• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Flights Best airfare sites

Chris, as others have now written, you do not need to pay for business class to get decent legroom. I think most airlines now have some version of 'premium economy' which just means seats that are at an emergency exit (more legroom because they have to allow enough space for people to use that exit and that space is regulated by law) or at a bulkhead where again there is more room and usually an emergency exit. Some airlines sell these extra legroom seats for a pretty nominal amount.

Regarding using points, I have no problem with points. I accumulated enough Frequent Flyer points when I was working for a living, that I never had to pay for seats for years. But FF points today are not what they were back then. Here's how it used to work for me. I would phone my airline and tell them when and where I wanted to fly and they would send me a ticket in the mail. The only 'black out dates' that existed then were Xmas through New Year. I never once got told, 'sorry no FF seats available for those dates'. There were no allocated FF seats then, all the seats on all the planes were available to FF point users. So no need to find a route that my points would cover for given dates. If a non-stop existed I got on it. Nor did I ever pay one cent in taxes, etc. Nothing, zilch, nada. I flew 100% free so to speak on my FF points. After I retired (28 years ago), I flew to Europe and back once a year for 6 years on accumulated FF points. I'd book a seat in one direction and a return 364 days later. If I wanted to, I would just phone and change the return to an earlier date. No charge, no 'no seat available' ever. FF points back then were really of value. Today, not so much. As you say, today the taxes and fees you have to pay on top of FF points can be as much as the cost of a seat is. Now you have to find 'award availability'. Now some FF programs have a time limit on their points after which they 'disappear' if you haven't used them.

So the real value of FF points has decreased tremendously over time. So much so that I think people now have to ask are they even worth using anymore? Hence my comment that 'everything has a price'. There is a price you now pay that I did not pay years ago when using FF points. You pay that price in $ and convenience. If I were still using FF points today, I think I would confine their use only to when what they got me was as convenient as paying for a ticket would get me and for less money. If I can fly N. America to Europe for under $1000 on a non-stop flight in Premium Economy (or $1500 in Business Class), I would not choose instead to fly on dates that weren't my first choice and a route that had stops that increased my travel time and then still had to pay $500 or more in taxes. The FF points wouldn't be valueless, but they wouldn't be valuable enough to make me use them in a case like that.

Even if you insist on Business Class Chris there are still times when paying for a ticket is better than using your FF points and of course if you pay for your ticket it is on any flight you want. Here is a good article on when to use or not use your points. Don't compare your FF points value to the standard Business Class fare, compare it to the 'on sale' fares. And also, if you can, pick which airline you make that transatlantic flight on. US carriers generally don't compare well to others. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/07/23/use-miles-pay-ticket-instead/

And that brings me to Roz who brings up another good point. It pays to know the difference between airlines and the planes themselves. Not all airlines are equal in what they provide and not all planes are equal either in what you can expect in terms of space, etc. So whether using FF points or paying for a ticket, it pays to consider the airline and the plane in the equation. Sometimes paying a little more even a little less with another airline can result in a better flight experience.

Jan55612, it's interesting that you drive to Ontario (Thunder Bay?) and then fly Air Canada. Many Canadians do the opposite. Drive from Southwestern Ontario to Detroit and fly from there. The airport taxes etc. in Canada are higher than in the USA and so driving to Detroit and then flying a 'domestic' flight from say Detroit to Boston or NYC, is cheaper than from Toronto to those cities even though Toronto is closer to them than Detroit is. I think the point is that sometimes looking a little 'outside the box' can be a good idea.

For those who pick up on my comment re Business Class for $1500 and wonder where I got that number, here is an excerp from the link I gave above.

"Generally, there’s been a trend lately in airlines offering more reasonably-priced international business class fares. This isn’t always the case, but we’ve seen some really incredible fares over the last year or so:

Might make some people wonder why they are hunting for a $800 Premium Economy to Europe when they could fly Business for a measly $700 more. Or to Beijing for $350 less. ;) Roz, does Madrid appeal?

Interesting: that includes a Southwest segment, and I don't think they allow booking on third-party sites. They, and Norwegian, also on that itinerary, would need to be ticketed separately, with a third segment on British Airways. I would think a person at the booking agency would need to book the Southwest segment, and that fare could become unavailable between the request (presumably with payment) and confirmation.

Are you referring to the fare CaWino found Andrew?

CaWino, now on what day did you find that fare? I found mine on June 19, the day I started the thread. So was my find the lowest price that existed on that day and the one you found the lowest on the day you found it? That's all part of my point. They infer they find the lowest but in fact it is only the lowest when a whole raft of criteria are taken into account. The lowest on the day booked, the lowest of the limited number of airlines they cover (some airlines as Andrew notes, do not allow booking on 3rd party sites), etc.

The European Commission recently published a study on 3rd party booking sites and the basic finding was that 62% of the sites checked were 'flagged for further investigation.' In other words 62% outright lied or mislead the public.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-844_en.htm

Yet people in general seem to have a belief that their 'go to' site gets them the best deals. I don't know how many times I have seen people write, 'I always book through X site and get great deals.' Great compared to what and how do they know unless they have checked every other site? Are the majority of people really all that self-delusional?

Take for example this comment on another thread, "Momondo gives you best airline prices day by day for up to 6 months into the future." Really? How does anyone actually prove that? Is it simply a question of faith, like religion? Six months into the future? Do they have a crystal ball, even the airlines cannot predict their prices 6 months into the future. Most airlines if not all now use 'dynamic pricing' which basically means they use a complicated algorithm that calculates various factors and comes up with a price in real time. That price changes not only daily but even hourly. So how can any third party site predict a 'best' price months in advance when the airline doesn't even know what the price will be if you book on any given day? Hilarious.

Last edited:
Yes, I was referring to the fare that CaWino posted.

There are sites, such as Kayak and the Hopper app, that give a message of whether it's best to book now or wait, and I guess they're looking at historical patterns that the best fare on the route typically opens X weeks in advance. One can question if they're taking the season into consideration, whether a new low-cost competitor is entering the route, and predicting what the entities that set fuel prices will do.

For my booking, I happened to see on the Hopper app a fare under $450 round trip from Boston to Rome in September, and it was appealing that the return had an overnight stop in Düsseldorf, where we could see friends. Once we established that the friends would be available to see, I proceeded to book. I would normally want to book on the airline's site; this airline, AirBerlin (with some worry because they've had financial difficulties) didn't appear to offer the overnight return that we wanted. I searched at least Kayak and Momondo to get the right itinerary and fare. I think it was with Momondo that I found it referring to several booking sites that weren't familiar to me and some had bad reviews. I went with one booking site that I'd used before and I think added a $25 fee; I have it booked, hoping for the best.

Yet people in general seem to have a belief that their 'go to' site gets them the best deals. I don't know how many times I have seen people write, 'I always book through X site and get great deals.' Great compared to what and how do they know unless they have checked every other site? Are the majority of people really all that self-delusional?

Maybe we should wait until our day of travel, go to the airport, have a look at the planes, talk to the ticket agent and get a good price.

@Sojourner , I think you've made your point. Hotel booking sites lie, flight booking sites lie. We are being marketed to - just as with most other things in our life. Hey - they tell us prescription drugs are good for you and many aren't! We are not idiots or self-delusional. We are just trying to make our way through all this as best we can, finding flights we can afford, using websites to help us decide.

Slow Europe is not a website for discussing how to get the best price for flights and hotels. We are a group who have embraced Slow Travel, where we stay longer in a place, try to get to know it better, see the lesser-known places as well as the popular ones.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina