• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article - What if Downton Abbey told the truth about Britain?

PBS did a series called Manor House, which I thought did a pretty good job of showing more of the reality of the life dramatized in Downton Abbey. It was one of those series where they got modern-day people to volunteer to take on the roles of people living in a house similar to that in Downton Abbey. Some of the people who were "servants" quit part way through because they could not take the reality of what servants had to do and how they were treated in those days. Also, the people playing the aristocrats (especially, as I recall, the woman in the role of the lady of the house) became totally obnoxious, lording it over the servants and reveling in their upper-class positions. I think that series probably gave a much more realistic view of what life would have been like then. Those in the US can get that series on Netflix -- not sure about availability in the UK. Maybe it was originally on BBC -- I don't know.

That said, I do still enjoy Downton Abbey, just as a soap opera, and because there is some really excellent acting in the series.

I love Maggie Smith! And I totally agree she's the best thing about Downton Abbey. I'm not sure I'd continue to watch it if it weren't for her.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina