh, you need to go and experience this place in person. Seriously. Google images of the city...mindboggling. The around it is as gorgeous - rolling golden hills, hilltop towns, mountains.
* Melfi - in the north of Basilicata. The town itself is lovely and has a huge castle, and the surrounding area is beautiful, with a picturesque volcanic lake and a ruined abbey nearby.

(Having said that....Florence also holds a special place in my heart!)

Anne, thanks so much for the information. We are just beginning to put together a trip to Basilicata and Puglia for next Spring. I was thinking of Maratea and Matera as places to visit but I hadn't come across Melfi yet. So great to know about. Re Naples: I have to say I was a bit of a chicken because of pickpocket stories I had heard. Last time we were in the area, we arrived by train and immediately went to Positano. But will definitely consider a visit there in the future. Thanks again!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina