• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Blogging Question

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
I'm curious for those of you who blog, write trip reports, are on FB etc. Do you do separate entries for each one of thos sites or 1 entry gets posted to all? I'm trying to figure out how to organise my reports while I'm away for 4 months.
I'm not on FB

I think the best way is to keep a blog. You can run one on Wordpress.org, or use your own domain name and run wordpress. Then on Facebook you use networked blogs to link your blog to Facebook, so when you do a new post, it automatically posts a link to it on Facebook.

Then you can start a thread here on the forums and post a link to your blog entries to remind people here to read your blog.

Normally I write a trip report after a trip and post it in my blog, but in the last few years I have fallen behind, so instead I am posting each day in a thread here. Eventually I will condense it to a trip report and put on my blog.

Many people only write about their trips on Facebook but I don't think this is the best way to keep a travel journal because old posts are hard to find on Facebook.

You will probably want to be on Facebook while living in England so you can easily keep in touch with your friends.

That is my answer to this, others may have more to say.

I think wordpress.com (not wordpress.org) is the one that allows you to do it without your own domain name and web server. It's very easy to set up if you use wordpress.com, more complicated if you use wordpress.org to download the wordpress software and set things up yourself to use your own domain name.

I agree with Pauline that your own blog is the best way to go.

The other main option, besides Wordpress, is Google's Blogger. My husband has used that, mainly because he thought it was easier to start in on than Wordpress.

Amy recently set up her new blog on Wordpress: I gather it all went smoothly. I've been following all her Ostuni-based posts (of course!) - the page setup looks lovely on the iPad, but I've just looked at it on my desktop (running Chrome) and the type size & photo layout isn't anywhere as nice...(at least, on my screen resolution, which is fine for most sites). Finding a really nice page layout/theme/whatever, which works well on all platforms, seems to be tricky...

Thanks all. I used blogspot from google when I was in Nice, France. It went well. I was really just wondering how the info gets to multiple sites. Question answered. Merci, beaucoup.
It's interesting, I didn't get notification that this thread was being watched. I hadn't realised there were any answers to my question. It seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes I get an email with a reply. Other times not. So a plesant surprise to see 5 answers!

Yes, Pauline is saying right. you have to make new blog on wordpress and blogger.com and you can share your view on that blog which one will you make.

I think the best way is to keep a blog. You can run one on Wordpress.org, or use your own domain name and run wordpress. Then on Facebook you use networked blogs to link your blog to Facebook, so when you do a new post, it automatically posts a link to it on Facebook.

Then you can start a thread here on the forums and post a link to your blog entries to remind people here to read your blog.

Normally I write a trip report after a trip and post it in my blog, but in the last few years I have fallen behind, so instead I am posting each day in a thread here. Eventually I will condense it to a trip report and put on my blog.

Many people only write about their trips on Facebook but I don't think this is the best way to keep a travel journal because old posts are hard to find on Facebook.

You will probably want to be on Facebook while living in England so you can easily keep in touch with your friends.

That is my answer to this, others may have more to say.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina