• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Bath to Chipping Campden

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be driving from Bath, picking up our car at Hertz on Windsor Bridge Rd heading to our cottage in CC. Pauline ( and I know there's a way to highlight your name, right?), if you're still in Painswick, it looks like taking the M5 makes the most sense, but if you're not still there, an alternate route takes the same time, but I have no way of knowing if one route/road is better. The alternate route takes the A46 to Tetbury, then A429 thru Cirencester, then the A424/A4 into CC. Any suggestions?

I have been thinking about your day driving from Bath to Chipping Campden. First a few questions:

- Have you and Art driven in England before?
- Is Art driving with you navigating?
- Is the one who will be the passenger a nervous driver in the US or in Italy?

I ask this because we recently had an interesting experience with two American friends staying in the north Cotswolds. The driver was used to driving in Italy but had not driven in the UK. The passenger was a nervous driver/passenger even in the US but was really nervous in England. The day they picked up their rental car in Oxford was a bit of a nightmare and, I think, set up a pattern for their whole trip where the passenger never got comfortable with the driving, so they ended up not taking advantage of having the car.

I think of you driving on your first vacation driving day from Bath to Chipping Campden. Our friends did a few things wrong. They had booked an automatic but were given a manual and didn't refuse it. The passenger hated the car, felt it was jerky driving. They did not have a GPS and a good map, so got very lost coming out of Oxford (which is very busy and confusing). They ended up driving for two hours instead of one to get to their cottage.

For many years when we traveled to England Steve drove and I navigated. I started driving here during our 2007 trip. Steve is a great driver and has driven on the left regularly since 1988. But, as the passenger, I always felt he was too close to the side of the road, and was going too fast. He wasn't driving fast and the roads are very narrow, with no shoulders (there is no room beside the edge of the lane to pull off the road), that it just seems like you are too close. I did not like going on the narrow lanes because I sat there with a clenched stomach waiting for a head-on collision. And it was hard sometimes to navigate because the road signs are small and sometimes we missed them.

Note that A roads (red on the map) are always one lane in each direction with a line down the middle. B roads (yellow on the map) might be a bit narrow but usually have a line in the middle. When they stop drawing the line, it is because the road is too narrow to officially fit a car in each direction - although usually you can get by each other. The "lanes" are like the white roads in Italy, except they are paved. But they are very narrow, wide enough only for one car. However, you really get used to them. There are lots of pullouts (laybys) so when you see a car coming towards you, you pullover and they go by.

Now I love driving here. It is easier being the driver. On the lanes you can see better. It is easy to stay on the correct side of the middle line. Sometimes I do get too close to the edge of the road on the passenger side - you can't help it!

All this is to say that I will send you directions for the best way to get out of Bath. That Windsor Bridge location is very good because you can drive out of Bath without driving in the city (Bath is very crowded with traffic).

I would love you to come for lunch in Painswick, but getting onto the M5 after Painswick might be a bit shocking (motorway with 3 lanes in each direction) - but it might not. It is an ugly route though. There is another route from Painswick that joins up with that route through Tetbury (you join it near Northleach) and is prettier. But part of that route is busy and a bit tricky.

So, answer my driver questions and if you think this first day of driving on this vacation is likely to be traumatic, then maybe we should meet somewhere on your route via Tetbury/Cirencester/Northleach. But if you think getting out of the car half way and visiting with friends will make the driving day easier, let's do that.

Are you going to visit Castle Combe or Laycock? They are both just north of Bath, almost on the way (but not quite). Both are pretty but touristy.

----------------------

To turn someone's name into a link so they get a notification, start the name with the "@" sign - @artnbarb - the member name popups up in a little box and you click on it.

OK, here's a long answer: We have reserved an automatic and I'll make sure to insist we get one. Art might say it's ok, but he does agree that an automatic is preferable.

Art is probably the better driver, but he has his moments. The plan now is for Art to drive and me to navigate using both a map and the GPS on our smartphone - assuming we can get a signal. We've driven in Scotland - for 2 weeks - and returning the car in Glasgow was extremely frustrating - but we lived to tell the tale and are still married. I do remember the major motorways being difficult to navigate - once, we knew we were on the correct road, (an M, so multi-lanes in each direction), but until we'd passed a few exits we didn't know if we were going in the right direction or not. And we were not, so we just got off at the next exit and turned around. With roundabouts we made the rule that we had to drive around at LEAST 3 times to make sure we had read all the signs and knew all our options.

A few sort-of related thoughts: When Art was restricted from driving for 3 months in Feb/Mar/Apr it was very, very painful.. Art's not used to being in the passenger's seat - he gasped out loud everytime he thought I got too close to a tree, or mailbox, or even the edge of the road. (How I've managed to drive all these years is apparently a miracle!) Generally speaking I'm better with his driving than he is with mine, so Art will do the driving. I think I'll be better at reading the map/signs/GPS than he will, so fingers crossed.

Also, friends of ours in Italy brought their car with them from England. Both Art and I agree that riding in the passenger's seat is terrifying, and that our friends drive way too close to the center line!

We would LOVE to have your directions out of Bath, altho getting OUT of a town seems easier than getting IN! I think our preference would be to meet you for lunch wherever you think is best. Since Painswick isn't your permanent home, and esp since you're considering moving, I don't feel the need to see your house as much as I might under different circumstances. We do not plan to stop anywhere along the way - I think getting out of Bath, getting to you, (wherever that might be), then getting to our cottage in CC will be enough driving for one day, and hopefully we won't get off on the wrong foot - being on the 'wrong' side of the road and the car is more than enough!

I'm trusting your experience in both marriage and driving - you've been on both sides of the car/road and have also navigated the difficulties that every couple faces when driving - multiplied by infinity when you're on vacation AND on the 'other' side!

It will be an easy drive out of Bath. I will email you the driving instructions with notes about landmarks to look for.

Driving in Europe can be stressful on a marriage! I have friends who did one driving trip in Europe and then never again because they had fights will driving. I am a bit of a backseat driver (who would have guessed that?) and can make Steve annoyed :)

I agree about Painswick. We are in a leaving frame of mind. There are a few places we could meet on your route. You will drive right through Tetbury (Prince Charles has his country house there and Diana used to spend a lot of time there (I know you are a Diana fan)). Maybe we can meet in Cirencester? It is a bigger town but I will tell you exactly where to park. Or we could even meet on Minchinhampton Common for a picnic lunch. Maybe @jonathan would join us.

I will get this figured out soon so you can print things out before you leave for Italy.

thank you! Driving in Italy is stressful enough, but England presents it own special challenges! We're happy to meet you anywhere you think would work for all of us. We plan to leave Bath in the morning, not too early, maybe by 10? but then you never know what will happen once you get to the rental agency - and then there's the driving itself! I'm sure your directions and landmarks will be invaluable.

Yes, I'm a 'fan' of Diana, but not so much that I'd stop to look at places she used to live. And of course you know I'm NOT a fan of Charles at all, so there's no appeal in Tetbury, unless it's a charming village on its own.

Knowing that we're coming earlier, and assuming we don't get lost, maybe you can also suggest something for us to do if we get to our destination too early - but chicken me doesn't really want to venture too far off our assigned route - at least no within the first few hours of driving.

Thanks for all your help - we're so looking forward to seeing you and Steve again - but why do I think @jonathan and Phillipa might be away during the time we're there?

We're in California from 1st -19th July, but home for a couple of weeks after that - I can't remember your arrival date, Barbara.

We arrive in The Cotswolds on July 18, and fly home on July 29. I would like to think about something special for Art's birthday on July 27, a Monday. If anyone has a suggestion for what to do or where to go, and would like to join us that would be great!

I reviewed the driving directions from Bath to Chipping Campden, via Cirencester and Stow, and it is an easy drive. You have to watch the signs and pay attention, but there is really only one freaky huge roundabout (one of a series of 5 roundabout around Cirencester) and you are doing a LEFT on it, which is first exit and super easy. It will take about two hours to drive from Bath to Chipping Campden. (There is a faster route, but you are on the Motorway. This route is a better introduction to the Cotswolds.)

You drive by the main Cotswolds Tourist office, on the A429 near Northleach, so could stop and get maps, info, etc. from them. There is also a tourist office in Chipping Campden. You also drive by the Cotswold Farm shop on the A424 near Longborough, just before Chipping Campden. If you are running early you could stop here to shop. They have a restaurant too.

First some driving notes:
  • Drive on the LEFT (I still say that to myself when I get in the car). Think "driver in the middle of the road".
  • Left turn is the easy one, Right turn is across traffic.
  • You won't see many STOP signs, just the GIVE WAY upside down triangle, and a solid line across the road. Treat it like a stop sign. More here: Highway Code - Signs Giving Orders. And here: Highway Code Signs.
  • LEFT on a roundabout is usually first exit.
  • RIGHT on a roundabout is usually third exit.
I made an annotated map of the drive. I have emailed you with all this and directions for meeting us half way (at Minchampton Commons).

See you soon-ish!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina