• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best area to stay in Amsterdam

sharonov

10+ Posts
I’m contemplating a short visit (10 days or so) to Amsterdam next September. The last time I was there was 1969! Of course I’ll want to go to the Rijksmuseum and any other art museum of note, and maybe even Anne Frank’s attic. I remember Delft as being especially pretty, so may go there for a day or two also. So..what’s the best part of the city to stay? I’ll probably go for an Airbnb, but they’re all over the city and I don’t want to be too far from the museums and train/bus stations. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We’ve been there a few times but not in the last 10 years. The last time we stayed at the Sheraton which was a row of historic canal houses. That was a great location, right on the canals.

We rather enjoy staying out beyond the museum quarter, between beatrixpark and vondelpark. It's quieter, leafy even, with some fine shopping around PC hoofstraat / Willemsparkweg / Cornelis Schuytstraat etc., and despite being a little out of the centre, it's not too difficult to get around to other suburbs, and with a little research, there is much to be enjoyed in the suburbs.

For the museums this is still convenient, but if you have much you want to see in the centre, then I'd look a little closer in (FWIW we don't enjoy the centre that much these days, but I'd always recommend people to experience it for themselves, as Amsterdam is a great city for challenging preconceptions).

I'll also put in a good work for the modestly priced Ethiopian restaurants, whose food I always enjoy. There are a good smattering on/near Overtoom. However there is a wonderful diversity in food (and indeed life) in the city, so make use of that to explore.

Regards
Ian

Last edited:
Last year, I spent 5 days in Amsterdam, and in my opinion, it was not too much. I really enjoyed walking the whole city and getting lost in the beautiful streets! But I heard Brussels was also a nice city. I prefer spending more time in one city than rushing from one to another...Still, Brussels and Amsterdam are really close to each other. I guess it is really up to you, what do you want to see. 4 days, you get to know the city better, 2 days, you are just passing by and you see a general atmosphere.

We spent a week at an apartment in the Nine Streets and loved it. It was charming and very central. I would consider Jordaan and de Pijp as well. I wish we had done more day trips, especially to Utrecht and Haarlem. Next time!

The problem with short term rentals in Amsterdam is the Gemente limited total rentals to 60 days last year and starting this year started limiting total stays to 30 days. There has been a corresponding explosion in rental fees.
As far as areas to stay anywhere within the grachtengordel (central canal ring that includes the Nine Streets) is fantastic. Other neighborhoods would include the Jordaan, de Pijp, the Plantage, the Museumplein, West, and Old (Oude) South.

We stayed here for a week
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p318414vb
On the Prizengracht canal. Walking distance to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. Tram a block away. Great to watch the boat traffic from the apartment. Day tripped to Haarlem, Edam and Leiden, Then went to Delft for 3 days .
I definitely want to go to Delft. My husband and I went there in 1970, and though I know it's changed, it's still listed as one of Hollands most charming small towns.

I definitely want to go to Delft. My husband and I went there in 1970, and though I know it's changed, it's still listed as one of Hollands most charming small towns.
Sadly, your place is not available for my dates. But I did find a smaller place, ground level, a few blocks away. Thanks.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina