• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - St Ives council toys with banning outsiders buying holiday homes

Pauline

Forums Admin
The Guardian - St Ives council toys with banning outsiders buying holiday homes, by Steven Morris, 17 November 2014
Cornwall town’s increasing popularity raises growing local concerns about new developments aimed at tourists

Isn't this the same everywhere? Artists move to a place, make it a great place to be, tourists and second home owners come, prices go up, older artist do well because they were there first, younger artists can no longer live there, locals can no longer live there.

The same thing happened in Santa Fe. We moved there in 1990 because it as a happening little town (and it still is) but during our 20 years there we saw more and more tourists (and I appreciate all the good things they brought) and more and more second home owners and vacation rentals. Locals and new comers were priced out of the historic neighborhoods.

But, in Santa Fe the city could sprawl, so affordable areas were developed. In St Ives, the sprawl is in Carbis Bay, but I think that area is pretty much built out. I read many articles here about problems in Cornwall for the locals. It has turned into a very popular holiday destination for Brits.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina