• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - Join the queue as tourist numbers soar

I'm lucky because my husband Steve has learned Italian. He thinks he doesn't speak well but I think he does. I know a few words and can order coffee, while he is always have long conversations with people. It makes a huge difference in traveling in Italy. He speaks French too. I understand a bit more French than Italian, but not enough to speak.

Steve speaks Italian well, don't let him play modest! He understand all that technical detail at the olive oil farm, I think he has a high level of understanding, too. :)

After three trips to Italy, Florence is the only location I have zero desire to return to unless a meal at Sostanza is planned. (So good!!) I visited in June 2015 for four nights and the crowds were insane from the center throughout the Oltarno. We felt you can at least escape the crowds in Venice and manage the tourist crunch.

Traffic jam in Basilicata...

DSCI1572.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who's looking for an untouristed corner of France, you might want to read this article in the NY Times:
Is Gascony the Most Delicious Corner of France?
I have not been to Gascony myself, but they made it sound like an enticing area to enjoy France with no crowds of tourists, offering "the patient and curious visitor a chance to tune in to the rhythms of a rural lifestyle that is dying out elsewhere in France." Of course, their "delicious" food is not geared to vegetarians, so I don't recommend it to Pauline, although the hiking does sound good.

... I have not been to Gascony myself, but they made it sound like an enticing area to enjoy France with no crowds of tourists, offering "the patient and curious visitor a chance to tune in to the rhythms of a rural lifestyle that is dying out elsewhere in France." Of course, their "delicious" food is not geared to vegetarians, so I don't recommend it to Pauline, although the hiking does sound good.

We spent a week there in 2011 with @Chris and liked the area. I was worried about finding vegetarian dishes in restaurants, but we did fine. I even did a blog post about our lunches - Lunch in Gascony.

It was not a touristy area and there are amazing things to see. I listed several of them in my Day Trips section. We rented a house near Condom - worth it for the town name alone. One of the religious trails that lead to Spain pass through there. I would happily go back to the area. Thanks for the article link. We did not find much hiking - but didn't know where to look.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina