• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - Chipping Norton in the Cotswolds

Pauline

Forums Admin
A nice article about one of my favorite Cotswold market towns - Chipping Norton.

Many wealthy and famous people live in the nearby villages - David Cameron (prime minister), Jeremy Clarkson (TV show presenter), Rebekah and Charlie Brooks (she ran one of the newspapers and was involved in the phone hacking scandal), etc. - and they are referred to as the "Chipping Norton Set", but they don't live in the town. "Chippy" is a lovely and lively town with a good selection of independent shops and in a good location - the north-east corner of the Cotswolds, north of Oxford.

The Guardian - ‘Don’t tar us all with the awful Chipping Norton set’ – how I discovered the truth about the Cotswolds town, by Sam Wollaston, May 25 2015
When I wrote a TV review suggesting there couldn’t possibly be a community spirit in the infamous town, the complaints flooded in. So I visited to see what it was really like.

A photo from this winter when we were there for a visit.

chipping-norton-5813.jpg

We spent two days last week driving around the north Cotswolds with friends from California and it reminded me how much alike the Cotswolds market towns are. You certainly don't need or want to see them all. I think it is better to spend more time in one or two of them and get to know them well.

We recently watched the Footloose DVDs on the Cotswolds where they take you to all the main towns and after about 30 minutes it was repetitive. Each town has an interesting high street, a significant church, good pubs, a manor house.
They are all different in some ways, but it isn't necessary to see them all on one trip.

When we fell in love with the Cotswolds during a 4 week stay in Painswick (where we now live!), we decided to see as much of the Cotswolds as we could over several trips. Each trip we stayed in a different area and explored the market towns and villages in that corner. They were all lovely.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina