• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Anyone Else Planning For 2017?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I've had trouble going to sleep lately - just can't get my brain to turn off, what with the house still half done, no pictures hung, vacation -to a country where I don't speak the language! - etc etc etc. So last night, just to add to the mix, I started thinking about where we should go in 2017! Right now we have 2 vacations set for this year: a 2 week transatlantic cruise from Tampa to Barcelona, followed by 2 weeks in the Dordogne region of France, and in mid-October a flight to Italy , mostly visiting Umbria, but with a few days in Rome and/or Le Marche, followed by a 2 week cruise from Rome to Tampa in early November.

I really wanted to go to Alaska this summer, but with the house still so disorganized I just can't manage it. Art, the one who wanted to move to Florida because it's warm all the time, wants to take a vacation during July/August because it's just too hot then, so that would be the perfect time to visit Alaska, right? I'm thinking a cruise/land package, about 2 weeks, assuming I could find a good deal. The cruise prices aren't bad, but the land portions really jack up the costs. I really want to see Alaska, and when we do I really want include some time based on land, rather than seeing everything from the deck of a ship.

Additionally I think we really need to visit Ireland. We both want to go, but somehow it keeps getting pushed aside. In a perfect world I'd fly to Ireland in late September or early October, then fly to Italy for a few weeks before returning home - and if we could find a cheap cruise that would be even better. I'm not sure this plan is practical, or affordable, since it would involve a one way flight to Ireland, then a one way flight to Italy. Yes, there are budget airlines, but the thought of figuring out all their rules and regulations, and of being severely limited in our luggage seems daunting. I'm sure major airlines fly from Ireland to Italy, but then again we'd face the one-way price increase - why is it that only budget airlines will let you fly one way at a reasonable price???

Part of this is me panicking about our ages! Art will be 70 in July, and I will be 65 in December, so I want to see and do as much as we can while we're still mobile! Part of the appeal of a transatlantic cruise is arriving at your destination without jet-lag. If I could afford it I would cruise TO Europe every time we go, just for that advantage. I never sleep much, if at all, on a transatlantic flight, then having to gather our luggage, pick up the rental car and drive 2 hours to our destination is something that I DREAD. This is one of the reasons I'm considering staying in Rome for our first few days this fall. Art - the one who does the driving - really doesn't mind, but I feel bad for him, and guilty.

So, anyone else thinking 2017? Or perhaps you're all sleeping just fine!

Aer Lingus is a long-established national airline, although some of their policies may be more in the budget category. For Dublin-Rome in early October 2016, I find they offer one-way fares of €46 without checked baggage, or €72 with a 10 kg cabin bag, and a 20 kg checked bag. You might also try one-way searches for the transatlantic flights.

I really wanted to go to Alaska this summer, but with the house still so disorganized I just can't manage it. Art, the one who wanted to move to Florida because it's warm all the time, wants to take a vacation during July/August because it's just too hot then, so that would be the perfect time to visit Alaska, right? I'm thinking a cruise/land package, about 2 weeks, assuming I could find a good deal. The cruise prices aren't bad, but the land portions really jack up the costs. I really want to see Alaska, and when we do I really want include some time based on land, rather than seeing everything from the deck of a ship.

I am not having trouble sleeping, but I am having intense dreams. I had forgotten how hard it is to move because the moves we have done in the last 6 years (4 moves) have been easy since we had very few things. But move 5 with our very few things, plus our many things from the US, has been difficult. Even though there is no work to do to this house, there are a lot of little things to be done to it. I can't imagine what you are dealing with!

But, all that said, so what if you stop organizing the house for a few weeks in the summer? It will be good to get away from it. I say go to Alaska! If the land costs are too high, then drop that part of the trip. The perfect trip would be to do the cruise and some land travel, but wouldn't you rather see Alaska on a less perfect trip than put it off and never get there? Figure out the least expensive land portion you can do.

Any chance you could drive there or would that be too much? In our younger days we would drive across the US at the drop of a hat.

Additionally I think we really need to visit Ireland. We both want to go, but somehow it keeps getting pushed aside. In a perfect world I'd fly to Ireland in late September or early October, then fly to Italy for a few weeks before returning home - and if we could find a cheap cruise that would be even better. I'm not sure this plan is practical, or affordable, since it would involve a one way flight to Ireland, then a one way flight to Italy. Yes, there are budget airlines, but the thought of figuring out all their rules and regulations, and of being severely limited in our luggage seems daunting. I'm sure major airlines fly from Ireland to Italy, but then again we'd face the one-way price increase - why is it that only budget airlines will let you fly one way at a reasonable price???

Do it! There are lots of great vacation rentals in Ireland. You probably know what you want to see, but on my list are the Dingle Peninsula and southern Ireland near Cork. We visited in 1992 and spent a week on the west coast (Connemara) near Galway where my father was from (we were with my father, my brother and my uncle (my father's brother) on that trip). We also spent some time in Dublin. We traveled in September and it was wet and cold, but that is frequently the weather in Ireland, even in summer.

We fly within Europe on British Airways and the flight cost is not much more than Easyjet when you add in the extras. And we always check a bag each. As @Andrew said above, some of the major airlines compete with the budget airlines. You could even consider booking the whole trip on one ticket. US to Ireland, Ireland to Italy, Italy to US via Dublin. We used to do trips like that on British Airways.

Part of this is me panicking about our ages! Art will be 70 in July, and I will be 65 in December, so I want to see and do as much as we can while we're still mobile! Part of the appeal of a transatlantic cruise is arriving at your destination without jet-lag. If I could afford it I would cruise TO Europe every time we go, just for that advantage. I never sleep much, if at all, on a transatlantic flight, then having to gather our luggage, pick up the rental car and drive 2 hours to our destination is something that I DREAD. This is one of the reasons I'm considering staying in Rome for our first few days this fall. Art - the one who does the driving - really doesn't mind, but I feel bad for him, and guilty.

When we flew from the US we did 3 things to help with jet lag.
1) We flew in Business Class (either a sale or using miles to upgrade). We could sleep on the flight.
2) We each had a set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones which made the flight quieter.
3) On arrival we got a taxi to the arrival city and spent 2 - 3 nights. Then we picked up a car and drove.

We did this on every trip from the US and it made the arrival much easier. Sometimes instead of flying from Albuquerque to a hub, we drove to the hub and spent the night there or on the way - either Phoenix or Denver. That made the travel to Europe day easier.

Steve turns 70 this year too! I was talking with a friend recently and she was listing places she wanted to travel to and I was saying which ones we would never get to (Australia, New Zealand, South America). She thought I was being unadventurous, but I was being realistic. There are only so many years of travel left and I want to do trips that we love. Italy and France, even though we have been there many times. Hiking in Switzerland. United Kingdom.

Just a small note of encouragement -- Paul is 81 and I'm 69, and we're still going to Europe twice a year, which is not an easy trek from Hawaii. We've slowed down, not that we were ever anything but slow travelers. This upcoming trip will be 2 weeks in Venice and 2 weeks in La Morra in the Piemonte, and in the fall a few days with friends near Uzes and 3 1/2 weeks in Sablet. Like Pauline, we keep going back to places we know and love, which brings an added level of comfort, I suppose. New Zealand does beckon, however.

First of all, thanks for the encouragement. I know that we're far from over the hill, but, realist that I am, I do know that we may have to slow down bit, mostly making adjustments like @Pauline mentioned above. I'm going to continue to check for business class tickets for our fall trip to Rome. I can do without it when flying back to the states, but it really is nice to be able to stretch out on the way to Europe. If we can fly business class to Rome we'll just hop in the car and drive to Umbria, If not, I may consider a few nights in Rome.

Yes, there are a few places I don't think we'll ever get to, with Australia being at the top of that list. I agree with @Ann , I think going back to places we know and love is comforting - when I go to Italy, at least to Umbria, I never make plans, I just go. It's like when we lived in Italy and flew back to Louisville - I didn't need to make plans, I just let people know when we'd be there and then relaxed.

I'm really glad we visited England last summer, and at the time I thought it might be my last visit, but now that Pauline and Steve have moved to an area I'd love to visit, perhaps we'll make it there again. (this is you early warning, Pauline!) I'm quite enamored of the Dordogne right now, and because my itinerary keeps getting whittled down, I might actually consider a return trip, but I could easily combine that with a flight to Italy, or to England.

Years ago we loved traveling in Bavaria, and Vienna is still on our wish list, but Switzerland is just too expensive. Perhaps when we get really lazy we'll take one of those European river cruises and finally get to Vienna.

Other than Ireland and Alaska tho, I'm really happy to re-visit those areas we know and love too. It's been way too long since I've been to NYC, and I really, really want to see "Hamilton", but when I compare the costs of visiting NYC versus the costs of going to Europe, it really shocks me! Maybe we can visit NYC one year, then leave for Europe from JFK, Maybe we could do that next year with Ireland!

I'm also glad we've visited Turkey and Egypt when we did, because I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling there now. I wanted to see Petra, but I don't think that will happen.

I'm really glad we visited England last summer, and at the time I thought it might be my last visit, but now that Pauline and Steve have moved to an area I'd love to visit, perhaps we'll make it there again. (this is you early warning, Pauline!)

We would love to see you in Dorset! We both had a great time visiting with you in the Cotswolds.

I would like to have seen Petra too. We didn't even make it to Turkey or Egypt.

Any chance you could drive there or would that be too much? In our younger days we would drive across the US at the drop of a hat.
Art loves to drive, but I am not a fan of car travel. I'd rather fly than drive anywhere - but with security/airport hassles, it's certainly not as fun as it used to be! I can take about 6 hours in the car, then I'm ready to be there! A car trip across the country would be my idea of a living hell.

Just a tip--many cruise lines require a deposit to book a cruise, but that is fully refundable up to final payment and many cruise lines will honor price drops after booking if you ASK for it to be re-priced. This has saved me thousands of dollars, booking early, putting the cabin of my choice on hold with the ability to change my mind with a full refund up to final payment date.
Never thought I see Pauline say take a cruise.
Travel. Don't wait. I have our memories.

I agree! I'm going to call today regarding the Alaska cruise - they just opened up another sailing in late July. It's a 7 night cruise followed by a 4 night land tour. That sounds about right for us, and the price seems good - it's $1749 pp, but includes port excursions and most meals on the land portion. We'd have to pay additional for air to/from Seattle, and probably one nights hotel in Seattle before the trip.

Anyway, the idea of going now versus later is weighing on my mind, especially after a visit from a friend whose husband died recently - now she's going to Barcelona by herself, instead of with her husband. I'm inspired by the fact that she's still traveling, but it will be a bittersweet trip. It's just so much fun to share your adventures with someone else!

BTW, is there a 'better' time to travel to Ireland? I know my daughter totally lucked out last fall and had beautiful weather during a time that's usually rainy. Of course all bets are off when it comes to weather, but I'd like to have some idea of historical weather patterns.

I was in Ireland in mid May and in mid August and the weather was lovely both times. Actually did the Princess British Isles cruise from Southampton which included Cork, Dublin & Belfast.

I've been toying with going back to Venice in Spring 2017 for the Biennale; with perhaps some time afterward in Slovenia. However, it looks increasingly likely we'll need to cancel our upcoming France trip due to family illness, so perhaps France will happen next year instead or in addition. We'll see.

I still have two 2016 trips to book. A couple of weeks in Switzerland hiking in August or September. A couple of weeks in France for Steve's birthday in October. I need to get working on these! And then think about 2017 too!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina