• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

TV Series BBC One - Years and Years

Pauline

Forums Admin
Is anyone watching the new BBC One series Years and Years? It is six episodes and episode 3 is on tonight. It is set in Britain, in the near future with Trump in his second term, the extreme right wing rising in the UK and society starting to fall apart. My kind of TV series. It is similar to Lionel Shriver’s book The Mandibles, which I loved. Not cheerful, but very interesting and well done.

Emma Thompson plays the Nigel Farage-like extreme right wing politician.

We are also watching Chernobyl (HBO, I think) which is terrifying too.

I'm hooked. It's quite clever in setting what seems at the outset to be a familiar sort of family drama (with what starts out as a not very surprising range of things happening in a large, lively family with all the PC boxes ticked) within an increasingly dystopian near future, plausibly extrapolated from the social, technological and political trends of the moment (which makes it all the more involving).

We watched the first episode...and were blown away. Very dense and intricate, we couldn't watch two in a row--but it was completely mesmerizing.

Now up to date and anxiously awaiting Episode 5 that airs tonight....

By the way, Years and Years debuts on HBO in the US on June 24.

We watched episode 5 last night. This is an amazing show. Horrific yet it feels possible. It is the year 2028 now. One episode left.

We watched episode 5 last night. T

We watched it as well.....I was less impressed with this episode--perhaps because of the unrelieved piling on of disasters and the one overly broad sequence. But I will definitely be watching the finale next week. Emma Thompson is amazing....

Anyone watch the finale? Got a bit out there for us but, all in all, we thought the series was worth watching.

Yes, I was gripped by it. Of course the top-level plotline cantered to the end, a bit like the science-gabble dénouements of Davies's Dr Who scripts. Maybe too rapid and superficial for some, but how the family story and the politics all played out wasn't so much the point as extrapolating possibilities and asking what we can do about them. A chance coincidence of timing that we were shown a possible new political "clown/monster" just as the Tory leadership debate was in the news.. !

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina