• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - Changes to French Riviera Beaches

Pauline

Forums Admin
An interesting article in today's Guardian (UK) about French beaches. "Under legislation adopted in 1986, there is no such thing as a private beach and the public must have unfettered access to the sea." They are using this law to get rid of some of the private beach clubs on the Riviera.

Personally I think this is a good law, to make sure we all have access to the beaches and coastline. In Hawaii the big resorts are built near the beach, but they don't control the beach area. It seems the same here in the UK, that we have access to all the beaches. I have not seen private beaches. In Italy, there always has to be a public beach section, but there are private beach areas.

The Guardian, French riviera: private beach clubs at risk under demolition plans, by Anne Penketh 8 July 2014
Authorities are serving notice to private operators that buildings must be demolished once permit comes to an end, says lawyer.

Amen.
I thought this law had been in existence for decades but just has not been enforced. I have heard about it as early as in the 80s.
A brave lady even has the great idea of uniting the sections of seaside walks on the French Riviera, and make one uninterrupted seaside walk from Antibes - or even Cannes - all the way to Menton. Needless to say, she has had a lot of trouble trying to get this idea executed. But she has been making some progress. Fingers crossed for her.

Do you have links to any articles about this Parigi? Even if in French. I would love to read more about it.

It seems like the law has been there since 1986 but was not always enforced.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina