• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Another Languedoc request for info

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
Like skngpeace, we will be travelling to
Languedoc-Roussillon this fall, arriving and departing from Toulouse.We will be there from October 15 for 2 weeks. Did not want to piggyback on that post and my ask is also a little different.

We would like to find about three or four spots to spend four or five days in each, with the ability to take day trips, that likely wouldn’t be too far but still add to the interest of the area.

We like smaller towns and “quaint villages”and interesting spots for walking, and dining.

We will have a car and don’t have to be within a certain distance of Toulouse; but probably not more than two or three hours away in terms of whatever town we would start in.

Initially I was thinking about Albi as a stop, but many people seem to refer to it as just a day trip away from Toulouse. Maybe this isn’t accurate? I thought it looked just lovely, but we would like to find a location where we could stay for a few days and not always have to feel like we need to make a field trip somewhere else to find activities.

Carcassonne appeals, and there seems to be enough activities and dining etc that it would make for a nice multi day stop. My only question is that I have been reading it tends to be a place that is quite overrun with tourists during the day. Don’t know if mid October, that would still be the case?

The other spot that I thought was beautiful was Coullioure. My main concern about this spot is as a beach town, will restaurants etc be “shut down“ in October?

My husband and I are in our mid 60s and are fairly active but also not averse to afternoon siestas. Open to suggestions for any other spots to situate ourselves for a few days. Recommendations of particular accommodation would also be most welcome.

Thankyou!

We stayed near Albi in 2016. We were about 10kms out of Albi in a gite in a small hamlet, so not what you are looking for. However there is a lot more to see in the area as well as Albi. There are a host of beautiful villages and small towns, certainly enough for a couple of days coupled with Albi.
This is my report on our stay. Scroll through to the Tarn section. We were there in October.

Bon voyage

Sharing our experience of staying in the town of Pezenas in case it's helpful.
We loved the Languedoc even more than Provence, and enjoyed being based in the town of Pezenas for 4 weeks in 2023. Its got a medieval town centre that's nothing too special but as a result It's definitely not overrun with tourists either and we felt it was well-priced and most importantly, central for day trips to outlying areas we wanted to see. In the past we found that in a larger city, just getting OUT of the city and onto the highway to start a day trip wasted a lot of time. From Pezenas, or any smaller town, it's simple. We visited Carcassone, Beziers, St. Guilhem le Desert, the Cirque de Navacelles, Narbonne, Bouziques (great seafood!), Chateaux des Lastours (amazing viewpoint), Limoux, Minvervois, le Canal du Midi (my husband is an engineer and fascinated by locks), Lagrasse, Alet les Bains. We also love abbeys, and visited Villelongue, Fontfroide, Ste. Marie Rieunette, Valmagne. We even made a long drive up to Nimes to meet up for lunch with friends who live in Aix-en-Provence.
Saturday is market day and apparently it's the biggest market in the Languedoc. We found a lot of nice little restaurants for lunches and dinners when we were in town, and there is a good Carrefour supermarket. Our apartment was just outside the medieval centre, which meant we were close to dining and shopping.

I was also going to suggest Pezenas which is a lovely small town. We stayed a little further north near Clermont l'Herault and just visited on a day trip. But we did visit some of the places you mention, and some of the others we visited from different bases. We also drove up to see the Millau viaduct and went to Roquefort and La Couvertoirade.
I agree. This is a lovely region with a lot to see.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina