• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Belgium Brugge 2019

Saturday Beer Tasting (Vergulde Fontein)

Our hosts invited us to join their beer tasting downstairs last Saturday. We are not beer drinkers but decided to go.

Again, I was real impress with the space built in the 14th century. Nico started by telling us the story of how they discovered this space and what it took to excavate the space. It took two years to remove some 500+ years of debris.

fullsizeoutput_a54.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a53.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a4e.jpeg

Nico explained each of the six beers served with some snacks. I did surprise myself drinking and enjoying some of the beers. There were eleven guests: an American family of three, a couple of American guys, a Dutch couple, an Indian guy with a Chinese woman, and us. At €20/pp, it was a bargain.

fullsizeoutput_a43.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a52.jpeg

....first beer

fullsizeoutput_a79.jpeg

.....description of the six beers served.

It rained most of Saturday, at times hard. But Sunday was dry for the "Discover Thailand in Bruges"

There were a lot of offerings - fruit and produce stalls; take-way food stalls; trinkets, accessories, clothing stalls; travel stall, even a massage stall, and a hair cutting/styling stall. There were also some entertainment and some fun rides for the children.

fullsizeoutput_a5b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a65.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a67.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a6c.jpeg

Also interesting (at least to me :oops:) to see the backside of the food stalls.

fullsizeoutput_a70.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a72.jpeg

.....hmmm

In our walk today, we decided to turn right on a road we have not been on yet. The cool wind had picked up a bit, and the turn gave us some protection from the wind and lots of lovely sunshine. The road is lined with newer buildings and houses. But there were openings, so we checked them out - mostly green spaces. Not sure if they are public or private. We actually sat on a nice bench in one of them enjoying more sunshine. In another, this is what we saw -

fullsizeoutput_a97.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a96.jpeg

Cows in the city of Bruges!!!

Two new food items in my shopping cart yesterday -

fullsizeoutput_adf.jpeg

Whelks (edible sea snails): Bought some from the fish market when they were still steaming hot. The first bite was salty and sandy. So, I took them all out of their shell and rinsed them thoroughly under tap hot water. So addicting.

fullsizeoutput_adb.jpeg

Cherries: Quite good but rather pricey at about €0.25 each from the weekly market.

I can’t imagine running in that weather. The whelks look delicious, I llve that you’re adventurous enough to buy them!

The runners looked miserable. The triathlon started when the temperature was around 90F. I was going to sit on our stoop and cheer them on but the warm air that greeted me when I opened the front door drove me back inside. So, I just watched some of them from the front window.

Not used to this kind of heat anymore. We do not have A/C but the the apartment was comfortable, kept below 75F/24C. Today's forecast is only up to 76F.

I think Paul needs a pair of those snazzy shoes! The prices are very reasonable, considering they are handmade.

Another shoe lover here. Those are dreamy! Maybe they could be modified for women since they are handmade.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina