• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

British Drivers - no more paper counterpart BUT need check code to rent a car

Pauline

Forums Admin
In the UK you have a plastic driving licence and a paper counterpart. The latter shows any driving offenses and points on your licence. When you rent (hire) a car you are supposed to show both, but we have never been asked for the paper counterpart.

From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence has been replaced by an online service. Read more on the gov.uk website.

If a you (a British driver) are going to rent a car you now need to go online less than 72 hours before picking up the car and generate a licence check code to give to the rental car company.

Drivers can view their driving licence information online and generate a check code to share details with third parties at www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence.

Third parties can redeem the check code at www.gov.uk/check-driving-licence.

To generate the licence check code you must have your driving licence number (from your driving licence card), your National Insurance number and your postcode.

Click the "Share your license information" (reassuringly labeled BETA) and a code is generated. There is a link to generate it as a PDF or print.

This code is case sensitive, only valid for 72 hours and can only be used once.

:bulb: Whose bright idea was this? :bulb:

We fly on Friday and pickup a car on Saturday, so I can generate our codes on Thursday before we leave. I will report back if anyone asks for them.

Like you, we've never been asked for the paper counterpart. I remember hearing a BBC interview with the head of the vehicle licensing agency just after the new rules came out: he said he was just planning to take his plastic one with him on his European holiday, and wasn't going to bother getting a code.

Anyway, if the hire company do ask to see the paper counterpart, there's nothing on it to suggest that it no longer applies - it expires the same date as your license. All very silly - but I gather that it's only UK drivers hiring here in the UK who need to bother about generating those codes.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina