• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Auto Europe and Hertz in Dijon France

chiaro di Luna

100+ Posts
Question?
I Paid Hertz Dijon car rental through Auto Europe.ca in full when I booked online.
I got charged an extra 179 euro today.
What is best way to get this charge removed?
I returned the car with a full tank, no damage and did not go on toll roads.

I've just had similar with AE/Hertz in Italy. I've filled out Auto Europe's customer service form at https://www.autoeurope.com/customerservice.cfm and am hoping AE's customer service will come through. As attachments I attached a scan of the contract where the attendant on arrival jotted that the tank was full, and the receipt showing Hertz's itemizing of the charges, which can be retrieved at hertz.com > Customer Support > Copy of Receipt, with a link that lets you get it with your last name and license number. My receipt showed the charge for the full tank, although I returned it full, and said that I agreed to have them convert the euro charge to USD (at a higher rate than the card would convert), when I did no such thing.

We usually add a second driver (me) and there is a daily charge for that charged locally. Any other local charges are listed on your AutoEurope contract.

I took full package, no extra driver.
got the hertz receipt with instructions above by andrew.
they have charged an extra day, VAT, road taxes daily,
and other unreasonable fees.
have contacted amex.
called auto europe customer service---call back mon-fri, 9-5
and filled in auto europe customer service form, so far.
it is easiest to go through auto europe to avoid confusion in french.
so still working on it.

Okay, I think it is resolved. All that was necessary was to contact customer service at autoeurope.ca by phone during office hours M-F, and they dealt with
Hertz in Dijon, France.
Hertz apologized for billing extra day rental and will be refunding that portion. Other charges remain and we were not told about them when picking car up.
In the future we will make sure pick up and drop off times are recorded correctly.

The same thing happened to us a few years ago. Rented in Aix and returned at the Marseille airport. Hertz hurried us through, then we saw the extra charges. We went through AutoEurope to dispute, but would have escalated to the credit card company if they'd not refunded the charges.

In other words, you can file a dispute for the charges through your credit card company.

Autoeurope suggested we deal with them to not complicate matters, as my first instinct was to contact the credit card company. We are ok with the resolution but when I booked the complete package through Autoeurope---no deductible , all extras included I was surprised to see such a high charge on the card when I got home. (mostly for the extra day). Atleast I didn't have to deal with Hertz in french.
Never had these extra charges when returning car to hertz at FCO.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina